Beatles LP Box Set - *Available Soon*

Rick

Another thing that bothers me is that the set was digitally mastered and that wouldn't be such a bad thing except the powers that be decided to use a lower resolution (16 bit/44.1k) mastering and really missed an opportunity to offer a State-of-the-Art digital remaster.

Not according to Abbey Road Studios. I posted this earlier in this thread...

I saw a post on the SH Forums where a guy had emailed Abbey Road Studios asking them if these were mastered using the 24/192 digital masters or 24/44.1, and got the following reply from them:

Thank you for your email.

For the recent Beatles remasters, The original tapes were copied to
digital at 24/192k. The tracks were then remastered at 24/96 and the
vinyl was cut from these 24/96K masters.

I hope this answers your question

Regards

Abbey Road Studios

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anybody want mono?

I think the remastered mono cd set is specatular. I dont know enough about it to know why it might be but particularly the early stuff sounds best in mono - at least to me.

Josh

I agree... I own the mono CD box set, and it sounds excellent!!

Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger on the MFSL - Beatles Collection, should be here Tues. Will let you guys know.

Merry X-mas to me.

Cigarbum

Excellent!! I'm anxious to hear your impressions on how the set sounds... [8-|]

I purchased the box set when it was first released and I cannot recommend it. The pressings are terrible. Every issue that you can think of, voids, warps, noise (lots of noise), off center pressing, can be found on this set. I did file a return and got a second box before I was supposed to return the first box and I was unable to make one good set. The albums that seem to have the most trouble are SGT Pepper, The Beatles (White Album) and Abby Road. So the second set will also be returned. My set up is as follows: DP-47f with new DL-110 and DP-52f with Dynavector 10x4 MkII.

Since I was in HS during the 80s, I still have many 80s pressings that I purchased new. It was startling to hear how quiet my 30+ old records were compared to these disasters.

It's sad to see that quality is something we cannot get here in the states any more. I do hear the German pressings are perfectly fine and in fact they stopped shipping the US pressings to Japan and have switch to the German pressings for that market. Too bad that won't happen here.

Dont mean to hi jack. Got my mfsl BEATLES COLLECTION today, ripped it open, sure looks great. It was as advertized mint to near mint, everything looks wonderful. Only had time to play one side, DAMN, sounds really great. What i plan to is tape all on my otari 5050ll, then put then away for the future. I will let you know how it turns out. Anyone have any good pointers or suggestions?

Cigarbum

Dont mean to hi jack. Got my mfsl BEATLES COLLECTION today, ripped it open, sure looks great. It was as advertized mint to near mint, everything looks wonderful. Only had time to play one side, ***, sounds really great. What i plan to is tape all on my otari 5050ll, then put then away for the future. I will let you know how it turns out. Anyone have any good pointers or suggestions?
Cigarbum

Martha My Dear > I'm So Tired > Etc. - My favorite side of all my Beatles MFSLs. Gotta love the tuba.

...look on Ebay or Amazon for The Beatles "The Capitol Albums" volumes 1 and 2. Each volume contains four CDS. Each CD is an exact duplication of the corresponding Capitol album with both stereo and mono versions of each song, Plus a photo/text booklet covering the four albums in question. Sound quality is frist rate. No duophonic phony stereo. They are EMI releases and you will not be sorry.

Also, check out the EMI Japan release of Yesterday and Today, complete with butcher cover plus a booklet containing alternate butcher photos taken at the same session, plus copious liner notes and photos. There is a duplication of the 1966 record sleeve. Stereo and mono versions of all songs, plus bonus out-takes.Sound quality is first rate as well. Don't subject yourself to the frustration of questionable record pressings, when stuff like this is available for a reasonable price.

Posted Image