DAC or HD 990 ?

jfg02

Hi everyone. I'm looking forward to upgrade the stereo part of my audio system. My amp is a Harman Kardon 3600, my source for the moment is a Sony BDSP. I wonder if it would be better for me to buy a DAC (with a bypass, for when I want to go 5.1? which one would you suggest) or to get a dedicated Harman Kardon HD 990 CD player, or any other better CD player for around the same price. My budget is around 300 to 400 dollars. Thank you

I myself love buying physical media but the trend would seem to be toward digital file downloads. It would also seem some manufacturers are getting out of the business of building dedicated CD players. Your price range falls short of really exceptional but not ridiculously overpriced CD players. Add to this you already have a multi-format player and it seems an easy call to go with a DAC. The ability to play whatever you want from your listening position without having to Jockey discs is as they say, "Priceless". Many on this forum like the HRT Music Streamer, available at a few different price points under $400. I'm not sure about mult-channel pass-through on those models as I own something different for dedicated 2 ch listening but there must be dozens of choices that fit your needs and budget.