Synergy SF-2 and Reference RF 3 II

qlele

I just recently replaced a pair of SF-2 with a new

RF3 II. At the same listening volume level, it seems to me the SF-2 is much louder than the RF3 II. I often have to turn the volume up much higher to get the same listening level.

Can any one explain? I thought the RF3 II is much better, stronger and more punch for the money. I am driving this speaker with a Sony STRDA-3ES receiver.

Quang Le.

It could be that the receiver does not put out that much current into the load. The rf3II's are a little more reactive loudspeaker and require an amp which can put out a little more current. I am not sure of the specs or such of the sony unit in question, but why don't you try a friend's yamaha / pioneer / denon / marantz / receiver ? It certainly can't hurt ! Also, the surrounds on the twin woofers take a little time to soften up and become a little more compliant. Room interaction can have an effect on output as well. Have you experimented with room positioing yet ? Try moving them roughly 8 - 10 feet apart and vary the distance from rear wall from 3 feet - 1 1/2 feet. Zero toe in seems to work best for me. If you look for specs on a power amp or receiver, check to see the current output for each channel. If you can't get this info from the salesperson / manager, try the website or call the distributor or area sales rep. One of the above persons should be able to answer that question. For my uses, my marantz sr4200, a low-end unit, can drive my rf3II's to a level at which I do not care to listen to without hearing protection. It only produces a claimed 65w/channel.

Quang, I have a pair of RF-3's as well and agree they they don't seem to put out as much volume as my previous pair of Kg4's. I am running a high end Yamaha. No offense to anybody but, I am not sold on this "break in" period thing. I've had mine for 2 years. On the other hand they sound good and can still peel the paint off the wall just not quite like the old ones. As far as power goes these things are supposed to be like 98db instead of 94 like my old ones. The higher the number the less power it requires to drive the speaker Klipsch professes this on their web site. Anyone else have input on this I am curious too?

This message has been edited by Airpirate CVG on 06-12-2002 at 08:50 PM

I'm thinking this is only an impression.

The SF2 is a brighter, more agressive (no offense intented) speaker, and since our ears are more sensitive to higher frequencies, we interpret that as being louder somehow.

I'll do a quick comparison at work, but I'm pretty sure that's it, it's just that the RF-3 is a more controlled, tamer speaker, not that it's not loud.

Besides, as was stated previously, with minimal input power, the RF-3II's can and will reach levels that are way too high to listen at safely. so if you really think they can't go loud enough, you've probably already damaged your hearing!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Without use of an SPL meter and pink noise source, you are more likely hearing the room induced peaks rather than true output differences between the two speakers.