The Multi-Channel Music Review Thread

Chris A

51KgPS6kPLL._SS400_.jpg

Title: Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 16-18, Mari Kodama (pianist) [Hybrid SACD, multichannel 5.0 format], 2006, Pentatone Classics, (a gift--thanks again, Mike!)

Review

Pros: This recording also has amazing ambiance, obviously derived from superior methods and equipment used in recording, mixing, and mastering. This isn't "the piano is in the room" experience, rather this one is a "you are on stage in the hall listening to the piano".

Pentatone is the former classical division of Philips (Netherlands) and now specializes in multi-channel surround sound classical records, including this one which is more recently recorded. The label also is reissuing its quad-channel recordings from the early-mid 1970s in SACD 4.0 format, which are also very good.

This ranks with the best SACD surround disks that I have heard for solo piano. The ambiance is almost magical in its realism which brings back a flood of memories of live concept piano performances (at music school) as a young adult.

Cons: None.

Equipment and room used for review: Jubilee/TAD TD-4002 fronts, Belle center (time-aligned), Cornwall surrounds, two SPUD tapped horn subs (front corners--forming false corners behind Jubilees), Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP in "DSD" mode (see profile).

Rating: Very Highly Recommended (*****)

Edited by Chris A

5192xMpZiBL._SS400_.jpg

Title: Chopin and Loewe Piano Concertos [Hybrid SACD, multichannel 5.0 format], 2003, Mari Kodama, Russian National Orchestra, Nagano (Dir), Pentatone Classics, $13.60 (Amazon).

Review

Pros: The two pieces are very good from the standpoint of quality of composition, and the quality of the musicianship of both the soloist and the orchestra. The Loewe concerto, in particular, was surprisingly good and very highly recommended if you prefer Beethoven concertos or Schubert sonatas.

Cons: This recording sounds very heavy in low frequency content, leading me to believe that some issues existed in the mixing or mastering monitors (apparently B&W Nautiluses, as described from liner notes) that might have pulled the overall balance off. This can be corrected in playback via a negative gain shelf EQ filter when playing back, but this is definitely a dissatisfier.

Equipment and room used for review: Jubilee/TAD TD-4002 fronts, Belle center (time-aligned), Cornwall surrounds, two SPUD tapped horn subs (front corners--forming false corners behind Jubilees), Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP in "DSD" mode (see profile).

Rating: Recommended with reservations (***)

Edited by Chris A

Thick As A Brick , original CD, DVD remixed to 5.1 surround in both DTS and Dolby Digital.,Special Collectors Edition . Chyrsalis Records/EMI

Pros ...Been looking for a copy of the cd for awhile,found this Xmas shopping,bought myself a gift! If you are a fan of the original you will find this outstanding.Steve Wilson did a very nice job remastering to 5.1. Nice separation of all channels , very clear detailed mix. Comes with the St. Cleve Chronical in booklet form ,along with lots of photo's,interviews , etc. sounds outstanding.

Cons... Sounds like a 1 note flaw about 1minute int the 5.1 remix.

Rating... 4 3/4 out of 5 ( the flawed note knocks of 1/4 point )...if you are a Tull fan you ...really will mind if you sit this one out

Title: Emerson Lake and Palmer 40th anniversary Reunion Concert

Review

Pros: The audio fidelity of this disk improves is very good. Used surrounds a good amount. Main music was centered and in fronts but provided great soundstage.

Cons: A song or two had weird mixing, like singing on all channels evenly. But most were more sensible

Equipment and room used for review: La Scala Fronts and Base Section, Heresy Center, Heresy Surrounds, Cornscala rears, and "Big Subwoofer" thru oppo 83 and integra 9.8 with all carver amps.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

514b2X3WJhL._SS400_.jpg

Title: Sergei Taneyev: At the Reading of a Psalm [Hybrid SACD, multichannel 5.0 format], 2004, St. Petersburg State Academic Capella Choir, Boys Choir of the Glinka Choral College, Russian National Orchestra, Mikhail Pletnev (Dir), Pentatone Classics, $13.98 (Amazon).

