Denon 4308ci and subwoofer help

Rocko81

I have a Denon 4308ci that I don't know much about. I read through the instuction manual and it isn't very helpful to me. I'm pretty much ready to sell this thing and get back to a Marantz. Anyway with that said, I'm just running my RF-63's and a sub for a 2.1 set up right now. Unfortunatly the sub isnt being picked up for some reason. When I ran the audio set up, it found the sub, but for the life of me I can't get it to work. Am I missing something? I have the speakers set to large and the sub turned on but still nothing.

Thanks

-R

Hmmm tried both suggestions I can feel the sub move slightly. I'm sure there is some setting that I'm missing. It's been a long time since I've owned a HT receiver and I think this one is WAY more then I can handle. It may be a bit much of a sub for me too, lots of settings to choose from.

With that said, it there some type of loudness button on the Denon? I had an older Pioneer that fpr whatever reason the sub wouldn't kick in till the loudness button was on

Thanks again,

-R

Go into Manual Setup / Speaker Setup / Channel Level, and adjust the output of your sub. After i run Audyssey, I always go back to adjust the levels to my own hearing. My ears aren't as good as they used to be, so this adjustment is necessary. Also, see if there is a setting in your sub reducing the gain. I'd bet the level adjustment will do the trick. It is kinda your loudness button.

Use a Y connector for both sub inputs. The direct or pure direct setting will cut out the sub. After autocalibration, ideally the sub should be around 0. If it is a high + or - number, adjust the gain on the back of the sub up or down. Also try switching the phase control on the sub. Try moving the sub around the room to see where you get the best overall bass, this may be the most important thing in getting good bass in the room. I have a dual 12 and a 15 in. sub and never see the woofers move that much, matter of fact none of the speaker cones in my systems move that much compared to some other speakers that I have owned.. I can tell that they are working[:#]. Remeber, the sub should blend in with the other speaker and not standout. You can always download the Real Traps cd to see what the sub is doing and can do in the room.http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

If your sources can output analog or you have a DAC, I would suggest looking at Emotiva USP-1s. They are pretty cheap and designed for exactly what you are trying to do.

Emotiva USP-1

With that said though, I think you should be able to get the Denon working. There has to be an option in there somewhere to make it sound like you want. When you are testing your sub, are you playing something that is bass heavy?

Well it's back in the box. I'm moving next week so we'll see what happens when I set everything back up as as 5.1. Something tells me I'll end up with another Marantz and just sell the Denon.

Thank you all for the help!

You're welcome. If you decide to give it away, I can PM you my shipping address. [:)]

Well it's back in the box. I'm moving next week so we'll see what happens when I set everything back up as as 5.1. Something tells me I'll end up with another Marantz and just sell the Denon.

Thank you all for the help!

You're welcome. If you decide to give it away, I can PM you my shipping address. Smile

For a resonable fee it's yours! It will probably be in the Garage Sale section soon.

I like the Emotiva idea, been kicking that around for a while. Maybe now is the time to pull the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are some settings that need tweaking in your denon. As far as I know, that's a great AVR and should sound great. Re-run Audyssey and see what happens. I noticed when I first got my sub set up with my Denon it was lower than I had with my onkyo, but I had turned the sub up. I ended up turning the sub up with my Denon and then did some research. After my research I re-ran audyssey and left the settings alone. Basically I felt that my bass had disappeared, but someone explained to me that I was hearing 'reference' bass and that I would get used to it. I tried it for a couple weeks, and then turned the sub up and it ended up sounding too bloated, so I put it back to where audyssey had set it and have not touched it since. This may be your issue, hearing something that you are 'used' to other than what it 'should' be. Try audyssey again, leave it for a couple weeks and see what you think.