Small Basement Theater

ebdixson

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/input on using RF-62's in a small room set-up?

I have recently received the OK from the wife to upgrade the system, and I want to make sure I get something I will be happy with for years to come,

but also something that won't be overkill for the application.

The basement is large and finished, but the area where the speakers/theater will be set up is only 8 x 14 (with 8.5 ceilings), with one side wall opening to the rest of the basement. The speakers would be 6 feet apart and I was planning on pairing them with a RC-62, R-3650 in-walls for surround (due to only having one side wall), and a KSW-10 sub from the Quintet system it is replacing.

It is possible that the speakers will be moved to a larger area in the future, but likely not anytime soon.

I will be using a Denon AVR 1911 initially. I have looked into different sub/satellite systems, but it doesn't seem like it is worth upgrading unless I get something dramatically better than what I currently have. I would normally be open to bookshelf speakers, but I have a 2 year old and other on the way, so having speakers on stands isn't going to work. I have always had floor standing speakers (mainly Polk) before the Quintet, and as much as I like the Quintet system, it just can't replicate the full sound of a larger speaker.

I have considered the RF-52s as well, and that may be a good choice too.

Any thoughts/suggestions/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I think the rf-62 ht is the best bang for your buck in the ref line up. 82's are ok if you want a little more bass but if you have a descent sub you can save your money and go with the rf-62. Having owned all of them I can tell you the rf-62 is a much larger sounding speaker than the rf-52's. as is the center. Go with the rf-62ht and get it from acoustic sound design. Give them a call for best pricing. Ask for mike. He will make a sweet deal with you. And usually if you get a while set at once you will get a free sub so that will be cool to see if the free one will match or beat the one you already have.

ebdixson: I do have some experience concerning small HT's. I designed and finished building ours in 2004 and I've needed to make zero changes in it since then. I am totally thrilled with how our tiny theater sounds just the way it is. Similarly to your design, our theater is only 10.5W x 19L x 7H. The main difference is that we are using RF-7's and an RC-7 up front, an RS-7 on each side, two RCW-5's in the back wall and an RSW-15 sub midway back along the left wall (it shakes our seats, too). With that said, acobut trust meustically, the room works almost perfectly with that setup and therefore, given your choice of components, I do not think you'll need to fear having committed any "overkill". I believe it's always better to err on the side of going a bit large, rather than going too small, becuase "too small" can't make up the difference. I agree with the advice that Scrappydue has provided for you above and believe that you won't be disappointed by the RF-62's so long as they are paired with a good sub. That open side may be a bit of an issue, bass-wise, but that depends on how large the entire, combined space is as well as its construction composition. It's a shame you can't utilize the larger space now that you'd mentioned, but trust me, having raised twho kids of our own, I know how plans must be adjusted in order to balance family growth! Family comes first! The best of luck to you and please take some photos and share your progress with the rest of us! -Glenn

Thank you both for the input!

I will stay with the original plan and stick with the RF-62s. They may be a bit much for the current set up,

but they will be a better long term solution if I'm able to utilize more space in the future.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Well - the speakers are on the way! I ended up going with the RF-62ii's, a RC-52ii (reluctantly...I realized right before ordering that my current entertainment

center wouldn't be able to fit the 62. Rather than try explaining to the wife why a new one would be needed to accommodate a bigger speaker, I just went with the 52), 5650ii W in-walls for the surrounds, and a SW-112.

A big thanks to Scrappy for suggesting that I call Acoustic Sound Design. The price he put together far exceeded my hopes when I made the call on Sunday. I was literally blown away.

I also ended up ordering a new receiver, clearly blowing my original budget out of the water. [;)]

I ended up getting a Denon AVR 3313, which should be a good match with the speakers.

I'm hoping the speakers will be in early next week. I'll come back with some thoughts once I have a chance to get things up and running.

Thanks again for all the insight on the Forum (long time lurker) - this is one of the best AV communities out there.

Congrats! There is nothing like getting your theater setup. Just wait until everything is hooked up and you sit down for the first time and crank it! Let us know how it turns out. One movie you should get if you don't already have it is......Master and Commander on Blu-Ray.....put it on....turn it up....and let your ears enjoy the Klipsch ectasy!