US Grand Prix, Circuit of the Americas, Austin (Elroy) Texas

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

I have really been enjoying the US Grand Prix here at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas the last two days, and very much looking forward to the race starting here in just less than two hours. I have been to previous USGP's in late 70s and early 80s and this is really something. They need to get the new road built into the track, but other then that, it has really been an incredible weekend so far.

Anyone else from Klipsch forums on here besides me. I thought I had heard that Gilbert was going. Next year we will need to get some of you Gearheads down here to enjoy this.

Travis

I see your governor called out the national guard for police duty for the race.

Or did he?

If he didn't, someone is eligible for an all-expense-paid-vacation for several years in a prime federal facility.

If your governor did call them out you need to ask him why he abused his authority, he is not supposed to call the guard out (except in times of an emergency).

• Moderators

I see your governor called out the national guard for police duty for the race.

Or did he?

If he didn't, someone is eligible for an all-expense-paid-vacation for several years in a prime federal facility.

If your governor did call them out you need to ask him why he abused his authority, he is not supposed to call the guard out (except in times of an emergency).

I have no idea, there were National Guard there. I'm sure Alex Jones or someone of his ilk will have all of the "facts" and low down on if they were there or not. However, Posse Comitatus does not apply to the national guard, and as far as I know, the Guard can assist local law enforcement within a state whether an emergency exists or not. I beleive the Govenor can even request the Guard from another state to assist in law enforcement. There is no requirement that an emergency exist.

As far as not doing anything and someone going to a federal facility for several years I have no idea what you are talking about.

Travis

I hear you.

In the early 1970's our college crew used to go to Watkins Glen for F1. It was a big camping trip weekend and Armco was just coming into use. So you could find a spot next to the track in the woods to watch close up.

The movie 'Grand Prix' was then just a few years old and was shown someplace on the grounds. My great aunt had brought me to see it in Cinerama in NYC years before. She got sea sick during Monico and had to leave. Still a good flick for a motorhead but the cars in the flick did not have Colin Chapman ground effects and seem like Model T's by later standards.

The college crew also went to Mosport (more camping) and we saw and heard the Mark Donough (sp) 917K (?). Wonderful flat 12- turbocharger noise.

I'm not sure modern stuff could touch these experiences.

WMcD

Wish I could have gotten down there for that, but it's a little too far. It's great you had a good time.... Very glad too hear it..[8-|].... Maybe we can keep F1 in the states for awhile. I live just north of Manhattan and am praying the NJ street course gets the thumbs up for next year...[A].....The front straight at Texas seems to be the signature piece of road on the course, plus it looks like one of the best front straights in F1. And it looks amazing on TV.

"As far as not doing anything and someone going to a federal facility for
several years I have no idea what you are talking about. "

Federal prison (imprisonment not exceeding two years).

" apply to, the National Guard under state authority from acting in a law
enforcement capacity within its home state or in an adjacent state if
invited by that state's governor"

"There are a number of situations in which the Act does not apply. These include:

National Guard units and state defense forces while under the authority of the governor of a state;
Troops used under the order of the President of the United States pursuant to the Insurrection Act, as was the case during the 1992 Los Angeles Riots."

"The governor of Alabama did not request military assistance nor did President Obama authorize their deployment. Subsequent investigation found that the Posse Comitatus Act was violated and several military members received "administrative actions."

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/10/army_reviews_shows_troop_use_i.html