RIP Dion

j-malotky

• 1 month later...

I was a prosecuting attorney in Michigan; no capital punishment but life without parole. I convicted 2 eighteen-year-old males of 1st degree murder. They're both still in prison almost 4 decades later. Only the Governor can pardon them.

For many reasons, I oppose capital punishment, the least important reason being it costs more to execute someone than to incarcerate for life. The seemingly endless appeals cost more than imprisonment.

If anyony deserves execution, it's these three. Nonetheless, life in prison is a more lasting punishment.

• Like 1

I was a prosecuting attorney in Michigan; no capital punishment but life without parole. I convicted 2 eighteen-year-old males of 1st degree murder. They're both still in prison almost 4 decades later. Only the Governor can pardon them.

For many reasons, I oppose capital punishment, the least important reason being it costs more to execute someone than to incarcerate for life. The seemingly endless appeals cost more than imprisonment.

If anyony deserves execution, it's these three. Nonetheless, life in prison is a more lasting punishment.

This is pretty sobering news for me to read before breakfast. Yes, I often check the forum before I eat in the (usually late) morning.

I agree with DizRotus. These killers are evil, but if the state kills people, it taints itself and all its citizens with evil.

As well, for some criminals, dying is a kind of escape for them. Life in prison denies them that.

Thanks for the update, Amy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dean,

some months ago watched an interview with the woman weeks before she was arrested. She was complaining bitterly about how stressful the situation was along with the "i did it" tattoo she had on her forehead.

she was confronted she that was faking crying as there were no tears to go with her act.

defensively she said her tear ducts didn't work. imagine her tear ducts will be in working order by the time she hears the verdict.

The details are still sketchy, but at least 1 person died in another house explosion.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130227/METRO02/302270439/1409/metro/One-person-dies-Royal-Oak-house-explosion

I was approximately 4 miles from the explosion and heard it while in the basement. I hope it was not "foul play" like the one in Indy. The nearby houses were damaged, but not to the extent in Indy. The houses nearby had their windows blown out.

It appears to be a natural gas explosion. Natural gas is extremely powerful. It's almost surprising this doesn't happen more often. I hope the fatality count stops at one.