Any tips on painting in-wall frames and grills?

twalkonline

I have some in-walls that are currently unpainted, but the plastic frames are yellowing with age, while the grills are still white. So, I'm going to paint them - frames and grills. Should I use the same latex flat wall paint as the walls or the matching enamel trim paint? My biggest concern is how to make sure I don't plug the holes in the grills. Is there a trick to brushing, spraying or maybe thinning the paint? I've seen a lot of pretty amateurish painting of these things and would prefer not to ruin a set of grills before I get it right. Also, my life expectancy is not long enough to have to take a finishing nail and punch dried paint out of all the holes in one of these things. Maybe I should be asking this on the Sherwin-Williams forum! Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

I had some grunge in little laptop metal grills and it was not difficult to push it out with a toothbrush.

I don't know about painting, though. If I were doing the paint job I would cover the back side with masking tape. Maybe the paint which occupies the little holes in the grill by capillary action will be stuck to the sticky side of the masking tape and will come out of the holes when you remove it.

'Maybe very light coat of spray on lacquer like Krylon will prevent some clogging.

WMcD

First follow Trey's instructions to remove the white grill fabric backing and clean the grill and frame to remove any potential impurity build-up.

I just finished spraying grills and frames on a pair of RCSW-5s to match new wall color. We wanted the speakers to disappear, so they were painted the same color as the wall. The match is perfect.

I used an Earlex 5500 Spray Station with Benjamin Moore Regal Interior Latex Wall paint with an eggshell sheen. I thinned the paint about 10% with water and sprayed with the 2.0mm tip. I was amazed!! That little sprayer actually sprays latex wall paint!! I have also used it to spray black General Finishes semi-gloss milk paint with a 1.5mm tip over Klipsch pro speakers with terrific success.

http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV5500-Spray-Station/dp/B004RGOKR2

• 3 weeks later...