Great new beers you've tried?

Tremors

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We use Great Lakes, Vintage, AHD, East town, Imperial. Let me know what you find out! As for the "Best" stout, I always tell people that it comes down to personal tastes. Personally I'm really digging the Founders - Breakfast Stout, right now. Concentrations of oatmeal, chocolate, coffee make for a very palateable albeit heavy blend. It's tasty but definitely not an every day kinda beer. The higher ABV makes it worthwhile in small amounts, lol. Goose Island (out of Chicago) released their bourbon stout a few weeks ago, and its already sold out. If you get a chance to try that one though, it's VERY good. My go to store got 60 4/packs of it (ten cases) upon initial and only shipment ....put it on sale at 3pm, sold out at 3:07pm, WITH a 4/pack per person maximum. Kinda like a Rolling Stones concert.

The craft beers in Little Rock are ok but nothing to get excited about.

Oregon and Washington have the best microbrews I've ever sampled. Incredible!

But my all time favorite beers right now come from North Coast Brewing. The Rasputin Imperial Stout is top notch.

NC-Brewing-Brand-Image-tagline-press%20%

The craft beers in Little Rock are ok but nothing to get excited about.

Oregon and Washington have the best microbrews I've ever sampled. Incredible!

But my all time favorite beers right now come from North Coast Brewing. The Rasputin Imperial Stout is top notch.

NC-Brewing-Brand-Image-tagline-press%20%

Yes, you are correct. The Rasputin is very good, I forgot about that one.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but what is the best stout out there? I really dig Guiness, but have tried other stouts and that's pretty much all I drink.

My wife and I love Guiness too. We aren't much for beer drinking. She likes her wine and I like bourbon and rum.

Not sure if you can get Duck Rabbit Milk Stout were you live, it's a small NC brewerey but if you can find it, I'll bet you'll love it.

Posted Image

http://www.duckrabbitbrewery.com/index.html

Here's a site to check out ---> http://beeradvocate.com/

Been there, it's a great site, thanks. I've got my finger on the pulse of the beer/wine scene due to my work. I'm just looking for suggestions for beers that others here have tried as a way to inspire/provoke conversation on a topic that is probably pretty common amongst some of us. Also, to look out for blips on the radar that have not perhaps made it onto the big beer scene, if you know what I mean. I do like the trading and swapping that goes on at these types of sites though. But for me it seems too labor intensive, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best stouts I've tried was from a Portland, OR brewery that I DJd at, but I can't remember the name of it. Where I live is *very* limited in choices of anything. I can't wait to get back to a city.

Stouts are my choice of beverages, my favorite would be Celebrator a Dopplebach from Bavaria, next in line would be Köstritzer, Spaten also makes a few good beers; the Optimator and Salvator (both stouts as well).

Also if you're into craftier beers, UniBroue out of Canada (I believe) makes some FANTASTIC brews, Ephemere and la Fin Du Mond are amoungst my favorites wheat type beers.

My day to day beer in Yuengling. On special occasions, I enjoy Guinness - any Guinness! Mostly now a days I take a nip or have some table wine like Chiante.

I feel like I am commiting Heresy, but I have had a few of those Bud Platinums. They are actually good, much to my surprise; but the thing I like the most of all is the color of the bottle.

One of the best stouts I've tried was from a Portland, OR brewery that I DJd at, but I can't remember the name of it. Where I live is *very* limited in choices of anything. I can't wait to get back to a city.

Stouts are my choice of beverages, my favorite would be Celebrator a Dopplebach from Bavaria, next in line would be Köstritzer, Spaten also makes a few good beers; the Optimator and Salvator (both stouts as well).

Also if you're into craftier beers, UniBroue out of Canada (I believe) makes some FANTASTIC brews, Ephemere and la Fin Du Mond are amoungst my favorites wheat type beers.

I've had all of these stouts and Unibroue beers and despite not being a huge fan of stouts as a whole, I'd say that your spot on with your assessment as these are all very good. Unibroue makes a limited run beer for my work each year called Vintage Ale. We sell it across the country for $4.99 per/750ml bottle and its QUITE delicious. I buy two cases each year and age them for THREE YEARS before even touching them. Its the most patient ive ever been with anything in my life, lol. All of unibroue beers are bottle conditioned and most age exceptionally well, up to about 6 years. You are correct, they are out of Quebec to be exact.

