The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

15 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

I preordered Mandy , scheduled for release Oct 30th . 

If you watched on bluray , how ?

No I just rented it on itunes.  It was even slower than Beyond a Black Rainbow. I just did not get what all of the hype was about. Of course somepeople will see it as some mad drug infused dreamscape but that would only cover the last 30 minutes and even then its mostly just plodding along.

This thread is either up or down. I know I could talk about movies on blu-ray.com or some other dirge but those sites are just swamped with fanboys.  Everything always degrades to poop throwing.  So lets get this going.  Anyways I watched "Dont Leave Home" and my Lord what a waste of time and money. BTW I just rented it off of itunes.  Here is the synopsis: "On the urging of a reclusive priest and his creepy cohort, artist Melanie heads to the Irish countrside for an art commission. Telling no one where she is going. Melanie never stops to consider that some urban legends are real".  It really tries to put on this mysterious aire but fails miserably.  Not sure what urban legend they are talking about since none is ever mentioned.  There are no real scares and it just plodds along.  I thought the acting was pretty bad from the lead and the preist was so so.  I am not sure what you are supposed to take away from this film.  It kind of tries to do the ending to Martyrs (* this movie is nothing like Martyrs so please do not misconstrue that statement. There is no violence or gore or anything that might be considered hard core).  Just skip it and save your money and wait for it to show up on Netflix.

dont leave home.jpg

Ready Player One

Dolby Atmos  /  English Dolby TrueHD 7.1

This is a real Audio & Visual treat. 2 hours & 20 minutes of tremendous eye & ear candy.

The object based audio from the Atmos track is powerful, effective & provides a real showcase of your system. 

Chapter 2 & Chapter 10 are both demo worthy material... immersing you right in the middle of the action.

The movie itself is a non-stop cultural reference explosion, filled with fun never ending pop culture. 

Fun to watch & experience, certainly a blast to enjoy the audio & visuals.

yrFodVg.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nismo said:

Ready Player One

Dolby Atmos  /  English Dolby TrueHD 7.1

This is a real Audio & Visual treat. 2 hours & 20 minutes of tremendous eye & ear candy.

The object based audio from the Atmos track is powerful, effective & provides a real showcase of your system. 

Chapter 2 & Chapter 10 are both demo worthy material... immersing you right in the middle of the action.

The movie itself is a non-stop cultural reference explosion, filled with fun never ending pop culture. 

Fun to watch & experience, certainly a blast to enjoy the audio & visuals.

yrFodVg.jpg

Nismo-

What kind of Nismo do you own? Here is my 2011 Nismo Z. Sorry for high jacking the thread momentarily all!

IMG_0930.jpg

• Like 1

I finally got my copy of You were never really here on BD after seeing it for the first time a couple weeks ago... I love this movie more than ever.

200x200.png?format=1000w

I can really see the foundation for the Joker character in this movie. Joaquins name is Joe... as in Joe'ker, and the joe was character loves the color green. Also, the Joker characters on the recent past movies all had facial scaring... the Joe character gets shot in the face during a home invasion sequence.

The Matrix

This was a Day-one purchase back in May & to be honest- I actually hated it upon my 1st viewing last Spring. The new transfer is a dramatic departure from earlier versions of The Matrix. All previous DVD & Blu-ray releases had been authored with the ever present Green hue & tone to the picture. And after countless viewings over the years, I rather enjoyed what the cyber-tech-future-green-wash added to the look & overall feel of the film.  

Fast forward to present day & say goodbye to the Green Pill. 

The 4K UHD reverts back to the original theatrical release for the look of The Matrix... & removes the start-to-finish "Green" hue that has been associated with the previous DVD & Blu-ray's. Bill Pope (Director of Photography) oversaw the remaster for the 4K release & he scrubbed the start to finish "Green" I've associated with the film. Now, the "Green" tone is reserved only for the Matrix World (& "Blue" tone for the Real World). Initially it was off putting & odd (I hated it initially). 

But now several months later & after multiple viewings- my memory of all previous iterations have faded. The new (dialed back) 4K transfer now seems to be the "norm" & I can enjoy & appreciate the new look. The detail & clarity is truly outstanding, many aspects are incredibly vivid & crisp. The new Atmos track is equally impressive. With upgraded audio & video, I found myself noticing elements I've not seen or paid attention to before. Whoa....  that's amazing for a nearly 20 year old film. Easy to say the 4K release is the best way to to experience The Matrix. 

lNw2yAc.jpg

On 9/29/2018 at 2:01 PM, Schu said:

the film grain really bothered me in that UHD/4k release...

it was like watching ants crawling all over my monitor.

