VRD Mono Blocks

muel

who is building these? Craig himself?

After a wonderful listening day with modified LaScalas at Mike Lindsays 2006 Florida get-together, I strongly recommend investing in NOSvalves KT88 VRD monoblocks very solid bass for a tube amplifier!

V-Caps? You lucky DOG[H] I have the Cardas Golden Ratio in my pair and they are very, very good, but I must say that the V-Caps are a wonderful way to make a great pair of amplifiers that much better.

I also like loading the front end with Amperex Bugle Boys. As Rerun used to say on "What's Happening"......

"OOOOOOOOO, STELLA, STELLA....." [8-|]

I got his forum name wrong in my earlier post but Tom (tk49 on the forum) built the wood cabinets and shipped them to NOSValves where Craig built the amps. I have to say I am pretty excited! I'm very happy about the way the cabinets came out and these amps in their basic configuration are great... with upgrades in tubes and components it is all an extra bonus!

Those look awesome!

I love my VRD's! I too have the Cardas caps and the larger power supply, but now kind of wish I sprung for the V-Caps. Let us know how you like them.

Mike

I don't worry TOO much about the Cardas being good enough. They are very clear sounding with just a hint of wetness.....I wonder if the VCaps might be so revealing as to make the system require only the best of the best in recordings. Since I am very happy with the Cardas as is, I figure it best to leave them as is - especially for the difference in price. The Cardas are an OUTSTANDING value in a high end cap.

Those look awesome!

I love my VRD's! I too have the Cardas caps and the larger power supply, but now kind of wish I sprung for the V-Caps. Let us know how you like them.

Mike

I don't worry TOO much about the Cardas being good enough. They are very clear sounding with just a hint of wetness.....I wonder if the VCaps might be so revealing as to make the system require only the best of the best in recordings. Since I am very happy with the Cardas as is, I figure it best to leave them as is - especially for the difference in price. The Cardas are an OUTSTANDING value in a high end cap.

+1 on Cardas caps! They are great caps! as far as revealing... I want it all... good or bad.

I don't even have 10 hours on the V-Caps yet so it will be some time before I hope for them to settle in and begin to shine. I can hear a bit of that familiar sibilance that I have heard before while waiting for film caps to break in. I don't remember what they were but it took almost 500 hours before that sibilance was gone. It just disappeared. It didn't seem gradual at all as one day I just didn't hear it anymore. In the mean time, I have no complaints and I am quite happy!

The "sound" of the VRD mono blocks are really identical to the VRD stereo. What difference I can hear is an increased tightness and feel of realism. That is about the best way I can describe it at this point.

Hopefully, the V-Caps aren't an exercise in conspicuous consumption and will be worth it to me in the end. I'm 99% of the way there now!

Teflon caps are a whole new world from film and foils. If you want the absolute best and most revealing, they are the ticket. I have a pair of McIntosh MC30s that I stuffed with the Sonicap Platinums, and they act like V-Caps do, which is to say that once broken in they are as close to "nothing in the way" as you can imagine.

That said, it can be a full YEAR of use before they totally liquefy. They will sound "etched" during the early stages, then begin to "open up", then a process of "liquification" where the "etching" is merely restricted to the upstream gear ahead of your amps. You will THINK that you have all they are going to deliver in a few months (say 300-500 hours) but they smooth out even more through the 1000 hour mark. You will get most of the changes down in the first 500 - but it's the second 500 that the "Ten Times The Price" paid really pays off fully.

So I always tell teflon cap owners to not get too "tube rolly" until that full maturation occurs, because then and only then will the benefits of those rolls be fully realized.

I think teflon caps are a stroke of genius, but only recommend them for people who KNOW they love a piece of gear, want to own it long term, and want the absolute best from it.

If one is reading and has sticker shock from V-Cap prices, the Cardas Gold Ratios are a superb value alternative. One doesn't have to feel bad because of V-Cap prices as the Cardas are better than any film and foil I've listened to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow thanks for bumping this, I must have been real busy during this build/thread because I don't recall reading it.

Thanks for all the great comments folks. This pair of amplifiers really looked nice Tom's custom touch. He does wonderful work and saves me from dusting my shop! He's also a great guy!