Khorn Top hats with belle bass section

kodomo

I have recently purchased a complete upgrade set for my Klipschorns and am waiting for them to arrive at the moment. I will have spare mid drivers, tweeters, woofers, horns with the grills and crossovers. It will be very easy to build for me the two spare tophats of the klipschorn. However I do not want to build the bass section because I do not have 4 corners in my room to utilize 4 khorns in my setup. It is also possible that I may just use one of them as center channel. Do you think it would work if I used khorn top hats and build the belle bass section utilizing the ak-4 crossovers and the k33 woofer.

great idea. the tweeters, mid driver, are usable.....horn, and xover is not.

if you go that route I would make the complete Belle cabs, obtain a suitable horn, and change the crossover. The khorn top hat is too deep to use on a belle, and the khorn xover has too low of a cut off to be used on a belle. best bet would be to sell what you don't directly need for the belle project and just do a correct Belle config.

The Belle Klipsch is only 18 inches deep (see pdf for a measured drawing)

I don't remember where this Belle drawing came from but I believe that someone on the forum did it. there are others out there if you search.

The K400 horn and K55 driver are more on the order of 24 inches so the Belle would not be able to be placed against the wall. The la scalla is deep enough to house the K400 and driver so that may be an option for you. The peavey FH-1 is 24 inches deep and 30 across the front so that may be an option for you also. The Khorn top that I have measures 31 across the top motorboard so it is still a bit wide.

this is a quick drawing I did from measurements I took off of the FH-1 thatI have

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/6/1466030/FH-1%20dimensions%205%20view.jpg

the topic is

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/143071/1460437.aspx#1460437

You can always get a different horn (shallower) and still make the Belle bass bin if thats what you would like to do.

Belle Klipsch2.pdf

I think the idea sounds good. As you said, you can build the top hats easy enough. I'm not sure, but you might be able to get the K-400 horn in the Belle HF cab. The horn and driver will stick out the back, as the top hat would also overhang the Belle bass cab. That wouldn't be a problem for me. Either way you can nestle the Belle's closer in to corners if you like. I think the AK-4 crossover would be preferable to the crossover in the Belle since the AK-4 crosses at 400hz. Post pics when you can, please!

I would not put the k-400 horn in belle hf. I will build the khorn top and build the belle bass section. It may look awkard on top of the belle, I will model it in the computer and have a look first. I will let everyone know how it sounds in the end. I am still waiting for the volti shipment yet, so I cant start now. It seems this will be an early 2013 project :)