With The Matrix? Over the years I've certainly seen my share of grainy catalog titles (or worse, one's artificially scrubbed of grain), but The Matrix 4K is not one of them. Must have seen it 7-or-8 times +  since it came out & grain was never prevalent. Just popped it in tonight; from the opening scene with Trinity in the dark hotel room, hallways & rooftop... to the later fast moving debris filled lobby scene & Morpheous rescue. And I was hard pressed to see significant grain of any kind. It was rather vivid & crisp. 

Hmmm. Not sure. Maybe you could point me to a particular scene that presents a n issue for you & I'll take a look (shrug).

1 hour ago, Nismo said:

With The Matrix? Over the years I've certainly seen my share of grainy catalog titles (or worse, one's artificially scrubbed of grain), but The Matrix 4K is not one of them. Must have seen it 7-or-8 times +  since it came out & grain was never prevalent. Just popped it in tonight; from the opening scene with Trinity in the dark hotel room, hallways & rooftop... to the later fast moving debris filled lobby scene & Morpheous rescue. And I was hard pressed to see significant grain of any kind. It was rather vivid & crisp. 

Hmmm. Not sure. Maybe you could point me to a particular scene that presents a n issue for you & I'll take a look (shrug).

I'll have to watch it again to pin pointa bad section. I do remember it wasn't consistent thru the whole movie though.

The image was crystal clear, it's just the grain that bothered me terribly.  This bothered me because all the reviews have been exemplary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I'll have to watch it again to pin pointa bad section. I do remember it wasn't consistent thru the whole movie though.

The image was crystal clear, it's just the grain that bothered me terribly.  This bothered me because all the reviews have been exemplary. 

This conversation intrigued me, so I acquired the UHD HDR version and I see the grain as well. It's an odd phenomenon, almost like those 3d magic posters from the 90's.. Intentionally focusing on the grain artifacts allows me to see it clearly, but if defocus a bit and just watch the movie it seems less obtrusive.

Otherwise, it looks really really good.

For context: 70" screen with about a 15ft viewing distance.

Some additional discussion in this issue with other 4k releases of older films:  

• Like 2

Don't doubt you guys at all & what you are observing. I find the responses Interesting. Just for point of reference, I'm Art Director/ Creative Director/ Photographer & I've performed image & graphics editing before Photoshop even existed. As a result, (when dialing in PQ & AQ)... my "eye" is often more discerning than my "ear" & grain (even subtle grain) would be readily apparent with PQ of any disc. Not really sure why the variances in grain exist with The Matrix 4K release. From my experience in offering up a review (with pro/cons) or simply recommending to a friend... grain is such a non-factor, I wouldn't even mention it .If I were to grade grain on a scale of 1-to-10 with The Matrix 4K (& 10 being the worst)... I'd rate it about: 2 

30 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Is your display HDR capable? I wonder if that feature is maybe amplifying the grain visibility for Schu and me.

This may be the issue... uhd/hdr is all revealing. I didn't really experience the grain issue on the other matrix bluray releases and of course this is only a factor on movies originally shot on Film of 35mm.

It seems you are using a non uhd hdr monitor, correct?

For a frame a reference also nismo, while I no longer do it, I was also a designer and art director... for more than 35 years. I used to have to draw my Type by hand with rulers, French curves and rapidograph ink technical pens... those were the days. 

• Like 1

I tried to capture some of it with a crappy handheld cell phone video... this disc is division. Perhaps there are some issues with conversion in the software.

The grain and sparkly effects are fairly easy to see in the tonal transition areas... they are like prisms of light. Again, this is independent of resolution.

30117440577_88fc7f7a29_k.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 8:23 AM, Thaddeus Smith said:

Is your display HDR capable? I wonder if that feature is maybe amplifying the grain visibility for Schu and me.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:51 AM, Schu said:

This may be the issue... uhd/hdr is all revealing. I didn't really experience the grain issue on the other matrix bluray releases and of course this is only a factor on movies originally shot on Film of 35mm.

It seems you are using a non uhd hdr monitor, correct?

For a frame a reference also nismo, while I no longer do it, I was also a designer and art director... for more than 35 years. I used to have to draw my Type by hand with rulers, French curves and rapidograph ink technical pens... those were the days. 

Awesome Schu...design brother from another mother. Rubylith, overlays, crescent board, constantly clogging Rapidographs & (sadly the now discontinued) DESiGN Markers were all the required tools of the day. Good stuff !

- - - - - -

HDR capable display might be the contributing factor to the pervasive grain (or lack thereof with non HRD displays). I was planning to upgrade my (non HRD) 4K Display in a couple months. Hmmmm. The only other thing I can think of is how recently have you updated your hdmi cable? I recall when I switched to 3D... my picture was terrible. My 8 year old hdmi cable was not capable to handle the signal. I switched to a high speed, higher bandwidth cable & issue solved: PQ was great. Pretty sure that you have a (minimum) 60Hz, 18Gbps cable in place. Just throwing that out there in case.

I'll update my review when my new display arrives.