K-horn MSRP

itlldue

Can anyone tell me what the MSRP was for a pair of Klipsch Khorns in 1979/80? There's a "theoretical" ratio of what each of your audio components should cost in relationship with each other. I didn't buy my Khorns until about three years ago, but the rest of my setup is all 79/80 vintage, and I'd like to plug the number in to see how it comes out.

Thanks in advance.

Got the reciept from 1978 on my Dad's Klipschorns that he bought brand new....$1500.00

Was the price each or for the pair? [;)]

The reason I ask is that the forum member 'LousyTourist' recently sold his original owner 1979 Khorns and listed the pair as $2,900 new in this thread, which would be $1,450 each.

http://audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Speakers-Hi-Eff/Klipsch/Klipschorn/corner-speakers/65806

In addition, this thread suggests $1,440 each for 1979 Khorns (although the poster is relying on memory).

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/175902-m19s.html

An old review in this thread where an owner claims to be original owner that bought Klipshorns in 1976 that were oiled walnut version for $1,040 each.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/klipsch/orn/prd_119958_1594crx.aspx,

Can anyone tell me what the MSRP was for a pair of Klipsch Khorns in 1979/80? There's a "theoretical" ratio of what each of your audio components should cost in relationship with each other. I didn't buy my Khorns until about three years ago, but the rest of my setup is all 79/80 vintage, and I'd like to plug the number in to see how it comes out.

Thanks in advance.

A little trivia. [8-|]

If you use the various inflation calculators on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website and the CPI inflation calculator, then enter the $2,900 price per pair for the year 1979, both calculators return an amount of $9,202.47 for a new 1979 pair of Klipschorns in 2012 dollars.

Now consider that Klipschorns list for $4,500 each ($9,000 per pair) and amazon currently has Walnut Klipschorns for $3,839.47 each ($7,678.94 per pair), new 2012 Klipschorns (at either list or retail) would appear to be a better value today than in 1979 and Klipschorns are still made in the United States. [:P]

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=2900&year1=1979&year2=2012

Found the brochure but not the actual invoice my dad made notes on. He paid $764 each in Oct 1978. In the same brochure he wrote that Cornwalls were $399 each and Heresey's were $500 per pair. Looks like he got the La Scalas quoted as well at $567 each. Pretty cheap compared to todays prices.

Found the brochure but not the actual invoice my dad made notes on. He paid $764 each in Oct 1978. In the same brochure he wrote that Cornwalls were $399 each and Heresey's were $500 per pair. Looks like he got the La Scalas quoted as well at $567 each. Pretty cheap compared to todays prices.

With historical Klipsch speakers it seems that one answer to a question always leads to new questions. In looking at the 1977 price list in the link above, it would seem that birch raw (BR) or birch black (BB) would most likely fit your price range while oiled walnut (WO) or walnut lacquer (WL) would most likely fit the price range disclosed for the finished versions in the links I referenced.

Rick - love the link for the old Klipsch print ads. Nothing like a good old Klipsch archeological dig. [H]

There's a "theoretical" ratio of what each of your audio components should cost in relationship with each other.

Have
fun with the numbers if you like to crunch numbers, but don't give it
any weight at all. Just nonsense by a proclaimed "expert."

Believe me, I don't. Being I have the best sounding system ever built, I just wanted to see how close I came to the "experts" opinions.[:)]

Whoh. I wasn't talking about the OP.

I know that. I was just trying to glide over his obvious attempt to thread crap. I asked a simple question, explained the reason why, without mentioning whether or not I though the "ratio" was relevant. That way I can make my own "expert" determination.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I paid $1,440 each ($2880 for the pair) in 1982. They lasted fine until about 24 years later, when I blew a tweeter. My wife and I then installed a new AK4 kit in each, and replaced the metal midrange horns with stock fiberglass-like ones, bringing them up to modern stock standards. It took us hours. They now sound a little (not a lot) better, but I couldn't tell you whether that is due to design, or the 24 year old caps and drivers in the old Khorns getting long in the tooth.