Beatles LP Box Set - *Available Soon*

Rick

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, being a Beatles fan from the get go, and after reading all the comments I'm not sure what to purchase. I have a pretty decent system and want to listen to them the way I remember way back when. Are there any good suggestions for purchase without having to sell the house, just saying, good value and reasonable cost.

Cigarbum

• 4 weeks later...

Well, being a Beatles fan from the get go, and after reading all the comments I'm not sure what to purchase. I have a pretty decent system and want to listen to them the way I remember way back when. Are there any good suggestions for purchase without having to sell the house, just saying, good value and reasonable cost.

Cigarbum

If you don't want to sell the house then you for sure want the Blue Box BC 13, best bang for the buck and sound like they should.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine last week and wouldn't you know it, 1st album, 3rd song, big skip right in the middle of it. I was able to get thru the next 8 without a hitch however, and have 5 to go. The nice thing about Amazon is they will let you send individual LP's back and they will send another in it's place. When I've gone thru them all I will send the bad one(s) back.

As for the sound, I think they sound really good! Not as detailed as some of my other audiophile pressings, but I wasn't expecting that in the first place. What you get are dead quiet lp's, with real good clarity and detail. For me, I never owned their complete set before so it's nice to have their entire catalog. Now if anyone asks if I have any Beatles, I can say "which one do you want to hear?" :-)

Mike

I've got the remastered CD collection (stereo). I think the remastered CDs are fantastic, but I can't wait to get the vinyl version. I had all of the Beatles albums years ago, but stupidly, when I thought CD was the future of audio, I sold them with a bunch of other irreplaceable albums.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still a little confused. I have tried to find the boxed set people have referenced, but not sure which one it is.

What I intend to do is buy a boxed set of vinyle and record them on my R2R - Otari MX 5050 Bll at 15IPS, the TTis a Yamaha PF-800 with a Shure M97XE.

Is the boxed set the $319 on on Amazon? If someone could lead me to the proper set, it seems the same set has two different covers.

Am I on the correct track?

Thanks.

Cigarbum

Well, I have done about a complete turn-around. I almost think I will buy the MFSL set of 14 records. I have looked and can not find if there is any difference between the pressings. Some were done in Japan, UK, Germany, is there any difference? Some are red and some are black vinyl, is there any difference. These sets range anywhere from $500 to $2000 on EBay or Amazon.

I know some of you guys have this set and may know a lot more than me, the other question is; is the value really there?

if you look at the last post I made you can see my intended purpose.

Thank you for you time.

Cigarbum

I'll throw my 2 cents in... I bought the recent box set from of all places, Walmart who offered it at $280. It arrived soon after and has sat unopened since. My hesitation can be attributed to the torrent of complaints that have been expressed regarding the production quality of the records. EMI contracted with a company called Rainbo to press the records and many folks have received records with obvious and unacceptable flaws - fill-ins, off-center, warped and just plain noisy records and not just one or 2 in the set. Its been a real pain having to ship the flawed records back and many people report that the copies they received in exchange were just as flawed. So there's that...

Another thing that bothers me is that the set was digitally mastered and that wouldn't be such a bad thing except the powers that be decided to use a lower resolution (16 bit/44.1k) mastering and really missed an opportunity to offer a State-of-the-Art digital remaster. Of course, I would have much preferred an all-analog remaster but for a variety of reasons, I understand EMI's decision, I just don't appreciate their execution. While the remix is very good in some respects (better detail and bottom end resolution), the overall box is a big disappointment sound-wise and a disaster production-wise. I have read that the box set sold in Europe was printed at Optima in Germany and doesn't have near as many quality control issues as the US set...its also more expensive.

I have boxes of the Beatles LP's - originals, reissues...you name it and several box sets that have been offered over the years, including the MFSL and BC-13' sets. I would suggest that you avoid the new set (especially the US box) and instead, look for either the original UK LP's or one of the BC-13 boxes that came out in the '80's. Of course, finding good copies of the originals can be a long and expensive process so finding the box set is a fairly easy task in comparison. Don't bother hunting down the original records on Capitol - even though they have their charm, they are not nearly as good sounding as the UK's.

The BC-13 sets were produced in several countries and though I don't have one, the UK version is often given the best marks for sound quality. Of the ones I have, I prefer the boxes from Holland, Australia and Japan - in that order. The Japanese box is very well pressed and the vinyl is absolutely quiet but the sound is a bit recessed and it doesn't have the bass of the other 2 (which may be a good thing for some listeners - just not me). I also have the MFSL box and the vinyl is flat and very quiet. Its quite similar to the Japan box (as it should be) except the top and bottom end were boosted a bit when it was remastered. Again, not necessarily a bad thing depending on your system but most agree that it sounds a little 'off' compared to the original UK pressings (as God and George Martin intended). The BC-13 sets start @$300 for copies in VG condition but a mint set will set you back $500 or so. Still, I would consider these before I'd pop for the new set - they are excellent quality pressings and sound better though I don't think they used the 'tube-cut' mixes as the originals, both UK (Parlophone) and US (Capitol).

BTW, the only Beatles records I recall being printed on red vinyl were offered on the 'Beatles 1962-1966' compilation album (the '1967-1970' was pressed on blue vinyl) or you may be referring to the 'Red box' which was printed in Japan and as of now, is the only Beatles collection offered in mono, which is why its so d@#n expensive. From what I've heard, a mono box is in the works for release next year but I certainly hope the fellas at EMI have the foresight to find a better pressing plant this time around...and one can only hope against hope that they remaster it in the analog domain.

Finally, I've held on to the new box set for a few weeks now and have yet to open it. Matter of fact, I have every intention of returning it to Walmart without cracking the seal, based simply on the reviews, not to mention that I have more Beatles records than I'll ever listen to so this was just another bad impulse buy and I'll feel better once its out of the house.

My very first LP, when I was 10 years old was called "Something New" which doesn't show up here. It had a picture of the boys on a TV stage somewhere. It featured a German version of "I wanna Hold you Hand."

My favorite tune from that LP was "Slow Down." Which, thankfully shows up in the "past Masters" section, and nowhere else, since "Something New" is not part of the box set, but all of the other tunes from that LP are, except the German version, which I'm not a fan of anyhow.