Yamaha HT Receiver Suggestions

Rivernuggets

Could anyone recommend a good Yamaha HT receiver? My uncle is on the prowl. I don't know his desired price range, but go ahead with whatever. The more info and models, the better. Here are his words:

I feel the most needed upgrade to my system is a new surround receiver. My Yamaha RX-V659 is doing okay set up as 7.1 channel, but it is time for HDMI connections, updated surround decoders and HD RADIO! Unfortunately, Yamaha is a little poopy about what models they include HD radio with. Haven't checked out what's current 'cause I hate to dream without being able to realize the dream! I am fairly hooked on Yamaha because they tend to have relatively decent dynamic reserve (last time I checked) and I remember a big positive change in the sound going from an Onkyo amp.
I'm quite ignorant with Yamaha receivers so what better place to ask? Thanks guys!

• Moderators

Surprised you didn't get an answer.

I don't know about the new Yamaha's, I have one probably over 5 years old and it also does not have the new BR decoders or HDMI. What it seems with most Yamaha's is like most other companies is look for the features you need and go from there. It appears that the features and wpc are about the only big differences until you get to the higher end of the line, there you may find some that stand out a little more but by then like most companies you could almost move into separates.

I have to say from my experience Yamaha's seem to be tough, I have never had a problem and you hardly hear of one breaking prematurely.

Yamaha does make great receivers. I'm listening to my RX-V750 right now, augmented by a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 power amps driving the JubScalas. The RX-V392 in the bedroom also sounds really good.

The newest Yamaha receivers have some interesting upgrades and should sound even better.

Are you looking for new or used? Knowing your uncle's affordable price range is an important starting point. "A bit more than I had planned to spend" usually works out well for me. Are you having difficulty finding out which models include HD radio? "A little poopy" doesn't convey what you mean. Is the info hard to find? You could call Yamaha directly, or just check their website.

Why not check out what's current? The newer the unit you buy, the longer it will be up-to-date, and the more use you will get from it. In the long run, that's the thriftier way to go. Personally, I don't believe in replacing most things I buy with the equivalent model. Whenever I get a new item, I like it to be a higher model than the previous one, as well as newer. It's one of the affordable ways to end up with a higher-end setup.

I own the Yamaha 1065 and I really enjoy it for movies, easy to setup and the YPAO works fairly well, it is 2 years old though. I just went on the Yamaha web page and they basically have four separate lines with up to 12 models per line, so it can be confusing with out a budget.

Will your uncle need 4k pass through and 1.4? Some of the models have XM satellite radio and a front usb port for music.

I'm right there with Dtel, my AVR is a few years old and though it does have HD audio decoders and HDMI (only two, a real bummer if you have more than that to connect and dont' want to use a switcher like I have to do) I have been out of the active market for a little while, like detl said, find the features you want and work from there.

I have been very happy with my Yamaha equipment and have had several over the years, while the video side of things on my AVR are skipmy the audio has been great.

You might consider the a1000 Aventage, I think it's got everything you want.? $1000 retail.If you like Yamaha you should love the Aventage series.I did not pay retail but about $700 when it was just released, still more than it was worth. I sold mine mint for a little over $400, and that took a while so thats the starting point.There are newer models but way overpriced, imo.