The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

• Moderators
On 2/4/2018 at 3:00 AM, MarkPayton said:

Which brings me to a variant on Vasubandu's question: can folks recommend movies with great surround soundtracks that are also family friendly?  Blade Runner 2049 has a killer LFE track, but it's certainly adults (or at least late teens) only. Ideas? Suggestions?

Jumanji ?  Not new but the redone in a 4 K HDR version looks and sounds good, it was redone in 2017.

On 1/15/2018 at 4:41 AM, vasubandu said:

@Schu not sure that would work. I have never seen Jaws.  I am a scuba diver, and after hundreds of dives, I still frantically look around for sharks as soon as I hit the water.  Even in freshwater.  The kids say I am scared, but I am just looking out for them.

Gotta watch out for those freshwater sharks.  Parasitic Lampreys can be vampiric hangers on. image.png.80ad381bcf4b28b2a8a10a9d97e9c3e9.png

On 1/15/2018 at 3:08 AM, vasubandu said:

Tomorrow is a "holiday"  for people who believe in that nonsense.

I, too, am confused.  It seems like you admitted to having illegal dinosaur bones, collected on federal lands, but called a holiday memorializing a man who courageously broke the law as a matter of principle, "nonesense."  Or, maybe you were just saying holidays in general, or taking days off, is nonsense, even though some people believe in them?

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Yesterday I watched my yearly showing of 2001, A Space Odyssey....love that movie, great music in it, like most of Kubrick's stuff. 

One of the greatest films in history, and one of the most controversial.  It comes over well on our 130" wide screen, with Klipschorns and a modified Belle center, and retains its hypnotic nature. 

It's still not as effective as when I saw it repeatedly in 70 mm, on an 85 foot deeply curved screen, though.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 2:08 PM, Ceptorman said:

Yesterday I watched my yearly showing of 2001, A Space Odyssey....love that movie, great music in it, like most of Kubrick's stuff. 

While it just went thru a complete restoration for bluray, 2001 is getting a completely new 4k/uhd rework, rescan and release.

It will be here before you know it.

Imho, it is the great film ever created.

• Like 2

I still have my Jurassic Park Collection of Blu-Rays.  Have not opened it yet because I still don't have a Blu-Ray player.  But if I press it really hard to my forehead and squeeze my eyes shut, I get 13.4 sound out of it. Embarrassing to admit that I still have not watched a Blu-Ray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I still have my Jurassic Park Collection of Blu-Rays.  Have not opened it yet because I still don't have a Blu-Ray player.  But if I press it really hard to my forehead and squeeze my eyes shut, I get 13.4 sound out of it. Embarrassing to admit that I still have not watched a Blu-Ray.

I don't blame you!  It is much cheaper if you resist viewing the latest video technologies... wait a few years for the prices to come down and then watch.   Once you watch improved quality you never want to go back.  

On 2/16/2018 at 7:06 PM, rebuy said:

LOVE IS IN THE AIR---COWBOYS AND FARMERS LIVING THE GOOD LIFE.

SINGING AND DANCING---OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY....

OKLAHOMA.jpg

As some of you know, because they didn't have a reduction printer yet,  Oklahoma! was filmed simultaneously in 35 mm CinemaScope and 65 mm Todd-AO (70mm prints, naturally).  For home video you are given two versions, 35mm original and 70mm original. In the old, shoddy DVD transfers the 35mm transfer was better because the 65 mm original color negative was faded, but in the new-ish Blu-ray restored version, the Todd-AO version is much better, which is as it should be.   There is nothing like the 70mm version of Todd-AO, projected on a deeply curving screen with 6 channel stereophonic sound.  Exposure to same as a wee lad was what instigated my audio hobby.   Oklahoma! started me off,  and Around the World in 80 Days (1956) sealed the deal.  The warmth and dynamics of the magnetic soundtracks, especially when they were double system (a separate, full coat magnetic 35 mm film for the 6 tracks, synchronized with the 70 mm print, in the case of Oklahoma! and 80 Days running at slightly more than 30 inches per second, to sync with the 30 frames per second picture film, was unbeatable.  Ampex designed the audio system, with custom horn loaded speakers by JBL.  My target for HT was always to duplicate the experience of Todd-AO in a theater.  There is a hint of it with our 130" wide projection screen, but, since Robert A. Harris had to scan the negative of Lawrence of Ariabia at 8K to capture all of the 70mm detail, we aren't there yet.  The sound is closer with Klipschorns, modified Belle center, etc.