23 second audio delay

fini

It's baseball playoff time again, and I'm looking to improve my setup for listening to the AM radio broadcast while watching the television broadcast. The television lags by about 23 seconds, so that's about how much delay I need for the radio. I've tried the Griffin Radioshark, but the reception is pretty horrible. I own a Sony XDR-F1HD tuner, which receives the baseball broadcast very well.

Thoughts include hacking the Radioshark to bypass the internal tuner (possibly using the Sony tuner), or using the Sony with another device (or Mac-friendly software) that will delay up to 23 seconds.

Here's the previous conversation, from 2 years ago:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/140094.aspx?PageIndex=1

Fini, (also using Chrome which sux on the forum) I've had the same issue watching Razorback football on TV with audio from the radio. In the case of the razorbacks it sort of softens the shock of hearing the trainwreck before seeing it actually happen.

Fini, (also using Chrome which sux on the forum) I've had the same issue watching Razorback football on TV with audio from the radio. In the case of the razorbacks it sort of softens the shock of hearing the trainwreck before seeing it actually happen.

And to think that it all started with a small motorcycle crash....

I was thinking if I knew more about AM circuits, that I could hack into the thing and somehow replace the internal tuner with the Sony's, but tuning with the Radioshark is done digitally (using the computer) so it's not so simple (or even possible?). I think the direction that would yield the best sound quality is to try and get some outboard delay processor with RCA inputs and outputs. Even if I had to rent it for a month...

I did a couple of experiments with one of my Windows PCs...

I have a multitrack audio program on it (REAPER... you can download it and try it forever, but it's NOT freeware).

The delay effects plugins that come with it only allow a delay up to 4000ms, so I chained 6 of them together. The last one I set for 3000ms, for a total of 23 sec. I set each one for only the delayed signal to be output, so you don't end up with a repeat, blah, blah... Nice! The audio fed in comes out 23 seconds later and sounds as good as what went in.

But you are a Mac user. There could be something you could use in Garage Band that would do the same thing. Lots of FX are available in different formats (DX, VST, etc.), so you can probably find sommething for free.

btw, with a multi output sound card, you could set up filters to make up a stereo 2/3/4 way crossover, and set delays and eq as needed. It would be great for trying out actives without getting a DX38 or similar. Most PCs could handle two channels in without much problem.

Bruce

So you're trying to watch over the TV but listen over your PC?

(apologies if I'm confused....it's not my first time I assure you!)

If that is accurate, what if instead, you bring your stereo into the equation and (drumroll) slap an active crossover in there with some signal delay?

I happen to have a second Dx38 (uses XLR connectors) that is at WC's right now. He says he's planning on shipping it out to me on Monday. If you like the idea, I could try to catch him before he sends it and have him ship it to you instead. You could use it during the rest of the season & send it back to me when you're done.

Food for thought

So you're trying to watch over the TV but listen over your PC?

(apologies if I'm confused....it's not my first time I assure you!)

If that is accurate, what if instead, you bring your stereo into the equation and (drumroll) slap an active crossover in there with some signal delay?

I happen to have a second Dx38 (uses XLR connectors) that is at WC's right now. He says he's planning on shipping it out to me on Monday. If you like the idea, I could try to catch him before he sends it and have him ship it to you instead. You could use it during the rest of the season & send it back to me when you're done.

Food for thought

I don't think a Dx38 is going to be able to do 23 sec of delay...but maybe you can. That's why I experimeted with the delay FX plugins in the audio software.

Bruce

I don't think a Dx38 is going to be able to do 23 sec of delay.

Looks like you're right. I just went to play with it and it's maxed at 900 ms capability which is about 9/10'ths of a second.

On second thought, perhaps Fini could string about 26 active crossovers together with each one slowing down the sound by 9/10'ths of a second?

Merely a thought... [:D]

WC, you may as well ship it out to me. I should have looked before jumping.