tempermental 2 channel systems

Mike Dubay

Fellow Klipschfans: So how tempermental is your 2 channel system to changes?

My system seems to be very tempermental requiring adjustment after even what I would call minor changes.

Case in point is what I expected to be a simple change this evening. This evening was a simple swap of my CD player, the older Dennon being replaced with my model CDP-5001 Marantz. I always found the Marantz to have a detailed sound, so I expected an improvement in detail in my system. First thing I noticed the high frequencies were lounder, giving a 'hot' overall sound, I got my spectrum analyzer out and with some final tweeking using male vocals and reset the mid/tweeter to woofer balance to 2 db less than previous. This change I would not have expected to have to make.

But was then very dissapointed in the sound of the vocals, the frequency balance seemed right but having a harshness which I intrepret as distortion. Oh boy I thought that my detailed CD player just showed me how rotten my system sounded. So I do for more fussing around with the active cross over. The majic happen when I moved the cross over frequency from 600 hz, to 500 hz, then to 400hz. With each step an improvement in sound until at the 400 hz cross over I was back to the beautful vocals I have been used to.

I know of another system based on Klipschhorns, (the Kevhorns) and no matter what you do it sounds great, change to a DIY valve CD player, sounds great. Play then on my SET amp, sounds great. Go from McIntosh solid state to tube amp, both sound great. Kevin goes from a McIntosh preamp to a Cary, both sound great to me. And always having a low noise level.

I can look at my cross eyed which can cause a ground loop.

So is your system tempermental?

Have any horror stories on a small change causing unexpected changes?

But at the end of the day my Cornscalas are in a good place, sounding etheral...

Mike, man that has to be frustrating. My heritage systems have been more like the other system to which you refer. Making changes has been no problem. One thing, these systems with Khorns, LaScalas and Heresys have always had passive crossovers. The 400hz crossover point seems to be a magic number for Heritage speakers.