VRD Mono Blocks

muel

I've had mine for over 2 years now. Maybe even 3 years... The only amps I have ever heard that do all things right.

Love the corner in-lays on your amps Cameron. Nice touch. Do I spy some 7318's and perhaps some Brimar's in the front end? :D

Edited by paul79

"Do I spy some 7318's and perhaps some Brimar's in the front end?"

Why yes, yes you do! Those 7318's don't get moved out of their spot very often! The walnut wedges at the corners were Tom's (tk49) idea. He does beautiful wood work! The cherry has darkened slightly and really shows the grain nicely.

This thread and VRD's are a year old now but I'm still pretty excited about them as if I just got them. I don't think the upgrades are critical but I have no regrets and would not want to be without them now. The VCaps have broken in and sound like... well... they don't sound like anything! They just sound like music.

As you know Cameron, I installed the V-Cap CUTF's in my pCats and liked them very much. I ultimately decided to install Duelund Cast Copper in my VRD's and am EXTREMELY pleased as well.

So the 7318 in place of the 12AU7 is the way to go, eh? Should I give them a try?

post-7010-0-65720000-1383424077_thumb.jp

As you know Cameron, I installed the V-Cap CUTF's in my pCats and liked them very much. I ultimately decided to install Duelund Cast Copper in my VRD's and am EXTREMELY pleased as well.

So the 7318 in place of the 12AU7 is the way to go, eh? Should I give them a try?

If you can find 'em buy 'em (and let me know)!

The Duelund caps must really be nice! I decided to not spend to many $$ on equipment until I can fix my room acoustics. I should have concentrated more on the room sooner. It really is a lot of work and a process of trial and error.

That is bad news!

:(:emotion-50:

It's not like we will suffer too much though! The bugle boys sound pretty darn good and I got pretty comfortable with the Mullard CV4003's for that matter! Are you still partial to the RCA 12bh7? What was your 2nd choice for that slot?

Does the 7316 have anything positive to offer?

You're bringing up a sad subject as I passed on a nice pair due to funds. I'd buy them if given a chance again. When you start talking about some of these old tubes it is mostly good... just a matter of what flavor you like. The CBS 5814 is decent and I even liked some RCA cleartops... certainly great for the money. I haven't been rolling through too many tubes lately as I have been changing too many things in my system to keep track.

I like the 1950's RCA 12BH7A's. They are not as transparent as some, but I like them allot. The Tung Sol 12BH7A is darn good too. The 7316's are a little soft in the bass in the VRD's for my tastes, but are good in all other areas.

My favorite signal tube flavor in the VRD's are the CBS 7318 paired with the Mullard 10M 12AX7. This combo just sounds live to me. My default, if you will.

I also like the CV4003/4004's. Huge soundstage with these. Takes awhile before they come to full bloom though. They just get better and better as time goes on.

I also like 5751's from the 50's, any brand.

Edited by paul79

I bought some Mullard GZ33 tubes just because I thought they looked cool. They are supposed to be slow start and seem to work great. I only ran them for a day or two many months ago when I took this picture.

I've been testing out GZ-32, GZ-33 and GZ-37's lately. They work great. I have not wrote down all my results yet. So this is from memory. The GZ-37 drops the B+ about 40 volts and will result in a more relaxed presentation. The GZ-32 actually raises the B+ about 15 volts so the presentation is tighter and punchier... Next up will be the GZ-33........

Visually the GZ-32 is a better match to KT-88's. The GZ-37 and GZ-33 look great with the Tung-sol KT-120 or KT-150's !

Edited by NOSValves

Now that polystyrene is available again, some of you might consider trying some as coupling caps.

I always thought the input tube made a bigger difference than the output tubes -- and you guys sometimes spend crazy money on the output tubes.

Now that polystyrene is available again, some of you might consider trying some as coupling caps.

I always thought the input tube made a bigger difference than the output tubes -- and you guys sometimes spend crazy money on the output tubes.

Polystyrene is good for replacement for picofarad values.

When I had Craig build mine I sent him some AudioCap 600Vdc .47 (or was it .22) polystyrenes from Percy Audio. I believe these are back in stock now. I'm not an amp guy, but I read a lot and kept running into places where people were swearing by them as coupling caps. I just knew I didn't want a metalized type at that position and figured it wouldn't hurt to give them a try -- sounded nice.

I bought some Mullard GZ33 tubes just because I thought they looked cool. They are supposed to be slow start and seem to work great. I only ran them for a day or two many months ago when I took this picture.

I've been testing out GZ-32, GZ-33 and GZ-37's lately. They work great. I have not wrote down all my results yet. So this is from memory. The GZ-37 drops the B+ about 40 volts and will result in a more relaxed presentation. The GZ-32 actually raises the B+ about 15 volts so the presentation is tighter and punchier... Next up will be the GZ-33........

Visually the GZ-32 is a better match to KT-88's. The GZ-37 and GZ-33 look great with the Tung-sol KT-120 or KT-150's !

Let us know how the GZ33's do mang!

The GZ37 is really not ideal for the VRD since it does not like huge power supplies especially the first input filter cap... Some early VRD's would give the GZ37 fits... The 32 and 33 will work perfectly but I have yet to source some GZ33's but I will soon. I figured with the current state of the true NOS GZ34 supplies and pricing I needed to see what these other mighty recrtifiers had to offer. Plus the GZ32 will allow you to pump more current to tubes like the KT-120s and 150s without undo stress to the rectifier. In the end as these supplies keep dwendling I'll have to redigned the VRD or design a second version for dual tube rectifiers for use with KT-150's......... not a big deal but a major expenditure in stocking custom fabricated parts.

Edited by NOSValves