Stereophile Magazine Says:

russ69

The article is "Accuracy Is Not the Answer"

I would ask the author or anyone using the word "Accuracy" or claiming "Accuracy" to give us their description of it before we can even know if we are talking about the same thing. In the real world where nothing is perfect "Accuracy" only has meaning when we understand the parameters it is being applied to as well as were it's not applicable.

This recording industry has no basic standards so the Analog and Digital recording results fall all over the map and the rooms we all listen in have nothing standard about them and so again the results of reproducing recordings in them falls all over the map.

I do agree with his comment "We need to learn more about capturing and reproducing the gestalt of music".

Measurements and test as tools for design and standards need to show correlation with how humans perceive sound for pratical use in real world trade-offs that are often necessary.

miketn

That is a great quote from AE.

As for the magazine and its writings, I grew beyond it around 15 years ago and never looked back. Everything they review is great, the more expensive the better, and the newer and more expensive the better yet.

Got off their bus a while ago.

For audio accuracy is a terrible word since none of us can duplicate what was heard in the studio. And even the studio engineers have to tailor the final version so, even they thought what was heard in the studio needed some adjustments. Maybe we don't want to duplicate what was heard in the sudio, lol. I don't strive for accuracy, I go for personal enjoyment.

The article is "Accuracy Is Not the Answer"

I would ask the author or anyone using the word "Accuracy" or claiming "Accuracy" to give us their description of it before we can even know if we are talking about the same thing. In the real world where nothing is perfect "Accuracy" only has meaning when we understand the parameters it is being applied to as well as were it's not applicable.

This recording industry has no basic standards so the Analog and Digital recording results fall all over the map and the rooms we all listen in have nothing standard about them and so again the results of reproducing recordings in them falls all over the map.

I do agree with his comment "We need to learn more about capturing and reproducing the gestalt of music".

Like looping songs, while capturing, that is, my understanding of the word "gestalt. Playing the same song at different times, while listening for any subtle nuance, until you discover one. A style of teaching from the old world, gestalt...learning from sheer dent of repetition.

Not the standard definition.

Measurements and test as tools for design and standards need to show correlation with how humans perceive sound for pratical use in real world trade-offs that are often necessary.

miketn

For audio accuracy is a terrible word since none of us can duplicate what was heard in the studio. And even the studio engineers have to tailor the final version so, even they thought what was heard in the studio needed some adjustments. Maybe we don't want to duplicate what was heard in the sudio, lol. I don't strive for accuracy, I go for personal enjoyment.

Yeah, but you've always been crazy like that!!!! eek.gif

...... rolling.gif

Dennie drinkingcheers.gif

I don't strive for accuracy, I go for personal enjoyment.

Well said. I think the same can also apply to music performance as well. There are a lot of amazingly accurate performers out there in the classical music scene that are as interesting to listen to as paint drying.