When I was in college there was a beer called Greasy Dick, Griesedieck Beer, that was a local favorite, We would wrap our lips around one or two of those on the weekends. It was cheap, but did the job.

Wow, don't think I'd ever admit to wrapping my lips around a greasy dick...but to each his own. J/K, I hope you know. It's funny though how the beers we tried and enjoyed in college tend to stick with us, if not at least in our memories. My college beers were all from the same local craft brewery and my college buddies still request that I bring them some when traveling across country (cause that's totally convenient I might add, lol, not really ;)

My day to day beer in Yuengling. On special occasions, I enjoy Guinness - any Guinness! Mostly now a days I take a nip or have some table wine like Chiante.

I feel like I am commiting Heresy, but I have had a few of those Bud Platinums. They are actually good, much to my surprise; but the thing I like the most of all is the color of the bottle.

Yuengling has its moments where it's all the rage here in Michigan. Quite honestly, I don't get it or understand why. I think it's just the exclusivity of it. It's not distributed here in Michigan and the nearest state to get it that I'm aware of is in Pennsylvania where it's made, if I'm correct. Dont get me wrong, it's pretty good, just not great IMO. Which is why it's so baffling when I'm at a friends house and someone mentions having had a Yuengling recently and everyone's ears perk up. I've been on the beer scene for a number of years now and really appreciate the perspective of ANYONE willing to offer it when it comes to good beer or their favorites. Yuengling has never come up in conversation but on occasion when someone mentions having just traveled to PA and brought some back. Then you'd think they we're preaching the good word because EVERYONE wants to listen AND score a bottle from the unlucky schmuck that mentioned this forbidden stash......

Yuengling has its moments where it's all the rage here in Michigan. Quite honestly, I don't get it or understand why. I think it's just the exclusivity of it.

Yuengling has become pretty mainstream here in Florida(maybe because of their brewery in Tampa). The lager is just okay, kind of like a light amber colored Bud Select. The Black and Tan on the other hand, is pretty darn good IMO. Not Guiness/Bass black and tan good but still very drinkable. Have not tried the Yuengling Octoberfest yet.

Bill

I forgot to mention an old favorite, Iron City. It's another PA beer.

My taste for beer has changed many times over the years. When I was an underage kid in the 70's, it was Old Milwaukee. Why you ask? Because I was a kid and it was the cheapest beer.

I can say without hesitation that I do not and never have had a taste for hoppy beer. I tend toward a full bodied flavor, tending to be more on the bitter side. The two micro breweries here where I live like hops. YUK! Too bad really.

Yuengling meets that criteria when I am going to have a few beers and chugg them. A six pack of Guinness would make me sick. I drink it slowly...

I actually have a beer can collection. I have a six pack of Billy Beer. Poor Billy Carter. Remember JR Beer? I have those cans as well. How about Primo? Hawaiian beer! Got them. I am going to make a shadow box and display them one day.

Man this escalated quickly,

Yuengling has its moments where it's all the rage here in Michigan. Quite honestly, I don't get it or understand why. I think it's just the exclusivity of it.

Yuengling has become pretty mainstream here in Florida(maybe because of their brewery in Tampa). The lager is just okay, kind of like a light amber colored Bud Select. The Black and Tan on the other hand, is pretty darn good IMO. Not Guiness/Bass black and tan good but still very drinkable. Have not tried the Yuengling Octoberfest yet.

Bill

dido on their black and tan, we don't get Yuengling here in the mid west, but a buddy of money gets it from some truckers running back and forth to the east coast. I don't find anything special about their larger.

this time of the year I like my beers bold but not to bold as I am not a stout fan, But I do love my nut brown ales, one of my favs. is Goose Island which they just brought back this year. When I first got into micro brews I wasn't a big fan of Sam Adams but I have acquired a taste for quite a few of there beers especially there seasonal brews. We have a couple of local breweries here in Omaha, one of them a good friend of mine works for is Lucky Bucket that sometimes I get to try a few single batches that my buddy brings around well worth it. The last one he got a keg of was their pumpkin spice that was really good, and I don't typically prefer pumpkin brews as I don't like spice, or any kind of fruit tasting beer but theirs was good.