The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

15 hours ago, jacksonbart said:

I stream stuff now

Maybe it's my provider, but many streams come up short on the audio.  Amazon did give me a refund on Suicide Squad which failed to deliver 5.1.  I'll wait for Netflix discs for most movies from now on. 

On 4/5/2017 at 7:26 AM, Schu said:

After watching Ghost in the Shell in iMax, once again... 

Yeah , screw the critics I dug it . Beautiful and trippy visuals , not gonna win any best picture nods but it's what you go to the theatre for . Stayed over for Life ; stormy weather nothing else to do , completely missable but with popcorn value .

• 2 weeks later...

Rogue One, A Starwars Story just hit the local video store.  I seen this at the theater and like it even more on the HT.  Excellent video, story line, graphics and sound effects.  One name was not used in the movie that occurs in all the other Starwars movies, take a guess?  This one is a must for fans of the series.

MV5BMjEwMzMxODIzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg3OTAzMDI@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

36 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

One name was not used in the movie that occurs in all the other Starwars movies, take a guess?  This one is a must for fans of the series.

It's got to be C3PO, right?  I thought he and R2D2 were the only characters to appear in every Star Wars movie.  Princess Lea was loading him up with the secret plans to the Death Star at the end, but I don't know if she said his name.

• Like 1

It's got to be C3PO, right?  I thought he and R2D2 were the only characters to appear in every Star Wars movie.  Princess Lea was loading him up with the secret plans to the Death Star at the end, but I don't know if she said his name.

Nope. Its Skywalker.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

War of the Worlds  

I've seen this one a half dozen times before.  But somehow never bothered to watch it on BluRay in my theater with big subs.  OMG I thought Transformers had some real bass to it, this movie is perhaps the top dog.  I had no idea Spielberg had it in him.  Whether it's the pods coming down through the lightening, the first one emerging from the ground, or the ships flying by, or the plane crashing, lol, this is an absolute feast of special effects but truly a blast when it comes to sound.  I've never heard any movie do so much on the low end, a subwoofer fan's dream movie.  

Movie = 3 stars

Sound production = 5 stars, highest possible rating

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, derrickdj1 said:

Rogue One, A Starwars Story just hit the local video store.  I seen this at the theater and like it even more on the HT.  Excellent video, story line, graphics and sound effects.  One name was not used in the movie that occurs in all the other Starwars movies, take a guess?  This one is a must for fans of the series.

No idea on the trivia question but we really enjoyed the movie.

we watched Dr. strange that past weekend.  That was a good one as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Not BD, but three quick movie reviews.

1. Silence of the Lambs - Everybody has seen this except me and now I know why.  It is a fantastic movie, well acted, one of the best.  I don't care for the gore and blood.

2.  The Magnificent Seven 2016 - This is the remake of the original and this one is a stinker.  The original is ten times better.  This one has a dumb plot, silly dialog.  Denzel Washington was good, but he needed better dialog from the writers and a believable ending.  This ending was dumb.  Instead of renting this one, rent the old one again even if you've already seen it.  You can thank me later.

3. Dr. Strange - Really good movie, good sound effects in Dolby D, great special effects in the Mirror World.  I can't give this one a ten because some of the dialog was stupid.  I don't like my villains who want to destroy the world to have a sense of humor, it just doesn't work. 

I am a fan of the comic book Dr. Strange and I can live with the Ancient One being Celtic.  What I couldn't take was her stupid smile throughout the movie.  The Sorcerer Supreme who protects our world from inter-dimensional bad guys needs to take her job a little more seriously.

Of the three, get Dr. Strange.  Pass on TM7-2016.

• Like 1

ROGUE ONE - Blu-Ray

For the vast majority here in the forum Star Wars is an old, long running series of movies and while there have been some clever twists throughout the 7 movie arc that has been released to date, there is also a lot of formula that is followed that imo, is kind of old and boring for us...old and boring guys, lol :)

Rogue One took a different tack, and demonstrated for me some of the reasons why a series needs to be changed from time to time.

