Capacitors & Computers

artarama

Ok so I hate to mix work and pleasure but...

My desktop Lenovo ThinkCentre has started to run super (insert explicative of your choice) slow and without all the IT trouble shooting which is not part of this forum, thank goodness I do have this one question.

I opened up the box and noticed three 6.3V, 1000 microfarad electrolytic caps that are on the motherboard are starting to crown and look like they are ready to blow!

Could bad caps cause a computer to "slow down" (affect performance) or would the machine just fail when they go?

As a general rule... No. Failing caps will not effect performance. It depends on where in the circuit they are.

I have seen bad caps cause blue screens but only because the chip(s) they were buffering power to went flaky because of bad power.

If that machine were brought to me (I do IT for a living) my first look would be for malware or BOT activity. There are any number of free "cleaners" that will work wonders on a sluggish PC.

If you want to chat PM me a phone number and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

As a general rule... No. Failing caps will not effect performance. It depends on where in the circuit they are.

I have seen bad caps cause blue screens but only because the chip(s) they were buffering power to went flaky because of bad power.

If that machine were brought to me (I do IT for a living) my first look would be for malware or BOT activity. There are any number of free "cleaners" that will work wonders on a sluggish PC.

If you want to chat PM me a phone number and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks man that is very generous, PM sent.

We had a couple of Lenovo desktops with bad caps, and they just stopped booting. Although they were both out of warranty, Lenovo replaced the motherboards free of charge becuse it was a defect. btw, they were both personal PCs, one owned by a student and one the home PC of a faculty member.

Bruce

Usually the motherboard will be toast if the caps die and will cease to boot. I've also had them pop and start on fire [:(]

Go with jhoak's answer. There can also be a bunch of applications that start up (if you have done any updating) that didn't before. They will eat CPU cycles.

I took jhoak's suggestion and looked online for a good cleaner. I used a couple recommended resister fix programs and subscribed to one (can't remember the names right now) that helped a lot. Still far from "fast as new" but much better.

I think I will try to replace these caps at some point just to extend the service life of the unit. It looks like it will be a lot harder to get the mother board out of the case than it will be to change out the caps.

Thanks for all the input.