Best blu ray player around 500?

Heritage_Head

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best what?

Everything over HDMI or do you want analog outputs (and therefore good bass management and LFE gain handling)?

Need WiFi? Netflix access and all the other internet services? Ability to play mp4 videos from USB devices?

If bits are bits, with everything going over HDMI, a modern $150 player may have way connectivity and features than $1000 players from 3 years ago. I use a $150 Sony S590 and it does everything I need.

used... oppo 93 can be had for somewhere around 500

I think you mean 95. The 93's were $499 retail, and they are discontinued.

Surprisingly (to me anyway) the 95's haven't taken the hit I thought they would. The only one I see on Audiogon is listed for 825. I was planning on picking one up if I could, but I am thinking I'll just go with the 103 now.

Best what?

Everything over HDMI or do you want analog outputs (and therefore good bass management and LFE gain handling)?

Need WiFi? Netflix access and all the other internet services? Ability to play mp4 videos from USB devices?

If bits are bits, with everything going over HDMI, a modern $150 player may have way connectivity and features than $1000 players from 3 years ago. I use a $150 Sony S590 and it does everything I need.

I have two players atm and both have issues. I have a 1st

generation ps3 that worked really well for years (super-fast no hick ups played

everything) but I think it’s on its last leg. It has trouble playing some blu

rays all the way though. At first I thought it was the blu rays but I can take

the same discs put them in my cheap 3 year old blu ray player and they work

fine. I have so many hours on that ps3 that I know it’s just a matter of time

(so it would be nice if it would hold up tell ps4 for gaming). The cheaper Sony

works pretty well but it’s cheap and works like it’s cheap. It’s super slow and

when a blu ray stops working in the ps3 and I put it in the other player I can

see and hear the difference (no bs) its super close but it’s there (I really

see it on my projector). So I want a player that will play everything no hick

ups and that runs fast and flawless with the same audio and video quality as my

older ps3. (Yes I have all the updates).

Would I get this from a player like the oppo103? Or would I have

to spend the cash and get the 105? I don’t care about apps just want a perfect

fast machine (I really don’t want to spend 1k lol).

Best what?

The cheaper Sony

Well, I had a 3-year-old $350 Sony and it gave up this summer and replaced it with an S590 for $150. The new one is much much faster, streams Netflix and various Internet content, plays videos off of USB and the local network, is WiFi, plays SACD over HDMI... overall a much nicer machine than my 3-year-old Sony. As for seeing and hearing differences... well, it's pulling bits off a disk and putting them onto a HDMI transport. Just saying.

• Moderators

Sorry can't help, I am cheap. I will say high priced models will still seem old in 2-3 years, will there be any changes over the next 2 years to make it outdated ? Probably so, so it may be replaced in a couple of years anyway ?

Me I would buy a decent one and hope it's makes it until the next greatest changes. [:S]

The 103 looks pretty nice. Is there an advantage to the 95?

The 95 has a great DAC, and analog outs. The 103 sends its output digitally, so your AVR can use it's DAC. I use the 93, the predecessor of the 103, as I have a powerful DAC in my preamp. If I didn't, I might have purchased a 95.

Best what?

I have two players atm and both have issues. I have a 1st generation ps3 that worked really well for years (super-fast no hick ups played everything) but I think it’s on its last leg. It has trouble playing some blu rays all the way though. At first I thought it was the blu rays but I can take the same discs put them in my cheap 3 year old blu ray player and they work fine. I have so many hours on that ps3 that I know it’s just a matter of time (so it would be nice if it would hold up tell ps4 for gaming). The cheaper Sony works pretty well but it’s cheap and works like it’s cheap. It’s super slow and when a blu ray stops working in the ps3 and I put it in the other player I can see and hear the difference (no bs) its super close but it’s there (I really see it on my projector). So I want a player that will play everything no hick ups and that runs fast and flawless with the same audio and video quality as my older ps3. (Yes I have all the updates).

Would I get this from a player like the oppo103? Or would I have to spend the cash and get the 105? I don’t care about apps just want a perfect fast machine (I really don’t want to spend 1k lol).

The only reason you would spend for the 105 is if you want to use it's DAC, and run analog outs to an AVR. The BDP-103 is likely all you need because like most people, you are going to run an HDMI cord from it to your AVR. If you connect with HDMI to an AVR, the BDP-103 is all you need. The 105 would be a total waste of money.

Best what?

The cheaper Sony

Well, I had a 3-year-old $350 Sony and it gave up this summer and replaced it with an S590 for $150. The new one is much much faster, streams Netflix and various Internet content, plays videos off of USB and the local network, is WiFi, plays SACD over HDMI... overall a much nicer machine than my 3-year-old Sony. As for seeing and hearing differences... well, it's pulling bits off a disk and putting them onto a HDMI transport. Just saying.

I have never been in that camp that would hear one cd payer

vs another and hear any difference. So I get where you are coming from. But I can

tell you with a 100% certainty that the picture quality is different between

the two players. I would have never believed it tell I saw it over and over again.

To me, it all boils down to the law of diminishing return....but that's just my opinion.

I agree $500+ for a blu ray is probably not a great value.
However I use my player every day so whatever I buy it’s going to get used a
ton. I don’t want a player that works
great for a year or two then starts not playing some blu rays or other issues (like
what I have). But paying $500 doesn’t guarantee anything either so I’m still
not sure.

I guess what I’m trying to say is if paying extra gives me a
great product that lasts as long as I ever want or need a blu ray player. Then wouldn’t
it be worth it vs buying 2 or even 3 cheaper models that never run as good +
the hassle of buying new ones? My gut tells me get it right with higher quality.

The 103 looks pretty nice. Is there an advantage to the 95?

The 95 has a great DAC, and analog outs. The 103 sends its output digitally, so your AVR can use it's DAC. I use the 93, the predecessor of the 103, as I have a powerful DAC in my preamp. If I didn't, I might have purchased a 95.

The DAC is the only upgrade of the two?