RIP Dion

j-malotky

Picking a jury is always a crapshoot. In my prosecutor days, a prospective juror responded to the jury questionnaire as follows:

Q: Highest grade completed in school?

A: "Cs & Ds"

Let's hope twelve reasonable people can mete out at least a small measure of justice for Jennifer and Dion.

Edited by DizRotus

That is excellent news. So what about Mark's brother and the others including Shirley?

Bob Leonard's trial begins in January in Allen County. I haven't heard about the other trials, I assume they will be after Bob Leonard's trial. 

Remembering back to the news that night and seeing Dion's picture on the news... and then in the days just after I remeber hearing the news report that the homeowner had boarded the cat... and in utter dismay in that instant I knew it was intentional - and said so right then to my wife - who boards a cat if they are going out for the weekend?

Even in Ft. Wayne they had a very hard time seating a jury.  "All" of the potential jurors questioned said they knew about the case and already considered the defendant(s) guilty.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm glad nobody was killed in that blast. Yea those are scary situations, not knowing the cause of the blast. Any house could develop a gas leak, and instantly blow up. 

The Richmond Hill blast was brutal….over 100 homes damaged, locked doors blown off their hinges 5 blocks away. It's amazing more people weren't hurt. 

• 3 months later...

That is excellent news. So what about Mark's brother and the others including Shirley?

Bob Leonard's jury selection starts today. He is trying to convince the judge to let him defend himself. The judge is arguing against it. He faces 51 felony counts, including murder, arson, and conspiracy charges. They are seeking life in prison.

It's often attributed to Lincoln, "He who represents himself has a fool for a client." I say let him do it. The trial will go faster, then he appeals on the basis of ineffective assistance of counsel, which he would argue even if defended by Clarence Darrow.

• 1 month later...

Bob Leonard was convicted on all 51 counts. There was some kind of ruckus after the verdict was said between him and some of the jury. He tried to stare down a few, but two people said they just stared back.

Dion's Father was there for both trials, the media interviewed him again. He said he's glad it's a guilty verdict and justice will win. Very sad indeed.

• Like 2

Sentencing is a month or so away. They're predicting two life sentences without parole.

John Longworth (Dion's Dad) just gave another interview. He said "the thing that bothers me the most is knowing my son burned to death"

So sad. He also said "it's good to know someone as evil as this has been taken out of circulation"

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Leonard was convicted on all 51 counts. There was some kind of ruckus after the verdict was said between him and some of the jury. He tried to stare down a few, but two people said they just stared back.

Dion's Father was there for both trials, the media interviewed him again. He said he's glad it's a guilty verdict and justice will win. Very sad indeed.

Fantastic news! So sad for his father to have to sit through both trials - I hope these verdicts bring him some form of peace, even in the face of his loss.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...