The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

Watched The Great Wall.  I can see where the critics who disliked this movie were coming from, but having watched a lot of Singapore Cinema it was pretty much what I expected.  The visuals were great as are most in this genre.  This is not a movie great in story telling, but it does provide a good entertaining experience IMO.

• Like 1

Ghost World released today by Criterion... this is a truly great comic book adaptation unlike the vast majority of the Comic book/Graphic novel tripe that comes out of the studio's systematically.

Extras are at a minimum on this release and it suffers from a horrid narration second track, but the movie itself is wonderful with a new 4k scan of the original 35mm print.

One cherry on top in the supplements is the complete nearly six minute Jaan Pehechaan Ho musical video instead of the abbreviated version scene on youtube.

This is probably one of my personal favorite comic book movies.

81vBVSfUF7L._SL1500_.jpg

Watched Logan a couple nights ago.  Good flick but I was disappointed at the R rating.  I don't think it added anything by showing bosoms and flinging F-bombs.  Really wish it was more in-line with the other Wolverine movies in terms of its family-friendliness.  Making multiple PG-13 movies then coming up with this just seems desperate.  Otherwise I loved it and mini-me Wolverine stole the show.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Did you like Scott Pilgrim?

I did... for my taste, I liked the down to earth natural storytelling of ghost world to be more to my liking. I put ghost world right up there with Akira as two of my all time favorite Comic book conversions.

17 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Watched Logan a couple nights ago.  Good flick but I was disappointed at the R rating.  I don't think it added anything by showing bosoms and flinging F-bombs.  Really wish it was more in-line with the other Wolverine movies in terms of its family-friendliness.  Making multiple PG-13 movies then coming up with this just seems desperate.  Otherwise I loved it and mini-me Wolverine stole the show.  

This is why I haven't watched it yet.  I don't understand the thinking that adding nudity and swearing somehow makes a movie "better".

• Like 2

I for one loved Logan. We watched it the other night on uhd Blu-ray, and we saw it in theaters awhile ago. I feel like if those characters were really going through those situations, the f bombs would be flying. I've always felt like action/superhero pg-13 movies were being held back because in real life, most people's reactions to those situations would be consisting of a ton of f bombs. I also thought the gruesome gore was accurate to what wolverine is. He has very sharp claws in his hands, when he uses them, it can be deadly and gruesome. The very brief nudity didn't need to be there, but it helped show how low his life was. Excellent movie, but not for kids.

592ee75b39468_SplitPic.jpg.2242ffde37b07df14f7a69705f54556d.jpg

OK, I am going to give it the full no holding back review it deserves.

M Night is perhaps the oddest of directors, capable of taking one of his children's stories and creating a full-length movie of interest.  I didn't particularly like it, but Sixth Sense sure was popular, as was Signs, which was very well done.  Then there is Unbreakable, where M Night truly hit his peak, created a 4-star movie and took the concept of a comic book villain (and hero) and showed us what was perhaps the most realistic (and not realistic, really) take on how it might really take place in the real world.

Then there was the Happening....1 star at best, then there was Lady in the Water.  The single worst full length production movie ever created.  Truly zero stars, the zenith of bad filmmaking, the worst movie I can possibly conceive of personally. It revealed that M Night does not have a filter, and believes that every children's story he ever thought up and told his kids is worthy of being made into a film.

Then there was the Visit.  He actually broke out of his wuss shell and created a movie with foreboding, fear, scares, and yet stayed within M Night's need to share his stories with kids.  Well done, a solid effort.

That leads us to Split.

Sometimes a moviemaker has a concept and believes it to be far more interesting than anybody else.  And if that same filmmaker has control over writing the film, editing the film, and producing it...there is nobody to stop them from doing whatever they want.  And M Night employed a great actor to be his lead.  But the part was ridiculous, and time was wasted, endlessly, trying to demonstrate the "clever" concept of a villain with multiple personalities. Anybody who saw a movie like say, Identity, has already seen this done and done well.  Instead, he tries to use James McAvoy (a great actor imo) and have him show us all these characters.  Well guess what, maybe 3 might be interesting, but the odd need to try and show us a dozen or more was beyond boring.

Adding to that, M Night decided to finally break out of his shell and show gruesome and sad clips of characters past.  Trying to mimic Quentin Tarrantino's harrowing perverse voyeuristic sex scenes, M Night botches it and takes us down the rabbit hole of a girl being abused as a small child by her uncle.  And the main character being abused by his mom.

Usually, a moviemaker has something in a movie like this called, "Redemption", where for the price you paid to have to sit through those difficult scenes, instead it comes across as a perverted movie-maker needing for some reason to show us child abuse (again, ala Sixth Sense, when it was shown for proper effect).  He really is not a good filmmaker, I have to say.  This movie was close to worthless, with the main girl being the only actor worth following and caring for.  

This was a twisted, poorly written, poorly executed film.  The fact that towards the end he took what seemed like a psychological thriller, and actually was stupid enough to believe anybody went for his concept enough to think someome can "think" themselves into a superhero with special powers, is just beyond the dumbest thing I could imagine.  

As good as Unbreakable was in demonstrating this concept, Split was executed at the level of a high school filmmaker, at best.  

I would give this film 0 stars, except M Night made Lady in the Water, the standard bearer for 0 star worst movies of all time.