Review

Pros: This is one of the most impressive orchestral/choral recordings in my collection. Musicianship is very high as well as recording quality. This cantata for large chorus and occasional soloists is a magnificent example of late Russian romanticism and interestingly, counterpoint. This is the final composition of the composer, who is not as well known as his famous Russian contemporaries such as Tchaikovsky and "The Five", but whose quality of composition is without equal for this period of music, IMHO. It is very enjoyable played at both concert volume or at background listening levels.

Rating: Very highly recommended (*****)

Edited by Chris A

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

51R6igGakvL.jpg

Title: Beethoven - Piano Concertos 1-5, Daniel Barenboim (piano), Staatskapelle Berlin [blu-Ray video disc] (2009), $32.99 (Amazon, Dec. 2011)

Review

Pros: For anyone wishing to hear a front-row-center performance of a notable orchestra with a world class pianist playing all five Beethoven piano concertos, this disc will provide the best most realistic listening opportunity that I've heard, all 3 hours and 17 minutes worth. Getting your 5.1 array tuned up for DTS-HD (48 KHz) is important in the playback to achieve the sense of realism that is present in this recording. The 48 Khz PCM stereo audio track just cannot hold a candle to the full 5.1 DTS-HD MA version. The multi-camera Blu-Ray videos of the performances are also outstanding - better than actually being there in person.

As far as the musicianship goes, these Beethoven piano concerto interpretations follow a non-US interpretative cycle that I've come to appreciate from Daniel Barenboim and the Staatskapelle Berlin (where he is both director and soloist for these performances). There is nothing left wanting from these outstanding interpretations IMHO, and the musicianship is second to no other great orchestra. The orchestra itself is of original historic size for Beethoven, which is somewhat smaller than most other big-name orchestras. I find that the performances benefit greatly from this more intimate setting, and the precision and clarity of sound to be outstanding references to judge other like recordings by.

Equipment and room used for review: Jubilee/TAD TD-4002 fronts, Belle center (time-aligned), Cornwall surrounds, two SPUD tapped horn subs (front corners--forming false corners behind Jubilees), Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP in DTS-HD Master Audio mode (see profile).

Rating: Very highly recommended (*****)

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

51R0Fy2DwOL.jpg

Title: The Yellowjackets: New Morning: The Paris Concert [blu-Ray video disc] (2009), $13.30 (Amazon, 25 Aug. 2014)

Review

Pros: If I were to ask over some jazz aficionados for party, you can bet that this is the disc that I'd pull out--and would want to play all the way through.  This one just comes to life even at fairly low volumes. Whether you listen to this disc at the lower 80 dBA levels or closer to the concert level (low-mid 90 dBC), this disc will captivate you. 

I consider this time period (2009) to probably be the Yellowjackets' high period, and I believe that they will go down as one of the outstanding jazz combos of our time--and it's not difficult to understand why:  here you will find bop, new age, funk, Latin jazz, and all the classic fusion influences that later created smooth jazz, but without jettisoning the precepts of straight jazz improv, harmonies, real jazz rhythms, and invention/fusion.  This is the real thing, tight and inventive, smooth but packaged in a highly engaging vehicle that doesn't overtly assault the senses or one's ears.  Bob Mintzer (on tenor sax and EWI) leads this quartet that's been in existence since the late 1970s, one that's undergone a few of changes in the lineup but retaining Russ Ferrante (piano/keyboards) and Jimmy Haslip (bass) through the personnel changes. 

Outstanding stuff and defining of my idea of what a jazz quartet should be today.  Enjoy!

Equipment and room used for review: Jubilee/TAD TD-4002 fronts, Belle center w/Beyma CP-35 tweeter (time-aligned and EQed), Cornwall surrounds, two SPUD tapped horn subs (front corners--forming false corners behind Jubilees), Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP in DTS-HD Master Audio, or LPCM 5.1 mode (see profile).

