The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, dm465531 said:

I really liked den of theives. The two major gunbattles gave my PSA's a work out. I thought game night was pretty weak and the best stuff was in the trailers. Not even bateman could save that one. What did you think of red sparrow? I thought it was pretty boring and not a very good spymovie. Not sure if it was meant to be. Reminded me of "Charm School" by Nelson Demille. 

Finally got around to see in Red Sparrow. Agree not a very good spy movie. It was decent, had potential but they just did not sell it. Not sure if it was the acting or what. Jennifer Lawrence character, meh. I liked the idea of how she became a spy, but not believable as the puppet master. CIA guy was terrible. Also it felt like they faked the location. Seemed shot on a sound stage not on location. All in all it just did not pull me in. Top Russian spy felt to me like I was watching the guy on Saturday Night Live that plays Putin in every scene.

3 hours ago, rplace said:

Finally got around to see in Red Sparrow. Agree not a very good spy movie. It was decent, had potential but they just did not sell it. Not sure if it was the acting or what. Jennifer Lawrence character, meh. I liked the idea of how she became a spy, but not believable as the puppet master. CIA guy was terrible. Also it felt like they faked the location. Seemed shot on a sound stage not on location. All in all it just did not pull me in. Top Russian spy felt to me like I was watching the guy on Saturday Night Live that plays Putin in every scene.

Agreed on the whole thing about Red Sparrow.  More I read about the movie and how she made it to get over her nude photos that were leaked it makes the nudity seem kind of forced on her part.  The acting is very wooden and some of the story seems pretty glossed over.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dm465531 said:

...The acting is very wooden and some of the story seems pretty glossed over.   

Wooden, ha! Perfect description I couldn't put it into words but that is just what I was looking for. I wanted to like it but it let me down.

3 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Some yes some no but that has nothing to do with the price , they are expensive regardless .

The blurays are I see and the DVD's not that far behind but the cd's of the concerts are more in tune with what I would want to pay. Where did you get yours?

4 hours ago, rplace said:

Wooden, ha! Perfect description I couldn't put it into words but that is just what I was looking for. I wanted to like it but it let me down.

I usually like Jeremy Irons but sometimes he plays these campy characters that should be oozing with character and than bam nothing. 

2 minutes ago, dm465531 said:

I usually like Jeremy Irons but sometimes he plays these campy characters that should be oozing with character and than bam nothing. 

I though Jeremy Irons was one of the few bright spots in the movie. They needed more of him and less of the Putin-wanna-be. Boy we sure are talking a lot about a bad movie.

How about this challenge? I'm having another couple over that has never seen a movie in my HT. Want something to show off the 7.1 accurately so no RomCom or tearjerkers. The woman has already seen Black Panther so that is out. I've been coming up with duds lately at Red Box. Nothing exciting on the horizon. Suggestions???

5 hours ago, rplace said:

I though Jeremy Irons was one of the few bright spots in the movie. They needed more of him and less of the Putin-wanna-be. Boy we sure are talking a lot about a bad movie.

How about this challenge? I'm having another couple over that has never seen a movie in my HT. Want something to show off the 7.1 accurately so no RomCom or tearjerkers. The woman has already seen Black Panther so that is out. I've been coming up with duds lately at Red Box. Nothing exciting on the horizon. Suggestions???

None my man. 12 Strong or Pacific Rim is about the only things that have come to rent out that might do the trick. 

9 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Amazon and eBay 

Cool sometimes these sites have deals and you can find some HK versions that will be cheaper, yesasia.com and playasia.com. Of course there are others but being Japanese the blurays and dvds will always be high. I have bought numerous things through both of these sites over the years and have never had a bad experience. 

Last night was a doozy folks. I remember watching this in my younger days since the box cover definitley would have caught my eye.  Of course it comes from the production house of Roger Cormen...Galaxy of Terror!  Ok this is of course a blatant rip off of Alien and well any other scifi movie of the 80's. This movie has the amazing Robert Englund as well as the formidable Sid Haig.  It is also known for having the rape of a woman by a huge maggot. WTF!? James Cameron was a unit director on this movie also.  

