I stopped into one of my local stereo dealerships...

D-Rex

I was just curious what speakers and receivers they sold since I hadn't visited a real one in 5-6 years. I seem to buy all of my speakers and receivers on-line, for better or worse. I don't remember the brand of speakers he sells, I think it was a name of only three consanants with the first starting with a 'D.' Regardless, I was just in there to browse so I mentioned I already had a surround system with Klipsch speakers. He then mentioned that Jamo had bought Klipsch out and made them their lower grade series, with Jamo being the top of the line. This was really news to me because I hadn't really been following the business side of Klipsch.

Now, when he said Klipsch was the lower grade he mentioned them being sold at Best Buy and I realized he was talking about the Synergy series, which made me wonder where the Reference series would fit, knowing that even within the Reference series there are different sizes to grade. I didn't ask him because he seemed less interested in discussing products he didn't sell.

He had a nice display of LED and a few Plasma televisions. The brightness of the LEDs capture my attention every time, but then the depth of the color on the plasma seems so much better most of the time. I found myself toggling back and forth trying to discern the differences. The LEDs displayed a beautiful white but, when you looked at the colors they often appeared washed out compared to the Plasma. I own the 64" Samsung Plasma and have owned a Plasma for about 8 years so I certainly lean towards them but the quality of the LEDs is still amazing.

They only carried the Integra series receiver, which reminds me that that was also the main brand carried by the last independent dealership I visited. He said the Onkyos (I own the Onkyo 818) were the next level down from the Integras and were once again sold in Best Buy stores.

I didn't listen to any of his speakers although I am sure they were of good quality because I ultimately believed he was not trying to push me to buy anything, he just liked to talk about A/V stuff.

He then mentioned that Jamo had bought Klipsch out and made them their lower grade series, with Jamo being the top of the line. This was really news to me because I hadn't really been following the business side of Klipsch.

Now, when he said Klipsch was the lower grade he mentioned them being sold at Best Buy and I realized he was talking about the Synergy series, which made me wonder where the Reference series would fit, knowing that even within the Reference series there are different sizes to grade. I didn't ask him because he seemed less interested in discussing products he didn't sell.

I believe he's a bit reversed there.

As found on the Klipsch website: "The Jamo® brand—owned by Klipsch Group, Inc.—bases all of its audio
products, speakers and electronics alike, on the Danish design tradition
of style, simplicity and functionality."

Klipsch was, however, recently acquired by Audiovox.

Yeah, it does appear you are right. When I went looking a bit I found some concerns that Klipsch would get bogged down with corporate red tape and possible meddling with the products by new management. I wonder how that transition has progressed...

• Moderators

Yeah, it does appear you are right. When I went looking a bit I found some concerns that Klipsch would get bogged down with corporate red tape and possible meddling with the products by new management. I wonder how that transition has progressed...

From what I have heard, it's going much better than what was expected by most, including employees.

They want to continue the Klipsch legend and have even moved back into some lines Klipsch had moved away from years ago.

New R&D into PRO and commercial products, Like for live music and even in permanent installations for large venues including line-array systems and all new stage models. Something Klipsch was very good at years ago, ask some Pro sound people about some of the old Klipsch designs that had came out, some sound companies still use these setups even.

[Y] This is one design of a whole new line for the Pro setups.

post-11804-1381980289846_thumb.jpg

Synergy is sold at HH Greg and the Icon's are sold at BB. Klipsch Reference speakers are better build quality but, the Icon and Synergy speakers are not cheap and sound great. Jamo speaker are also nice speakers but, they are not Klipsch reference speakers. The salesman did not know the current line-up of Klipsch speaker and was wrong in his statements.