So this one gets a 1/2 star, only because the same filmmaker made something even worse.

The ending is even more pathetic, trying to link this movie to Unbreakable, and setting up another sequel in which he'll bring back Bruce Willis as his only chance at making yet another sxxxx movie that he'll rope people into seeing.

M Night is the most frustrating filmmaker I have ever witnessed.  I have never seen someone with good stories and such bad stories who puts them all out and has no filter whatsoever.   He should be embarassed by this movie.  Yet I looked on Wiki and saw the budget was only $9 million...and it made close to $300 internationally.  So he'll keep on going...and keep on sucking.

I have never disliked a filmmaker so much in my life.  

Love and kisses,

RK  

Split was great... the first and second acts of the movie were dry and unrealistic in as far as the acting of the victims. The third act was outstanding and reconciled the entire storyline... the fact that the story ties in is more than just the icing on the cake, its even more than the cherry on top... it's magnificently conceived and quite exciting to think what the next part to the saga will behold.

We have unbreakable... we have the horde... we have Mr. Glass... what will the girls name be???

• Like 2

On 5/30/2017 at 6:56 PM, yippiechicken said:

This is why I haven't watched it yet.  I don't understand the thinking that adding nudity and swearing somehow makes a movie "better".

I'm not sure what is in this movie, because I haven't seen it, but I don't see how friendly sex between consenting adults, or throwing-f bombs, hurts anyone in the audience, including children.  Violent sex or violence of any kind needs to be used sparingly and carefully; when artistically necessary it should be handled skillfully.  In the latter case, I can see the movie getting an R rating.   As to violence in general, there are many movies that would have been given a G if the rating system was around then that are full of violence, including the 1959 version of Ben-Hur.  The film's director, William Wyler decided his own kids shouldn't see it until they were older.  The Blu-ray of Ben-Hur is now rated G.   In The Searchers a pretty horrific thing is proposed, but never done.  Just hearing it talked about was disturbing, and probably would have earned it a PG, if ratings existed then.  Violence, sex, and verboten words are handled so differently by Hollywood that there was once a satirical newspaper column that had a John Wayne type character shouting, "Shoot you, you mother shooter!"

18 hours ago, Schu said:

Split was great... the first and second acts of the movie were dry and unrealistic in as far as the acting of the victims. The third act was outstanding and reconciled the entire storyline... the fact that the story ties in is more than just the icing on the cake, its even more than the cherry on top... it's magnificently conceived and quite exciting to think what the next part to the saga will behold.

We have unbreakable... we have the horde... we have Mr. Glass... what will the girls name be???

No doubt we can have different opinions!  I found the first 10 minutes very exciting, a thriller.  

Once they got to the dungeon, it was basically M Night recycling all the old tropes about horror thrillers. There's the girls looking really hot, and there's one personality ready to rape one of them, but that was thwarted.  Because M Night is and always will be a true wimp when it comes to moviemaking.   He played it off as a personality change but whatever, I certainly didn't want to watch that scene but found from that moment forward that everything was "fake".  

The scenes with the pyschologist were good, where she created some foreboding because she understood him better than most, but always carried fear and aprehension with her.  But like all things M Night, that was botched too, BORING.

The psychological concept behind his movie was interesting. The idea that someone can change physically by having different personalities was compelling.   Could one personality be diabetic and another not?  But to take that where he went with it, and have it be a thing where he can will a different personality to have particular characterisitcs?   LOL is all I can say.  You can pick one or the other -- either you are making a compelling thriller based upon a perverse reality, or you are making a ridiculous movie where what seemed like a mildly plausible theory was taken to someone simply deciding they are really strong and can then bend prison bars and also climb walls!  

GFY is all I could think about M Night at that moment.  How you could keep any semblence of a "reality" watching this was beyond me.  The story line had some compelling points.

Unbreakable was imo a fantastic movie, and kept it's reality from start to finish.  This movie imo was a mish mash of recycled tropes and themes that never came together until the end at which point he made a farce of his own movie.  But hey I could see how with a really chill, sympathetic viewing it's possible to have enjoyed it.

The subdued reactions of the girls, especially in the first few scenes, was ridiculously underplayed b.s.   Some girl kinapped, placed in a dungeon, and within 5 minutes the guy changes personality and is wearing a dress and talking like a woman? Sure, they would just sit there and observe him.   Mmmmhmmm.  No big deal, lol.   Again, I'm only bashing the movie, not you or anybody that liked it.  I have had plenty of occasions where I liked something that others thought was terrible :)

Well... unless you have been kidnapped and almost raped, I think such critique of reaction is pure speculation at best.... specially in light of such things as the Stockholm syndrome.

I also thought the reactions were quite unrealistic, but who am I to say how another human being would react in a similar situation. That being said,  the reaction or lack of reaction by the victims was of such low order of importance to the actual plot line and eventual outcome of the movie that it wa s soon forgotten when the climax was presented.

• 3 weeks later...

Arrival:   This movie stars Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner.  Mankind is suspicious about 12 large alien space crafts that suddenly appeared around the world.  On the brink of global war, the stars must  find out why the aliens are here.  The movie has a good storyline even though it is not mankind vs the aliens with a lot of fighting.  The accompanying audio tract and sound effects compliment the film in setting the mood.

arrivalposter.jpg

• Like 1