Klipsch RF7 ii converted to 2-channel nirvana

gago1101

I wanted to share this with all of you. I had recently purchased the RF7ii speakers and was powering them with Mcintosh MC275 50th anniversary edition amp. I did not like what I heard, it was not sounding right. I could tell though that those cerametallic woofers were awesome and that the horn could not produce a clean high frequency sound. I decided to take out the crossovers and use an electronic one instead. I purchased a Fostex TA900 super tweeters in addition to 2 additional power sources: eyed4sound stereo sx500 and Consonance 800SE tube mono blocks to power them. Finally, instead of getting subwoofers, I hooked up a bass processor to my low frequency output only.

To recap:

Oppo BDP-95 to Behringer CX3400 crossover, (crossover points: 850Hz, 7.5Khz)
Low frequency goes to Behringer xs3040 sonic enhancer before going to the Wyred4sound SX500 amplifier
Mid: Mcintosh MC275 50th anniversary edition powers the horn
highs: Consocnance 800SE monoblock in triode mode (35w/channel) to Fostex horn supertweeters

First, I got a say that my bass now is what I always wanted, but thought never possible. I get chest pumping tight and fast bass that goes down to 20Hz at 0db (see measurements below) and it pressurizes my huge 18 feet high living room to uncomfortable levels.

Now the sound. People refer to the RF7s as harsh and I have to agree, out of the box they are. With this new set up, they sound so much better and buttery. To describe the overall experience would be: huge sound stage, fast, incredible dynamics and transients, exquisite vocals and mid range, grain free detailed high frequency. Most importantly, I can now listen to these speakers at very high levels 95db and higher at my listening position and not have ear fatigue... I am serious. They also do sound as good at low to moderate volumes as they do loud.

I have recently made several trips back and forth to a few dealers auditioning and comparing speakers like the B&W 800Ds and Sonus Faber Stradivaris. These have always been the speakers I had dreamt about. I think now though my Klpisch are in a different league altogether.

Here is my setup and the room response with both speakers measured at 4 meters

Posted Image
Posted Image

The first time I setup my RF 7's I heard the harhness that people talk about. With a little work on placement and tweaks, a great sound emerges. Ya got love the bass from the cerametalic woofer. Nice frequency response for the room and a very nice setup!

With a little work on placement and tweaks, a great sound emerges.

+1 [Y] Well said. Poor placement plus the wrong amp and they'll be a hot mess, guaranteed. Placed correctly and well powered, they'll even give Cornwall III's a run for their money.

Glad you found the sound you were looking for!

My ears are still recovering from their last experience with a Sonus Faber product. [:S]

Nice setup, beautiful gear.......I always find it interesting to hear what people go through to get the sound they want. It is usually no small task. It definitely sounds and looks like you took your RF-7ii's to the next level, not to mention the small mountain of bass below 100hz from the xs3040. Nice work and thanks for sharing...[Y]