1) Rogue did a far better job with the dialog than most any of the 7 original movies.  It's clear, it's a bit more serious.

2) The plot of Rogue One, interesting as it sort of was, suffered from the fact that in the end, we knew what comes next -- bothersome.

3) The space battles were longer, lingering longer on the battles, the jumps to hyperspace, the spectacle of it -- MUCH improved over the 7 part series.

4) The ending of this movie, which I will not reveal of course, was terrific, and yet showed exactly what this movie was missing.

The bottom line is simple -- throughout the entire Star Wars series, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Yoda, and everybody else on the LIGHT side are boring characters that nobody really cares for.  Oh I get it, we all root for Luke, but in the end, he "wants to be a space pilot!" and the dorkiness of it...is just there.  They are kids films I know.

The true wonderment of the Star Wars lies in the Dark Side, the "bad" characters, who teach all the real lessons of the series.  In the last 5 minutes of Rogue One, they demonstrate what is both great and terrible about Rogue One and Star Wars in general -- the complete failure of the Producers to understand what fans really want

TELL ME YOU DON'T WANT AN ENTIRE MOVIE SHOWING DARTH VADER, FROM THE END OF SITH, TO THE END OF ROGUE

TELL ME YOU DON'T WANT MORE DARTH MAUL, THE BADDEST-*** BAD GUY THAT THEY MANAGED TO "SORT OF" (! :) ) KILL OFF IN 1.

TELL ME THE FORCE POWERS, AND THE ABILITY TO DO AMAZING THINGS -- MOVE A FLEET OF SHIPS WITH THEIR MINDS -- IS SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT?

In the book following Return of the Jedi, Han and Leia have twins -- twins, not a son, and both are force powers.   Gee I wonder who that could be, the other one?

In the book -- there is a CLONE OF DARTH VADER...WHO IS UNSTABLE, AND THROWS TANTRUMS...AND CONTROLS THE FLEET WITH HIS MIND. HE MOVES THE SHIPS WITH HIS FORCE POWERS.

So while this venue has little to do with pleading to the producers, the bottom line remains -- this is a series with massive potential that will never be realized.

They showed a glimpse of what Star Wars could be -- epic space battles, Darth Vader.  And they still only did that for about 15 minutes out of 2 hours.

MAKE THE MOVIE ABOUT THE BAD GUYS AND STAY ON THEM ALREADY.  I get they made billions so far and will keep making billions, but Luke Skywalker is NOT who anybody is really waiting for.  You're waiting to find out who SNOKE is (damn well better be Maul) and waiting to see the new bad-*** chick try and take him down.  Nobody wants to hear long winded dialog in these movies. 

Nobody cares about the good side of the force darn it.  Pisses me off.  Can you tell?

Movie - 2 stars

Special effects - 3 stars

Frustration with 8 movies that all skirt the fun parts - YES :)

On 8/4/2017 at 1:21 PM, sunburnwilly said:

Yeah , screw the critics I dug it . Beautiful and trippy visuals , not gonna win any best picture nods but it's what you go to the theatre for . Stayed over for Life ; stormy weather nothing else to do , completely missable but with popcorn value .

Yeah, i did not see the movie is really bad. Some people said bad because they really never see it before. I did not mind with the white washing issue since the visual is great. BTW, i am watching the anime version and the LA version is not that bad.

I ordered The Kingsman from Netflix as the promos for the second installment look interesting.  The movie has a lot of action, but just wasn't satisfying.  Some of the scenes within the "bad guy's" liar reminded me of 70s Bond or Our Man Flint movies.  I did like the quote, "This is not that type of movie.". Other than that, meh.    As I watched in order to prepare for Kingsman II, I guess I'll watch it once it's out on video.  It's not a movie I'll pay theater prices to see. 

Resident Evil- The Final Chapter: No commentary on the movie since I just put it on a half hour ago.  I have seen the rest and seeing the final chapter is fitting.  Tomorrow, Underworld- Blood Wars.

For fans of the series, this will not be a let down.  It is pretty good, Alice agrees.

Image result