DIY RW-12 high pitched squeal, what is the cause?

D-Rex

I recently pulled my old RW-12 out of storage to repair/replace the front that was destroyed by UPS about 7 years ago. I used 1/2" plyboard and cherry wood flooring as a veneer and I think it looks great. However, when it reaches higher levels it begins to squeak and then puts off a high-pitched squeal. Now, I did notice that the driver was bent so I am wondering if, when it really starts to put out the bass if it is losing it's seal and letting air in and out, creating the noise. Otherwise, I need some other options but it does sound like it is coming from the driver area.

Thanks!

How is the driver "bent"?

Have you tried a different wall outlet?

Have you tried a different cable?

Instead of the driver having a perfectly flush rim to attach to the front of the cabinet, the driver was warped about half an inch. That went away as I expected when I screwed the driver to the cabinet but I once I heard the sound and where it seemed to be originating it made me think that maybe the driver wasn't getting a good seal.

It's using the same outlet and cable that I was using on the RSW 12 and RSW 15. Since there were no problems with them then I didn't think that it would be the outlet or the cable.

I am not sure it isn't the driver, I just haven't experienced anything like this and was reaching for a possibility concerning the driver being bent.

If it was the amp, do you know what would be happening to cause it within the amp? It seems to work just fine until you drive it hard and then it squeals.

I am not sure it isn't the driver, I just haven't experienced anything like this and was reaching for a possibility concerning the driver being bent.

The only thing I can think of that would make a noise on the driver would be the voice coil rubbing or an air leak at the mounting gasket. I believe you've checked both of those items. If you haven't checked for a leak at the driver, get a short section of hose, put one end to your ear and run the other end around the outside circumference of the driver while it's making the noise. That should pin point the area in question.

If it was the amp, do you know what would be happening to cause it within the amp? It seems to work just fine until you drive it hard and then it squeals.

I know that amps can make some funky noises when going out. I can't tell you if it's the caps, the board or what circuit it would be in. A good way to tell if it's the amp is to look on the outside of the sub and see if you see the word "Klipsch" written any where. If so, the amp could be suspect.

The only thing I can think of that would make a noise on the driver would be the voice coil rubbing or an air leak at the mounting gasket. I believe you've checked both of those items. If you haven't checked for a leak at the driver, get a short section of hose, put one end to your ear and run the other end around the outside circumference of the driver while it's making the noise. That should pin point the area in question.

A good way to tell if it's the amp is to look on the outside of the sub and see if you see the word "Klipsch" written any where. If so, the amp could be suspect.

I guess this Klipsch amp thing was the first thing I should have checked... :)

I will trouble shoot the driver some more see if I can isolate the exact location of the issue...

Well CECAA850, it only took another 10 minutes of investigating to figure out the hole for the driver was a little too big in places, causing the screws to not properly hold the driver in place. I took it off and rotated it about 3-5" to where all of my screws would make good contact and now it works like a charm! I appreciate your advice... Thanks!