HDMI multi out

JasonJCarney

I have a basement bar with 2 TV's. Im looking to get an AVR with 2 hdmi out ports that will display at the same time. i bought an hdmi splitter from monoprice but its not working. im getting no picture on 1 tv and the other tv is going in and out every 2 seconds (literally 2 second increments). So rather than keep trying different hdmi splitters I thought I would cut out a piece of equipment and just get an avr with dual outs. The key is they need to be able to diplay simutaneously. Anyone have any experience doing something similar? what avr are u using? thx

The Onkyo and Integra AVR's that have HDMI OUT and HDMI SUB, can be used in a BOTH configuration. I believe the resolution will be the same so you will be displaying the lowest common denominator resolution. eg 720p if you have a 1080p and 720p connected. There are also some shortcomings to the SUB channel. I don't think it supports return sound, and there may be a couple f other things.

If you are using 2 TV's that are identical, then the late model ONKYO/INTEGRA AVR's should do fine.

The key is they need to be able to diplay simutaneously. Anyone have any experience doing something similar? what avr are u using? thx

I'm running dual HDMI outs. The extra "hdmi sub" out is connected to a tv in the kitchen which is about 40 ft. away from the processor. I've only had it just shy of a month now but so far no problems at all with interruptions, signal problems, etc.......

The new Onkyo's beginning with the 515 support dual outputs. If you require pre outs however, that starts with the 616 model.

Note: The kitchen tv does not support ARC so I can't comment on that aspect.

well I have a splitter from monoprice product #6192 if you care to check it out. It plugs in for some reason but its not "amplifying" the signal. Unfortunately the hdmi cables going to the tvs are in the drywall and I can't change them. I swapped out the hdmi cables that go from the cable box to the avr and it didn't change things. Im going to try it with a different avr next......if that doesnt help I think Ill try a different splitter that claims to amplify the signal. If that doesnt work I think it will be time to try an avr with multiple outs.

I think your issue is the 1 output. I have a Monoprice 4x2 matrix switch (link below) running to both projector and TV. All sources (WDTV Hub, BD player, Sat Box and PS3 ) into UMC-1 > UMC-1 Hdmi out to 4x2 switch HDMI 1 input > HDMI 4x2 switch Output A to TV and Output B to Projector. Been running well for a couple years now. Leaves me with 3 HDMI ports on switch for dropping in sources without UMC. Worked well with my old Pioneer Vs9130.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2

Just as a side note (I don't want to stop you from shopping for a new AVR!) but I have used a splitter before and it need to see the primary screen FIRST and once it did a hand shake with that screen (ONLY SECONDS on startup) it was OK to start the second screen. All was well and the same image was on both displays. If I failed to follow this procedure though, it would do as you described and the MCP caused the flashing and failure to connect that you speak of.

I'm just trying to help, if your AVR really needs upgrading (or you are bitten to do so) nevermind.[:$]

Just as a side note (I don't want to stop you from shopping for a new AVR!) but I have used a splitter before and it need to see the primary screen FIRST and once it did a hand shake with that screen (ONLY SECONDS on startup) it was OK to start the second screen. All was well and the same image was on both displays. If I failed to follow this procedure though, it would do as you described and the MCP caused the flashing and failure to connect that you speak of.

I'm just trying to help, if your AVR really needs upgrading (or you are bitten to do so) nevermind.Embarrassed

Thanks Cal I will give that a try. Question though.... how do you determine which tv is the "primary" screen? my splitter has 1-4 out puts but no other marking or direction I can find for which to use as a primary. I mean I can assume it could be output #1 but if that didnt work I would be lost.

I think your issue is the 1 output. I have a Monoprice 4x2 matrix switch (link below) running to both projector and TV. All sources (WDTV Hub, BD player, Sat Box and PS3 ) into UMC-1 > UMC-1 Hdmi out to 4x2 switch HDMI 1 input > HDMI 4x2 switch Output A to TV and Output B to Projector. Been running well for a couple years now. Leaves me with 3 HDMI ports on switch for dropping in sources without UMC. Worked well with my old Pioneer Vs9130.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2

are you using this as a "switch" or as a simultaneous output splitter? Basically what Im trying to ask is do you use your tv and projector at the same time? Because my goal is to run 2 tv's at the same time.

cable box > avr input > avr out > hdmi splitter > 2 tv's

are you using this as a "switch" or as a simultaneous output splitter? do you use your tv and projector at the same time? Because my goal is to run 2 tv's at the same time.

cable box > avr input > avr out > hdmi splitter > 2 tv's

cable box > avr input > avr out > Hdmi in on switch > A and B out > 2 tv's

I've used it both as switch and splitter. Yes my Tv and projector play at same time if needed A and B 1 (splitter). I also switch out projector for tv in bedroom running 25ft through wall. I can run cable TV in living room and another source (wd hub or Blu ray and PS3) into bedroom so girlfriend can watch what she wants if necessary A1 and B2 (switch). She'll use a remote App off ipad networked into hub and blu ray.

so did some quick trouble shooting today. The hand shake idea didn't work. I was able to get the splitter to display on both tv's but only if I went straight from my cable box to the splitter and skipped the avr. Tried this on 2 different avr's so it seems unlikely it is an issue with the avr. My options seem to be few. I can buy a new avr with dual out's..... or spend $60 on another splitter and hope that works? kinda lame. Im surprised more people don't have the want or need for dual out puts. Only a couple comments on this thread. Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Here is the splitter I use http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

I use it to split the signal to my tv and to my projector. I have used it with my Onkyo receiver and now with my UMC-1 and it has always sent the signal to both at the same time with no issues, plus it is only $23 plus shipping.

I have been away for a few days.

I forget where I bought my splitter but it was a bit of a PITA to get it working, it is a 2 way split and the outputs were not labled so I had to play with things to gt it working to find out which display it wanted to see first. After the hookup, the other display could be turned on and it worked.

It sounds like your issues are different though and sorry that I could not offer any more help. Digital video is a pain as the equipment needs to handshake so that it "knows" you are not trying to record HD when you are not supposed to.

I just went through this again as I had to tear my HT to pieces for work done in the room. On reassembly, I broke the HDMI output from the AVR while hooking back up the firehose of a cable that runs to the projector, a long run. $100 later after the AVR was repaired (used this one still sells for about $350 give or take a bit so it was worth repairing) I still had issues with things. After hooking up several displays and several sources and troubleshooting from the source out, I found my last HDMI calbe link to the AVR was bad, I had audio but no video, swapped in different cables (I have a lot of cheep HDMI cables like the ones you get when you buy a device) I found one that worked and I tossed the bad ones so they would not be used again.

While this was all going on, all I could get from the system was "standard" def, on a 120" screen, it looks really bad, REALLY BAD!

Again, digital video can be a real PITA!