Now for the movie.  Of course it is schlock.  Going into this thinking anything but will make the enjoyabitly of this movie plummet.  It is better than half the crap that is one the SciFi channel even if this is a B movie.  The effects are either matte painting or in camera and that is always a plus in my book.  The effects are really pretty good and are taken seriously. If you like your movies a little campy and can take some of the sub par effects, by todays standards, you will have a good time.

220px-Galaxy_of_terror.jpg

O buddy, O pal I got a treat for you.  Watched the movie some are calling the scariest in years.  Now I didnt say that but I wouldnt be the first if I had.  Last nights double feature bill was Kong: Skull Island and A Quiet Place.

Kong really needs no introduction and has been out for awhile.  I thought it brought what was best about the King Kong movies to the forefront.  The most exciting parts of the Kong movies has always been the parts on Skull Island.  The monsters and everything that they encounter. Was a much tighter and well honed movie than the Godzilla remake could have hoped to be.  I cant wait for the team up of Kong and Godzilla they are cooking up.

Now for the coup de gras, A Quiet Place.  John Krasinski is an American treasure. His performance as Jim Halbert in the Office is timeless and his transition from that character to this man that is a jack of all trades is astounding.  While this may not be his first turn in the directors chair it is his first as writer and director of a major film.  With his real life wife Emily Blunt in tow he crafts a quick moving cinema gym that relies on the characters more than the jump scares that have taken over horror films as of late.  There are some jump scares but they are used so effectivly that I almost through my tablet across the room when I was watching this.  The sound is another character for this movie.  Watching late at night with the sound turned up pretty loud would be the way to watch this film.  The other actors are also really good. I liked that they casted a actress that is actually hearing impaired and had the balls to do most of the movie in sign language and subtitles.  The mosters are used sparingly at the beginning and really ratch up the tension as the movie moves along.  Probably one of the best movies of the year in any genre so far.  If you like to be scared and are tired of men in tights flying through the air give this one a spin.

Kong_Skull_Island_poster.jpg

quiet place.jpg

• Thanks 1

Have not posted in awhile but went on vacation and have not been at the house to watch movies.  Last night I watched a gem from the hay day of anime, Vampire Hunter D.  This movie was one of the first anime movies I watched when I was in middle school.  The animation is top notch and beats most of the anime made today.  I prefer cell drawn animation to CG stuff any day.  The movie revolves around a Dampyre that fights the nobles, the vampires.  Just think Blade in a post apocalyptic earth and you got the idea.  If you have some time and have never seen this movie you should definitly give it a spin.

814131019172_anime-Vampire-Hunter-D-BD-primary.jpg

Last night we watched Signs by M.Night Shyamalan.  This was the last film of his first 3 that was really any good. He had perfected his craft and he had abandoned the "twist" that he was known for, or so we thought.  This was made after Unbreakable, which at the time was considered quiet a departure and failure from his first major film "The Sixth Sense".  After taking about a decade off from watching this I think it has held up pretty well and still hits home.  The actors and acting is strong with no weak links.  I tried to get my daughter to sit through it but she thought it was too scary.  The movies he made after this one beginning with "The Village" all pretty much go downhill and it was not until recently he came back into the public eye with two standout films "The Visit" and "Split". Both of which are really good.

220px-The_Signs_movie.jpg

Jim Jarmusch... Only Lover left alive is an amazingly good interpretation And re making of a classic Vampire story... cinematic and important this is an extremely rewarding movie and immediately slots in the top tier of films made in the later twentieth and early twenty first century.

I watched this today in honor of Jim Jarmusch's new zombie movie and as a homage to the normalized Hollywood genre films in the form of limits of control (representative the spy/super hero movie)... only lovers left alive (representative of the Dracula films)... and the forthcoming zombie film the dead don't die.

This cinematic film belies the normalised film release of Hollywood and is widely looked upon as a true visual and art directed masterpiece.

Pacing is extra ordinary and is in stark contrast to the "instant on" modern films.