Harmon Kardon HK 730

wdrazek

Hi all,

Have a chance to pick up a 730 at a good price this wknd. It has a walnut cabinet with some marks, the lights all seem to work and it is supposed to be in very good shape. While the price is right, I figure something this old probably needs rework. I am good with contact cleaners, but cap/ transistor/ etc. measurement and replacement are beyond my technical range. Are there things I should be aware of when I look at it? Also, is there anyone you all know who will be able to gently restore it to its original state without performing unneeded surgery? Thanks to all.

I sent my 930 to Terry DeWick... can't go wrong with him! I sent some Yamaha equipment to Many Moons Audio in Tulsa. He did great work !

There are different levels of restoration you can do. I have gone the route of getting the "usual suspects" and I have gone the route of full-bore-rebuild-it-better-than-it-ever-was. I think I feel better when I do the latter if the cosmetics are really good. Of course, I'll probably never see some of that money again as it can quickly surpass the resale value except to the rare few who might understand its value after such a rebuild.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I will check into Terry. It's a name I've seen before, I'm sure. Don't know the cosmetics exactly yet, but I am not sure I'm comfortable making it "better than new" if that means new circuits, cap values and the like. Once a long time ago, I rebuilt a Dynaco PAS preamplifier and it was way better but I am worried that what everyone loves about the vintage HK could be lost.

I got my 930 for full price from Ebay. It looked OK but lights were out and it sounded BAD. When DeWick sent it back to me I finally got to hear what folks were talking about. Unfortunately, I have well over $400 invested in it now. I don't have a lot of experience but I never had anything from the 70's (in the last few years) that didn't need new caps. Some had obviously leaky caps and all of them sounded much better when I got them back.

Yeah, I figured that caps would be necessary. There is one authorized HK shop nearby but when I spoke to them they didn't sound dialed into the world of vintage. It takes a special passion, I think. My 35 year old Marantz 2226B still sounds pretty good but I know more is lurking under the surface.

There are some cap replacements that will fix certain issues on these. I have the list around somewhere, when DJK had posted it. I have two 430s, and one has a problem that changing the volume when first powered up causes a LOT of noise. I just haven't gotten around to replacing the caps that would fix this problem. After it's been on a few minutes, you can adjust the gain with no noise issues.

It kinda goes like that...

Bruce

I would hook it up and listen for a good amount of time before deciding on rebuilding, upgrading, etc. I have a 730 that has been unrestored and it sounds just fine! I too suspect that it might benefit from some new caps, etc. but since the light work, the pots dont sound scratchy and the sound coming out of it sounds great I have not gotten around to sending it out yet. the same may happen to you. at least give it a listen before deciding. the 730 is a really nice piece, many think it is the best of the X30´s. warm regards, Tony