VRD Mono Blocks

muel

Hey Tom! I got the cabinet wrapped around the NBS now. I'll have nice pics when the weather gets decent for a day. It looks AMAZING! Be prepared folks.... This NBS Cab is the envy of all!

Glad you like the Copper caps. Add more, or take away less? :)  I think they are very swell indeed. Bout time for some of those tubes aint it? Christmas to self? lol 

Tom is da man too!!!

Edited by paul79

Santa.... You're funny! For you, maybe a Santa sale :)

My screw up on first reply.

You're a good man Paul , sure you don't need more case work? ;) Thanks for the kind words in the earlier post

Edited by tk49

Why are some people more prone to getting them than others? So you have 4 more to see about. Thats some kidney stones now! What if you slammed water all day every day, would you still get them?

More than likely genetic like every other ailment known to mankind.

Genetic and caffeine, lots of black soda pop is bad!

Roger

I drink water all day everyday(with some beer and whiskey in between) and I still can't afford VRDs.  Maybe I drink to much good beer and whiskey. 

You should consider the stereo version of the VRD's!  It is no slouch and the tone is identical to the mono blocks.  The mono blocks have a little tighter bass and more power but the stereo version is a bargain! 

CBS 7318 in the 12au7 slots and Brimar CV4035 for the 12ax7.  The Brimars are tied with the Mullard 10m as my favorite.  The CBS is hands down the perfect tube for the job!  Currently the KT88's are Gold Lions and 5ar4's are Sovtek.  Usually, I've been using the Penta KT88SC and Mullards. 

I've been thinking about trying the KT90 or 150... what's your experience?

What you think of the Gold Lions Cameron? Vs. the Penta's?

I wouldn't bother with the bigger Tung-Sol's. I really doubt they will sound any different. I don't really care for the KT120, but Craig says I need to try them with the Mullard CV593 rectifier and crank up the bias. I will try this, and maybe then my opinion will change, but I am extremely happy with the amps with the tubes I have in them. Don't really see how they could get any better.

Yeah, we are messing around with a good thing.

I didn't notice a substantial difference with the Gold Lions. Maybe a little difference in the bass but not enough for me to say for sure. I would stick with whatever we get the most hours of life. I might swap them out again for better comparison.

Yep. With exception of a couple warranty deals, the Penta's last. I have some of the Monger tubes here. I just don't want to mess with the amps at all right now. They are sounding just absolutely perfect. The damn 10M's will likely last forever (knocking on wood) lol But I will play one day when I feel froggy :)

Edited by paul79