Rating: Highest recommendation (*****)

Edited by Chris A

• 2 months later...

tumblr_lvy9e1iyqa1qjrbfio1_r1_500.jpg

Title/Artist/Disk ID: Talking Heads/ Remain in Light/ DualDisk/Warner Brothers-Rhino/ ASIN: B000C3H4MC

Review text

Pros:  Born Under Punches starts it off with an excellent Kick Drum undertone and the rest of the simple beat coming from the front soundstage. David Byrne's main vocals sound like it's coming from the front  but in fact with closer attention it is actually emanating from different directions along with the front. :huh: His backing vocals sound, and are coming from the rear and side surrounds and is a great song to start off this adventure. 

When Once in a Lifetime kicks in the lyrics are just as poignant today as when I heard them in 2 channel many years ago except WAY more energized with the backing vocals coming from the rear and the bass being really clean, coming from the front soundstage. This track ends with the it crescendoing into the familiar lyrics "Same as it ever was..."

Houses in Motion is my favorite multichannel track on the album.. As soon as it starts I raise the volume a good 3 to 5 dB to hear the extremely clean bass notes from the bass guitar and drums, and those blending with the vocals to make it a multichannel experience-- When the horns start it gives the song an uneasy atmosphere the song is trying to create. David Byrne's vocals and song writing skills are incredible in a psychedelic way and the whole album paints all sorts of pictures that must have been going through his head.

Seen and Not Seen continue the surreal atmosphere with once again an excellent bass track and accompanying vocals and lyrics--The way the instruments come in are definitely inspired creativity that only a multichannel mix can convey.

Listening Wind is the most profound song on the album given it subject matter and timeliness, yet it was written in 1980. Every time I listen to it I appreciate it from a different POV--The instruments coming and going from different perspectives makes it feel you are walking on an Arab street with surreal events about to happen and then becoming in the middle of it when they do--Wild!

Cons: The biggest con on this and other Talking Heads DualDisks is that they really seem to scratch easy on the surface but it hasn't effected the sound. Also, all of the tracks are immersive but my least favorite are the ones I didn't mention which sound a little too monotonous including Overload, which is an interesting multichannel track with the grind circling around the room including the back speakers in the 7.2 layout (with the 2 additional Height speakers making it '9.2).

Equipment/room used for review:  9.2 setup using Dolby PLIIz/Audyssey in my signature below.

Rating:  5 Stars

• Like 2

51fGP9B70kL.jpg

Title: Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall [blu-ray] (2007), $17.89 (Amazon, 10 Dec. 2011)

Review

Pros:  High resolution audio (24/96 Dolby TrueHD) and video with hard pan stereo/multichannel audio channels for increased surround sound effect.  Very long performance (2 hours, 49 minutes) and separate bonus disc documentary and still images.  Excellent concert hall acoustics of Radio City Music Hall and sweeping camera movements of the auditorium during music performance add a great deal to the music performance.

Outstanding all-acoustic musicianship by the two performers provide a very full and balanced but simultaneously very detailed audio presentation.  Classic folk-rock genre of acoustic guitars and sound pedal devices is found here throughout to include acoustic blues guitar riffs and alternative rock harmonies backing the single voice of Dave Matthews and the solo guitar work of Tim Reynolds.  Piano by Dave Matthews is very effective at breaking up the monotony of performance.  Enthusiastic audience reception is also evident throughout in multi-camera audience and closeup shots that are used to punctuate the visual performance, and provides welcome relief from stage-only shots. 

This disc can be used as an audio quality reference disc due to its unsurpassed technical and performance quality.

Cons: The writer finds this very long performance difficult to digest in one sitting.  Some pedal echoplex effects can become a little repetitive for those not accustomed to the genre/style.  Almost three hours of similar guitar/voice timbre can also become repetitive for the uninitiated.  Overall, though, the performance was outstanding.

Equipment and room used for review: Jubilee/TAD TD-4002 fronts, Belle center w/Beyma CP-35 tweeter (time-aligned and EQed), Cornwall surrounds, two SPUD tapped horn subs (front corners--forming false corners behind Jubilees), Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP in Dolby TrueHD mode (see profile).

