Klipschorns purchased in the late 80's.

gweedotk

Greetings,

1st time for this forum, I hope this is the correct thread.Recently shipped Klipschorns purchased in the late 80's from Oregon where I grew up to Kansas where I now live. My parents had been using them with their TV forever.SN's 10R570 & 10R571. After reading a little of this forum looks like they were the 10,571 & 572 units made in 1977. Still have the original crossovers and I am assuming all else is original as well. They must be a basic model or kit as there is no grill cloth or any fancy frill to them.

Hooked them up to Phase Linear 700 Series II amp / preamp and wow... (hope the neighbors are ready for this) but for a 35 year old basic plain jane model the sound is awesome.Of course now after reading the forum and checking the ALK Eng website I see that there is opportunity to spend more $$$. I like the idea of new improved crossovers, but for now will probably just enjoy them as is for a while.

I have them (dont freak) in my 20' x 25' garage, positioned in corners. Concrete floor with wood frame walls and no inside sheetrock or paneling. Yes they still sound good. Thinking maybe I should panel or sheetrock or insulate the corners behind the speakers to improve Bass. Any thought or comments?

Thanks

post-57738-13819801382582_thumb.jpg

Congratulation on the k-horns! definitely get them into corners, the bass will thank you. Don´t plan to do anything to them re: crossovers, drivers, wires,, etc. until you have listened to them a LOT in your system, with your music. once you have a better idea of what you feel the shortcomings are then you can plan mods to address those. enjoy the music! T

The thing about the garage that worries me is the possibility of damage if the floor is damp. So a triangle of plywood underneath would be a good thing. Of course you know your conditions in that area better than we do. A fair number of Khorn which come around on the forum have water damage at the bottom.

One very popular addition to any K-horn is to use split pipe insulation to get a good seal to the walls and corner.

Congrats.

WMcD