Building a computer, need help

Foost

I am attempting to build a computer for the first time and have some questions. I would also like opinions on what i am planning to buy so far.

Pentium 4 2ghz 512 cache 478 - $197

VIA P4XB-SA m.b. - $74

Dane-elec DDR 512 SDRAM - $102

Maxtor Quietdrive 40 GB - $78

MSI Geforce 4 64 mb - $68

S.B. live 5.1 - $32

sony floppy - $15

Antec 330w case - $95

Creative modem f/d/v - $20

*note - i'm not sure which burner yet

Questions

1. Are these decent prices?

2. Is that motherboard going to work for the memory and processor i described?

3. Do these parts all look compatible?

4, I guess i need a heatsink, what should i get?

let me know if you need more info. Please let me know what you think and feel free to make suggestions. I can't afford to mess this up.

thanks

Ok, personally I do not like anything Intel, but I have learned to deal with it. Part of one of those 5-step plans. Smile.gif

Anyway, I would get a different motherboard. I HATE VIA chipsets! HATE Hate Hate Hate! They have a problem, and I have a problem with them. They have crazy things with AGp and SB cards, etc, etc, etc.! But do they make a P4 mobo with no VIA?

The floppy could be cheaper, I have seen them as low as about $5 before.

hard drive, preferably 7200 RPM.

Which geForc4? No doubt an MX, but which one?

Also, ditch the SBLIVE5.1. You will regret it later. They have problems too. I regret to this day buying mine. Get a GTXP, AE, or SC.

Prices look ok, but I'd say some parts need adjusting. Are you really set on P4? You could get an Atlon XP 2100+ for cheaper probably and in my opinion, it is FAR superior even though it is a bit slower in clock speed.

Fan- not sure. I am not in to P4 systems, but I'd check in to Coolermaster. get something with at least a 32 CFM air flow to the CPU/heatsink.

------------------

Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665.

BTW ALL HALE THE FLOMPY DOODLE GUY!!! icon98.gif (Flompy Doodle Guy= A Tech Term originally created by Cluless being borrowed for this signature)

s>

BTW, be sure to check out PriceWatch for great prices on computer parts of all kinds. Smile.gif

------------------

Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665.

BTW ALL HALE THE FLOMPY DOODLE GUY!!! icon98.gif (Flompy Doodle Guy= A Tech Term originally created by Cluless being borrowed for this signature)

s>

check out sharkeyextreme forums, they are excellent for this kind of help.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

trespasser_guy

Ok buddy, you just lost some brownie points...43.gif

I work at Intel and can tell you Intel makes a very good chip. The P4 rocks!

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 06-14-2002 at 12:11 PM

LOL sorry m00n! I have a friend who is a computer genius and he said AMD is best, so I went with it. And I do like AMD, but recently I have learned to tolerate Intel. cwm4.gif

What do you do there?

Does anyone know which type is actually better? Would be funny if they were actually the same company somewhere down the lines and they just liked watching people argue... ahahhahaha

------------------

icon98.gif Have a ProMedia sound problem? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have PM sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665. icon97.gif

s>

This message has been edited by trespasser_guy on 06-14-2002 at 12:20 PM

Both AMD and Intel make good chips. As far as benchmarks, I can't really tell you as I just don't follow them closely.

You will find that AMD vs Intel is just like the old debate, Ford vs Chevy or what have ya. There are fans in both camp that will defend each chip to the last bitter stand.cwm1.gif

Another thing, is that there is not much software written yet to take advantage of the new P4 architecture.

What do I do here? I am a sofware engineer. I develope software to help Intel's eBusiness. It's all web based application development using Microsfts .NET.

I have a buddy who works over in a lab, he sees processors that are always about a year or two away from being put out on the market. Good stuff.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 06-14-2002 at 02:07 PM

Both AMD and Intel make good chips. As far as benchmarks, I can't really tell you as I just don't follow them closely.

You will find that AMD vs Intel is just like the old debate, Ford vs Chevy or what have ya. There are fans in both camp that will defend each chip to the last bitter stand.cwm1.gif

Another thing, is that there is not much software written yet to take advantage of the new P4 architecture.

What do I do here? I am a sofware engineer. I develope software to help Intel's eBusiness. It's all web based application development using Microsfts .NET.

I have a buddy who works over in a lab, he sees processors that are always about a year or two away from being put out on the market. Good stuff.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is your PC

Pentium 4 2ghz 512 cache 478 - $197

VIA P4XB-SA m.b. - $74

Dane-elec DDR 512 SDRAM - $102

Maxtor Quietdrive 40 GB - $78

MSI Geforce 4 64 mb - $68

S.B. live 5.1 - $32

sony floppy - $15

Antec 330w case - $95

Creative modem f/d/v - $20

First off the P4 is a very good chip,both performance and price.In fact it trashes the Athon when both are overclocked to the MAX!The P4 overclocks better,as simple as that.

The P4 is less of a heater too,does not need as much cooling.And the P4 will never overheat and toast.The Athlon can be roasted.The better CPU overall is the P4

I have both(2100XP+ and a P42.26Ghz)So its not a fan boy BS.Besides I install and configure high end gaming PC's as well as medium and large servers.Experience here

For as server the P4(Xeon)is king,for pure power for gaming the Athon is the best choice,not by much as the P4's are dirt cheap and are pretty fast.When overclocked the P4's beat AMD's best overclocked.

Your MSI GF4 64MB is a MX,nothing great.For a few $ extra you could get an ATI 8500 or a GF4 4200,both leave the GF4 MX in deep sea.

Oh yes a P4 with a VIA chipset!?!?! Come on,get atleast a 845 DDR solution.And did you know boards like the Asus P4T533 dont cost a fortune and let you use RAMBUS memoty.RAMBUS costs little now and lets the P4 shine.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 1 month later...

all this is extremely interesting. I have been an AMD supporter for a while now but I am very aware that P4's are very good proc's. Im still contemplating whether or not to build a p4 machine next. Intel is doing a good job on getting their prices lower which is always a plus, and, you said the rambus is better than ddr? I should read more about the two cause i really dont know much about RAM. All i know is that rambus used to cost a bundle, when ddr is and always was dirt cheap. Well, thanks for all of your posts about the subject, even though I didnt start the thread, its always good to read peoples opinions and knowledge. and IMO on overclocking, i think its pretty pointless. Only something to brag about. Why OC when you have such high speed procs already? Why run the risk of burning your proc or adding instability? I just dont see the point.

------------------

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

ABIT KR7A

512mb Mushkin pc2100 DDR

Koolance pc2-601w Watercooled case

Samsung 16x48 DVD

Plextor 12x10x32A CDRW

Hercules Game Theater XP 6.1

Various other gidgets/gadgets

Klipsch 5.1'sc>s>

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

Oh yes a P4 with a VIA chipset!?!?! Come on,get atleast a 845 DDR solution.And did you know boards like the Asus P4T533 dont cost a fortune and let you use RAMBUS memoty.RAMBUS costs little now and lets the P4 shine.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

hey you seem to know what your talking about. What do you (or anyone else) think about the Asus P4-S533 boards matched with 512 MB of PC2700 DDR RAM? What should I expect from this setup good or bad? The P4T + RAMBUS combo is just over my budget.