(3D) wow I had no idea.

Heritage_Head

I have seen many movies at the theater and on smaller lcd

like displays in 3d and almost always walked out thinking that the 3d seemed

almost pointless to the experience. So to spend any money and time on 3d seemed

like a huge waste.

When I bought a new blu ray player it really got me thinking

about trying it if it didn’t cost too much. Well it turns out it would only cost

me a little under $120 to get two sets of glasses and the sensor for my

projector (jvc rs-45). My projector although considered pretty good for 2d gets

really bad marks for 3d when comparing it to other projectors in the same or

even cheaper price range (3kish). So my expectation’s considering my history

with 3d and the jvc not so great 3d reviews were pretty low. So I asked a guy

on avs who does amazing projector shootouts and reviews (zombie) if it was even

watchable on the jvc and if I should waste my money considering I’m not a 3d

fan already. He basically said get it and you will love it at home on a

projector with a big screen. So I ordered everything and started reading

reviews on what blu rays to buy.

I’m shooting onto an ats screen (1.2 gain 125” 2.35) and sit

around 12’ away. I started watching 3d movies on it a few weeks ago but didn’t want

to give a real opinion on it tell the newness went away a little bit. So here

goes.

The first movie I watched was Harold and Kumar 3d xmas. I didn’t

have the movie on blu ray yet and liked the movie. Plus it got a pretty good 3d

review. It had lots of really cool pop out parts and definitely made the movie

fun to watch. It wasn’t jaw dropping or anything but left me wanting more. The next

movie was cars2. I didn’t have this blu ray because the movie isn’t that great

imo. Again it was fun and made the whole

movie more interesting. However even that wasn’t enough to like the movie. These

are movies I had NOT seen on my projector so the experience was hard to really

compare to how 2d would have been.

The next three I HAVE seen on this projector in 2d and are

three movie that to me kung fu panda, how to train a dragon, and legends of guardians

that are pretty tuff to top in terms of sound, picture and overall movie experience.

In all of the years of watching movies from the first time I was blown away by

the sound of the 7s to the wow of 3 svs subs to when I lowered my projection

screen down for the first time and was in total shock at how awesome a 125” screen

looked. I have never been so blown away by a movie experience then I was watching

these three movies in 3d (especially panda and dragon). The emotional power of

the movie is incredible from start to finish. The characters look so real it’s

hard to describe. It’s one thing to see a normal looking person standing in

your room (like in Harold and Kumar 3d) but when you see a giant dragon walking

around in front of you WOW! I’m not saying I’m going to go order every 3d movie

I can find. In fact i did watch a few clunkers (like rio, or fright night to

name two) that left me really unsatisfied. And panda and dragon were not

perfect. They both had parts with bad crosstalk (main reason the jvc gets bad

3d reviews is crosstalk). But I remember my gf looking at me at one point and

saying “have you ever seen anything so cool!” and laughing during dragon.

I could not have been more wrong.

RH thanks for the input on 3D. I think in a home setting, 3D can have more impact. My theater going 3d experiences have revolved around my 12 yr old. Course we go see the latest greatest animation shows for her. And always in 3D. The ONLY times I've enjoyed the 3D experience is when I can sit in the middle of the theater and close enough so that my personal viewing angle is filled up with the movie. This helps draw me into the story. If I'm way far in the back, I can see the ceiling, walls, other people etc etc.

We just saw Wreck it Ralph this weekend and there were several times that the 3D experience enhanced the movie and it was acctually enjoyable. Had great seats just like above. So to this, I think it is much easier to replicate in a home environment.

You can tailor your seating distance to fill up your view which helps give you the full 3D feel.

Are you going to try Avatar? I haven't checked any reviews or anything...just figured as stunning as it can be in 2D, maybe the 3D rendering was awesome.

I have a 3D samsung 55 inch tv. it has the passive glasses, infact its the exact glasses they use in the theatre.

I chose this option over the active shutter lens because of headache issues. I've had good luck with mine. awesome picture. i have about 40 3D blu ray movies.

I will be picking up a jvc rs45 tomorrow and have viewed 3D on it extensively. I think the jvc for 3D may be fine if you have saw nothing else but there are great projectors out there for 3D. I just sold my epson 5010 a few weeks ago and it was fantastic as the brightness really makes the depth look way cooler. The brightness on the 5010 is awesome but the motion of LCD and sxrd and lycos is horrible. This being said I picked up an Optoma gt750 for $620 shipped on amazon, even though this projector puts out only 720p the sharpness and smooth motion makes for a better 3D experiance. Its funny as I am about to take ownership of a 45 and having owned the epson 5010 that a cheap dlp $650 projector can give me the best 3D experience. Another great feature is that the optoma has no gaming lag unlike the epson that gets your butt owned in a first person shooter online. I love the jvc 45 and can't wait until tomorrow as it has the best ever 2D crap 3D but I have a crap 2D and great 3D for peanuts. I also have the optoma monster vision arriving as I can use a vesa port on the optoma and jvc and enjoy a radio frequency 3D signal. When I had the epson I could not even turn the volume up and down on the HT system because the IR transmitter block out all other ir signals in the room

"

Quick edit here : There are some great 3D titles and horrible ones. The worst 3D title is John Carter as it was fuzzy and crap and the best for me is the Jim Carry "Under the sea" as there is a fish scene that has to be the ultimate "here take a look through these glasses" party appealing 3D demo to wow and amaze guests. Hugo is another solid title although a boring movie, Avatar has no pop outs but has just a great non crosstalk appeal like Hugo. Ghost rider is pretty good but its a converted 3D flick Dr Seuss is fantastic where as Snow white and the huntsman was just lame.

What glasses are you using for the 45? I cannot wait to finally have the jvc X30 in my setup tomorrow. One thing I hated about the Epson 5010 was the black level, on a cinemascope 235 movie the bars were grey instead of black and very very distracting. I would ask everyone to avoid the epson 5010 as its all hype and people who give it a great review are coming from a low end pj or have never owned one before

I have the sony bdp 790 and use the darbee with that combo. I love the darbee and it is great but it appears to have a less roughly effect on my optoma 750 than it did on my epson 5010. I think the pixel structure on the 5010's lcd grid depraves the darbee. I am very excited to try out the darbee on a 2D movie on the jvc as it has a larger pixel fill

I really hope thats not the case, the epson was not very good on action movies and I always wondered if I was seeing the directors intended affect. I did try out the frame interpolation and some times it worked great like on battle ship it was great but other independent type of movies it was just awful and horrible on nearly every dvd no matter what. I was under the impression that next to dlp lycos was the smoothest tech for motion so I will have to look into that

No idea was just looking at stats. I do know Epson stats are

inflated a little with contrast ratio but wasn’t sure about motion. The clear

motion on the 45 works good but sometimes it’s too much imo. It’s not perfect

and took a bit to get used to (I have it off sometimes depending on the movie).

Sounds like you have spent time with it so you know what you’re getting. I love it but have nothing to compare it to. I

have read like you said it’s the 2d movie king hands down a bunch of times.

Kewl, good to know. I think my next purchase will be a 60 or 65" TV depending on my next house. Maybe even a projector if I have the room for it. I am interested in trying out 3D as it seems to be getting better and more accesible. I suppose netflix will start offering 3D one of these days too.