The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

Just finished Ultron and you were right Derrick, great bass. I kept the sub at -2 and listened to the whole movie at -8 and it was great. I still think there were some places that didn't necessarily sound right to me, but overall a much, much better experience than the movie theater I saw it in. I don't know if it dug deep, but it sounded good. Over all impressed.

• Like 2

I might not have Atmos now, but every Atmos mix I've listened to as regular 7.1 has sounded awesome.

Very interesting.  What is your best guess as to why?

Do you think maybe this is unintended consequences as Atmos just happens to mix down to 7.1, or is the sound given more attention because of Atmos considerations?

I wonder if your observation holds true when mixing down to 5.1?

I might not have Atmos now, but every Atmos mix I've listened to as regular 7.1 has sounded awesome.

Very interesting. What is your best guess as to why?

Do you think maybe this is unintended consequences as Atmos just happens to mix down to 7.1, or is the sound given more attention because of Atmos considerations?

I wonder if your observation holds true when mixing down to 5.1?

No idea. Maybe because the attention taken to the mix itself. But I've listened to almost every Atmos mix and they've all sounded awesome. I'd have to check the newest Transformers movie though; can't recall if that was Atmos. If so, it would be the only one I haven't enjoyed.

Edit: I've listen to 5 Atmos mixes: Mad Max, Insurgent, John Wick, Transformers, and Mockingjay. I'm not sure how many there are now, I know there is a Gravity Atmos mix that's suppose to be excellent. I'm sure there are others. I liked of the ones I listed except Transformers....but I'll give that another listen too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rowan611

"I wonder if your observation holds true when mixing down to 5.1?" (wvu80) 

No idea. Maybe because the attention taken to the mix itself. But I've listened to almost every Atmos mix and they've all sounded awesome. I'd have to check the newest Transformers movie though; can't recall if that was Atmos. If so, it would be the only one I haven't enjoyed.

I don't buy many movies.  How do they come in the box?  I usually buy BD in 5.1, but now with DVD, 3-D, BD and now Atmos, are those all separate products?  Is there Atmos BD, or Atmos DVD?

Edited by wvu80

Sometimes the best solution.... is the simplest solution.

====================

I started watching the opening chapter of Age of Ultron, & visually the screen was filled with action & energy, with characters & effects coming from all directions. But the audio (compared to what I was actually watching on screen) seemed lacking & anemic. Nothing worse than starting & then stopping a movie, especially during your first viewing. Checked my settings and all was normal, nothing out of place, watching in DTS-HD + Dolby Surround (heights). Switched over to standard DTS-HD MSTR, but still basically the same, no real punch or impressive impact (still seemed soft, not very dynamic). Before I started messing with settings (which are dialed in), I dropped in Pacific Rim & it rocked the room.  Oh well.

Restarted & finished watch Age of Ultron, & nothing really demo worthy from the audio side. Jumped online & read very similar accounts by many others in regards to the audio (many noted that it seemed compressed, dull, flat & disappointing). I thought it rather sucked.

Then stumbled on someone mentioning it might have been authored (intentionally or mistakenly) at lower levels & to bump up the volume 8-to-10db's higher than normal. I went 10+ on volume, re-watched the opening chapter & it was much better. All the channels & LFE were more dynamic & sounded most improved. Anyone else have a similar experience? 

Gonna have to wait a week or so & watch the whole movie again & see how it works with something a s simple as elevated volume level. The movie itself, meh. (seemed like I've already seen the same elements in a dozen other movies already). Not as fun & entertaining as the first one. Too bad the story, characters & overall plot from this 2nd Avenger effort can't be fixed with a simple turn of the knob.  

mmlQ1C.jpg

Sony Entertainment has begun releasing some hand picked classics that have been completely restored and scanned from film to 4k for bluray release... Called the Cinema Series.

so far there are only a handful and I have yet to receive only two.

Spartacus

80-91higgruinl_sl1500__3ddf8d71b5a990cd4

And FINALLY Coppola's, Bram Stroker's Dracula

80-71lfa8p3ftl_sl1500__c4e67fb75c5e1bd3b

I have yet to watch BS Dracula, but it HAS TO BE better than the original release on bluray because the initial release was touted as one of the worst major studio bluray releases to date. It was so incredibly bad that the DVD release had better picture quality.

Spartacus on the other hand was quite nice in it's original 1080p release... as I watch this new 4k scan, it is wholly different. Much better resolution and considerably greater color depth, along with a new 7.1 soundtrack makes this viewing much more pleasurable. At well over 3 hours, I am only about half way thru this classic.

they will be releasing more titles as 4k begins to take hold, and the next group I will receive will be The Fifth Element and Leon...

• Like 2

Got the 3d version...... Visual experience just as bad as sound

Am I the only one that liked the Age of Ultron.  I liked the comic books as a kid when the Vision became part of the Avengers.  I watched at reference which might be louder than a lot of people watch most movies.  I don't watch everything at reference.

Am I the only one that liked the Age of Ultron.  I liked the comic books as a kid when the Vision became part of the Avengers.  I watched at reference which might be louder than a lot of people watch most movies.  I don't watch everything at reference.

Not just you, Derrick.  Ultron was a good movie...thoroughly enjoyed it.  Thought the integration of Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver was done pretty well.  With as much source material as they have in the comics...not the easiest thing to balance all the characters.  I thought they did a nice job overall.  Movie was entertaining, story was good.  I guess mine sounded good on the system, but I crank my movies a little more than most folks probably do the first time I run it through my setup. 

Edited by kapsnb01
  • Like 1

Spartacus...... Is one of my all time favorites. I can remember seeing it on Family Classics..... And then we all had to play gladiators after...... How did our parents ever make it through it????

I saw the sneak preview of Spartacus in a theater in 1960, with Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, (Curtis's wife) Janet Leigh, and studio people present.  (I hasten to say I was very, very young!).  The preview version was much more violent than either of the later release versions.  People I chatted with afterward called it a "bloodbath," but still liked it.  It was the most violent film I had seen until movies like Taxi Driver and Gangs of New York came out years later.  Still, I'll bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end.

• Like 1

Spartacus...... Is one of my all time favorites. I can remember seeing it on Family Classics..... And then we all had to play gladiators after...... How did our parents ever make it through it????

I saw the sneak preview of Spartacus in a theater in 1960, with Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, (Curtis's wife) Janet Leigh, and studio people present.  (I hasten to say I was very, very young!).  The preview version was much more violent than either of the later release versions.  People I chatted with afterward called it a "bloodbath," but still liked it.  It was the most violent film I had seen until movies like Taxi Driver and Gangs of New York came out years later.  Still, I'll bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end.

I saw the Director's Cut of Spartacus in the last ultra-wide screen here ~1990. An extremely well done film that still holds up today.

Anything directed by Sam Peckinpah (e.g. his film The Wild Bunch) was also pretty graphic back in the day.

Edited by Wolfbane
  • Like 1