Rating: Highest recommendation (5 star)

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

51E9Y4kRuQL._SY300_.jpg

Title/Artist/Disk ID: THE FIXX/ 1011 Woodland /Silverline/DVD-Audio/ ASIN: B000075A2Y

Review text

Pros:  This disk is a compilation of simple drumbeats, guitar, bass and vocals which use the surrounds and back channels to give ambiance and natural acoustic characteristics of a live venue, without the crowd noise. Anyone who liked the Fixx in 2 channel should be impressed with these songs in Multichannel.

The familiar bass-line of Stand or Fall opens the song emanating all around, but in a precise, un-reverberating way and then the lead guitar chimes in from the left and right in the front soundstage and  is extremely clear. When Cy Curnin's vocals starts everything draws you to the front as if they were on stage with the chorus rising nicely with the intensity of the lead vocal.

Secret Separation is my favorite song on the album which paints an excellent picture of unrequited love that is lost. It is well written with lyrics that are filled with emotion that exhibit a love lost and IS what Cy Curnin's voice was made for. A masterpiece of emotion and when the instruments surrounding you as he is singing makes this song addictive to listen to--When the final backing vocals kick in you are hooked.

Saved by Zero was another hit single that sounds a lot better in Multichannel than it ever did in "stereo," with tight bass and again showcasing the painful quality of the vocals. It is followed by Lost Planes which I'd never heard before and is one of my favorite songs on the album because the lyrics are analogous to so may situations in life. It is also a loud song that focuses one to the front soundstage as do the other ones on the album.

Precious Stone has interesting lyrics that I can only assume relates to drug use and is a pleasant song to try and understand and is also one of the quieter ones on the album. Insofar as songwriting and painting pictures-- "Driven Out, Woman on a Train, and Cameras in Paris are all good songs for the FIXX aficionado, but may not be for everyone.

{Side Note: Silverline has a reputation of poor sound quality and I have experienced it on other disks--This one is excellent.}

Cons: As mentioned above, this group may not be for everyone and some of the songs not reviewed would get folks changing the disk for something else.

Equipment/room used for review:  9.2 Home Theater listed in signature using PLIIz and Audyssey (all speakers set to small with most crossed over to the sub at 60 Hz)

Rating:  3 Stars, but a must for Fixx Fans.

r_e_m_-around-the-sun-cover.jpg

Title/Artist/Disk ID: R.E.M. Around the sun/ Warner Brothers/ DVD-A (CD & DVD set)/ ASIN: B0007D09JC

Review text

Pros:  This album has 2 iconic songs which are Electron Blue and The Ascent of Man, both which use multichannel effects in a different way. The former starts out with the Synthesizer emanating from the rear and then blends with the vocals and guitar when they start up from the front soundstage for an interesting effect. The song also has a statiicy vibe to it throughout the song along with intended echoes of the vocals from the side and rear channels as one is still focused to the front soundstage. It ends with an ominous drum beat which blends excellently into the next song The Outsiders, and is a slower ballad with more natural instruments rendition--That said, on our setup there are actually guitars coming from the rear but it broadens the soundfield and gives the illusion that they are coming from the front--Having rear speakers and matrixing this material really has been a plus on most Multichannel music mixes.

My favorite song on the album is The Ascent of Man because not only is Michael Stipes vocals superb, the song's lyrics are as creative as any I've ever heard. The vocals, bass notes and drum are very clean and distinct but have an unsettling organ track accompanying them that really adds to the complexity/beauty of the song--Very well done! 

Leaving New York, I Wanted to be Wrong, and The Final Straw are also good songs that use multichannel effectively and are considerably better than they are on 2 channel which is also included in this 2 disk set, but no reason to play the CD.

Cons: There are 4 or 5 songs that really don't stand up to the others on the album and either are too monotonous or drag on a little too long. 

Equipment/room used for review: (9.2 Home Theater listed below and can't stress enough how awesome matrixing this material into having a rear channel is almost like it being a discrete one back there! PLIIz enhanced with Audyssey calibration.

Rating:  3 1/2 Stars (But a must for R.E.M. fans, and IMO think this is their best multichannel album outside of the Greatest Hits.

Edited by tkdamerica

• 1 month later...

