Need help & feedback on Klipsch SW-308 or REL T2 subwoofers

Bluehusky

I have never owned a subwoofer. Past two years I have gone from just a 2-channel to adding Home Theatre as well. My friend Moray suggested I add two 8" subwoofers to my system. I know I do not want the "Boom & Bang" that I hear in traffic, rather prefer to compliment and enhance my speakers bass. I primarly use my system; 30% Music and 70% Home Theatre. Primarily use Netflix's disc/download, BluRay, as well as Cable.

Have found on the Internet Klipsch SW-308, 8" direct and passive speakers. And for $50 more per sub, found KEL T-2 subwoofers, also with 8" direct and passive speakers. The KEL company is British and only makes subwoofers. I welcome all comments/suggestions as I no local stores to go listen/learn.

For the past 30 years have proudly only owned Klipsch. Currently my fronts are Forte's II (updated the tweeters & Mids with Titaniums, earlier this year along with new crossover.) Center speaker with KLF C-7. Rears are Heresy III's.

My room is a rectangle, width 14' X length 25' X Height 8'.

Thank you in advance for suggestions. All the best, Jeff

I would think just about any 8" sub unless it was a tuba or something wouldn't even keep up with your mains at all. If you are wanting to add depth of a home theater you need something that will dig somewhat deep. If you didn't need them for music, and just wanted something respectable for the money I would go with a couple RW-12d's from newegg at 299 each. Or look into something like dual epik legends. Or maybe just a killer single sub that will dig deep. You do have a pretty big room. Look for a used svs pb-12 plus or maybe even a pb-13 ultra. That or if you wanna save money can always go DIY route. But I would think for someone who has never owned a sub the first option of dual RW-12d's for 600 would blow you away for that amount of money. Or if you want to dig a bit deeper you could try the legends or a single svs. Even their smallest ported the svs pb-12nsd will dig below 20hz. And that's the stuff you want for the ultimate experience.

My room is a rectangle, width 14' X length 25' X Height 8'.

Jeff,

For less than the price you would spend for either pairs of the subs mentioned, I would seriously look into this subwoofer:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/ele/3409586982.html

I have owned two of these and they are wonderful for HT and music. Your large room will appreciate a 15 inch sub. An older sub but still very desired by many today. Many on this forum enjoy their Paradigm Servo 15a's and both of mine were sold here to current members.

Bill

Jeff,

I know this is not a direct answer to your request about the two subwoofers you mentioned, but this Velodyne will easily exceed what either of the subs mentioned(even in pairs) will do for HT and music. This thing will do anything you want it to. Maybe out of your budget but not often can you find a $4700.00 subwoofer for $1200.00. A flagship sub for 1/4 the price of retail would surely enable you to recoupe your $$$ with profit if you decided to sell.

.com/forums/p/http://community.klipsch168930/1854165.aspx#1854165

Bill

Thank you for replying. I was under the impression that my room isaverage in size. BTW; my data was off it is actually 22 Length X 13 Wide X 8 High. My friend who has given me good advice in the past had reccomended two - 8" subwoofers. He based that on my desire to avoid a punchy, booming sound. I want the subwoofer to enhance the BASS of the music and excitement during Home Theatre.

I read your suggestion as getting One - larger subwoofer, and add another if I think I need it. Do you have a brand and/or model reccomendations for me. Do you like the Klipsch subwoofer or should I go with a subwoofer company?

I appreciate our help. All the best, Jeff

Thank you for your feedback. BTW; my data was off it is actually 22 Length X 13 Wide X 8 High. My friend who has given me good advice in the past had reccomended two - 8" subwoofers. He based that on my desire to avoid a punchy, booming sound. I want the subwoofer to enhance the BASS of the music and excitement during Home Theatre.

I read your suggestion of getting an dual Epik Legends subwoofer. Do you not like Klipsch or the Rel Brands? Do you use the dual Epik model yourself? DO they enhance and compliment your music and HT, and not perform puncy and booming sound?

I appreciate our help. All the best, Jeff