Turntable Cabinet to match VRDs

muel

I'd suggest you check out the wood bases for SL-1200s from KAB. They fit perfectly.

I have one of the oiled walnut ones and it looks great. It may even improve the sound slightly.

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ttables.htm

Click on 'Sound Accessories', then 'SL-1200 Accessories', then "Hardwood Cabinets'.

Actually, I emailed Kevin at KAB but he wasn't interested in changing anything on his cabinets and didn't offer any customization. He has always been great to deal with and very helpful to me on multiple occasions. I understand it just wasn't worth the trouble to him and I don't fault him at all! He suggested and I considered sanding the finish off one of his but later decided it would be much better to make one to match the VRDs.

Mine have a shellack finish and no stain as I much prefer a clear finish for cherry! The sides of the cabinet are taller to accommodate the taller Isonoe footers. As far as measurements I used a good carpenters tape and I must have measured and remeasured that Technics 20 times! I also checked it for square in case there was a bit of a curve (it was perfect). I found the specs online and found that they were exactly what I measured. Find them here: http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_specs_sl1200mk2.asp

The back is only enclosed 2-1/16" from the inside edge to not get in the way of the hinges. For the height just measure from the bottom of the feet to the top of the deck and add enough for bottom frame where the feet will set. Obviously the most important measurements are the INSIDE dimensions of your cabinet... I would suggest you double check your own TT to be sure it isn't a little different. There is no way I would have tried to build this with the tight tolerances that Tom used! That required that it come out perfectly square and straight which it did. I imagine Tom wouldn't mind building another one of these since he has worked it out.

Dovetail corners would look awesome but I was looking for a more simple look.

post-38437-13819802911224_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! Where's the pics showing the VRDs and TT together? Roll-eyes

Bruce

No group pics yet... I'm embarrassed to say that the TT is sitting on my desk and the VRDs aren't even close as they are sitting on a desk made out of a formica bar top sitting on top of some file cabinets. Honestly, I haven't really even thought much about getting a nice cabinet yet. I guess that tells you something about my priorities. [:$]