The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

No opinion on this one, everyone fell asleep 30 min. into the movie.

Coffee first, movie after.

Some of the best take more than 30 min to get going:

Last Year at Marienbadimage.png.900d614fab580e989ebb69b034e2afbf.png

2001: A Space Odyssey image.png.9446fd74560ce952d0758110c0c6cebb.png

Mulholland Drive              image.png.07784dd0959586370a2aee559feafc7b.png

Barakaimage.png.36d153f4348e565d84887b991bb21f73.png

All got a 7.9 or greater on IMDB.  They all present "a world beyond words," one way or another.

• Like 2

@garyrc: I just watched BARAKA recently for my ZEN moment(s).... that one will put derrick into a deep calming sleep. Great imagery. 

Been a few years since I watched it. Standard Def, but 1st time with the Oppo, 60Hz, 18Gbps cables, etc.

Also looking forward to the 4K release of 2001.Coming October 30th... day one purchase.Can't wait.

txkN9o6.jpg

• Like 1

I'm told to get 4K off a 70 mm original (like Baraka and 2001) they have to scan at 8K, due to the Nyquist phenomonon.  The native resolution of the old 70 mm was something like 4K ++ ... but film (Eastman color) improved a few times since 2001 (the film, not the year), so if they start shooting in 70 mm (65 mm in the camera) again (beyond DunkirkThe Master, and The Hateful Eight), we may have something to look forward to. 

They still could use a digital intermediate for color correction, etc. providing they use a format that is HD enough.

Even with the old ones.

image.thumb.png.eb6f989cbf7c17f7351ddc3ef0a26110.png

No... the mere presence of higher dot/pixel count doesn't always mean a more resolved image.

It's a similar phenomenon to high res audio files... it can mean that only the "bit buckets" are larger, not necessarily more resolved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Schu said:

No... the mere presence of higher dot/pixel count doesn't always mean a more resolved image.

It's a similar phenomenon to high res audio files... it can mean that only the "bit buckets" are larger, not necessarily more resolved.

Thanks.

So does it follow that an increased pixel count is needed as the resolution of the original being considered gets higher, but, as you say, a higher pixel count won't help if the original itself is lower resolution?  So, RAH had to move to 8K to copy the 70 mm Lawrence of Arabia, but he could have copied my old home movies (Super 8mm) with a much lower K without losing resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... I am concerned by that grain issue. It's unfortunate but seems to be a character of 4k uhd discs that use film as it's source... sucks.

It seems that it's more evident and affects the image in low light scenes.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

Yeah... I am concerned by that grain issue. It's unfortunate but seems to be a character of 4k uhd discs that use film as it's source... sucks.

It seems that it's more evident and affects the image in low light scenes.

Ironically, I was noticing it most during the bright scenes in this instance. I haven't spun up the 2001: ASO copy yet. Given the age and wide dynamic range, is it also affected?

7 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Ironically, I was noticing it most during the bright scenes in this instance. I haven't spun up the 2001: ASO copy yet. Given the age and wide dynamic range, is it also affected?

It is unfortunately... mainly noticeable on the exterior discovery one scenes. Still, this copy is WAY better than I have ever seen the movie, including in 70mm.

• Thanks 1