In Memoriam: BIG TEX

Boxx

Today many Texas forum members were saddened to hear of the death of BIG TEX, an icon of the State Fair of Texas.

BIG TEX was the victim of an electrical fire that originated somewhere around his right boot.

He was celebrating his 60th anniversary at The Fair this year. TEX was still talking, with his big jaw moving, as the fire spread. His last words were said to be.... "Howdy folks, Welcome to the great State Fair of Texas."

Big_Tex.JPG

big-tex.jpg?w=600

Time marches on but.....I would vote to keep him looking exactly the same. I remember him from my very first trip to big D for the fair some 52 years ago this month. I was so awe stuck by the voice and movement but then I didn't have video games or a TV come to think of it.

I guess if you first saw the big guy when you were like 4 or 5, the sight of this brings back a flood of fond memories...regardless of how ugly he was.

Anyone remember Youngblood's Fried Chicken?

Chris

I guess if you first saw the big guy when you were like 4 or 5, the sight of this brings back a flood of fond memories...regardless of how ugly he was.

Anyone remember Youngblood's Fried Chicken?

Chris

I remember Youngblood's very well. When I was a kid, growing up in Dallas and playing little league baseball, whenever you hit a home run you got a free chicken dinner at Youngbloods.

Hmm...he suspiciously burned just days after Lance Armstrong was concluded to have doped in all his Tour de France wins. Early in his TdF series, Lance jokingly referred to himself as "Big Tex" after the custom of some European cyclists in adopting flamboyant nicknames. [*-)]