514C6GEH9SL.jpg

Title: Diana Krall - Live in Paris (DVD) (2002), $12.28 (Amazon, 20 Sept 2004)

Review

Pros:  I've owned this DVD for over 10 years now, and it has been an integral part of my impetus to upgrade my system, as I use this disc as a test disc for surround sound quality. 

Yesterday, I listened to this now-house-standard disc once again after upgrading my center Belle to a K-510/K-69-A JuBelle configuration.  The results were stunning/engaging: I had to listen to the entire disc and my background audience was dancing/moving to the music while preparing our evening dinner. This is notable in that I'd just pulled out the disc only to briefly evaluate the changes to the center JuBelle.

Diana Krall has been a fixture in jazz now for over 20 years after graduating Berklee (jazz) and taking lessons from two of her band mates John Clayton, double bass and Jeff Hamilton, drums, until they three decided to tour--using her name as the headliner.  The reason why they did this will be clear once you see her piano playing and jazz vocals.  "Sultry" is the word that comes to mind--that and "engaging". 

These are simply jazz standards, but they illuminate your listening room with live-quality music that causes you to stop and watch.  Here the standout musicians are guitarist Anthony Wilson and the backup orchestra conducted by Alan Broadbent and Claus Ogerman.  But the standout numbers are the straight quartet jazz standards--"Deed I Do", "East of the Sun", and "I Don't Know Enough About You", with an outstanding encore solo of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" to close this notable concert--one that catapulted her career to new highs and preceded her subsequent marriage to Elvis Costello.

This disc can be used as an audio-quality reference disc due to its technical and performance quality.

Cons: My particular disc is a DVD - not the Blu-Ray version.  This results in lower quality video resolution and "shimmering" backgrounds of curtains and stage props with splashy colors and textures.  The Blu-Ray version is therefore recommended if available--but be careful of the region and there is a Region "B" Blu-Ray disc available that requires European or all-region capabilities to play.

Equipment and room used for review: Jubilee/TAD TD-4002 fronts, JuBelle center K-510 horn/K-69-A driver (both time-aligned and EQed using active digital crossovers), Cornwall surrounds w/Crites tweeters, two SPUD tapped horn subs (front corners--forming false corners behind Jubilees), Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP in Dolby Digital mode (see profile).  Each channel is carefully EQed manually to match frequency response of the front Jubilees at the listening position.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

51yNa3bVBsL.jpg

Title: Richter/ Stamitz: Early String Symphonies, Vol. 2 [Hybrid SACD], $11.96 (Amazon, 6 Dec. 2014)

Review

Pros:  If you like classic symphonies of Mozart or Haydn, and have a reasonably well functioning surround sound system, this disc will grab your attention.  This recording is closer to "you are there" than any other recording that I have in terms of capturing the rich venue acoustics and sense of envelopment of the original space.  In that sense, this is the most engaging recording that I own.  The performance quality is superb.  Pentatone was formerly called Philips Classical - Netherlands, and was bought out by its own leadership in 2002.  This recording is one of the first recorded by the label using multichannel DSD format and is not a "reissued" quadrophonic recording, many of which are also in the Pentatone catalog.  While all recordings from this label are first rate, the more recent DSD recordings are a cut above the older reissued recordings.

Equipment and room used for review: Jubilee/TAD TD-4002 fronts, JuBelle center K-510 horn/K-69-A driver (both time-aligned and EQed using active digital crossovers), Cornwall surrounds w/Crites tweeters, two SPUD tapped horn subs (front corners--forming false corners behind Jubilees), Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP in DSD mode (see profile).  Each channel is carefully EQed manually to match frequency response of the front Jubilees at the listening position.

Edited by Chris A

Absolutely the best piece of recorded music I have on physical media... it's stunningly good.

Koyannisqatsi dvd-A

Thanks Schu, I didn't know the recording existed in this format. Always been a big fan of Philip Glass and this movie, Santa is bringing me the Blu-ray version of the film for Christmas. Think I might add this as well. :)

I was lucky enough to see Philip Glass and his "ensemble" live in the mid 1980s. Great concert and some really talented musicians in his group.