What's a feller to do?

CaptnBob

After much soul searching, I decided to part with my much loved Belles. I put them on ebay, was contacted by several nice people, none of whom bid like like they said they would (gripe) and finally sold them. I offered to help the buyer find a shipper to get them to him, the ususal suspects, UPS, Navis, C & F, but he decided to go with Uship.

Well! Some guy shows up in my driveway with a panel truck and without a phone call and wants to pick up the speakers. After checking his "bonafides" I rolled the Belles out. Meanwhile he was staring at his van. It was half full of scrap lumber from a construction job he had been on earlier in the day. He asked me if I wanted the lumber, but I respectfully declined. He crawled into the van and started tossing wood around until there was enough room for the Belles. We loaded them in, and I suggested surrounding them with cardboard. We did, he threw the shovel he'd been using to prop one of the doors open on top, and then said, "Well, time to talk about money." I replied "Say what!?!" He told me I owed him over $500 for shipping. I suggested he check with the guy who bought them, as he was planning on paying on delivery. After more hemming and hawing, I told him one of two things would happen - either he would take his chances with the buyer, or we would unload the Belles and roll them into the garage.

He finally drove off with them, after he signed a receipt saying he'd received the speakers, and I took pictures of the Belles both on and off the van.

The next day he called me, saying he told the buyer he wanted the money up front delivered by that favorite of con men everywhere, Western Union. The buyer said he'd pay on delivery. The last I heard, the driver isn't answering the phone, although he has tried to call me, the buyer wants to claim the Belles as stolen, and no one seems to know where the big horns are.

Klipsch speakers deserve a better fate than this.

The irony is I got quotes from both UPS and Navis. Both were cheaper than the guy on Uship.

I know, it's not my problem any more, but it still bothers me...

You exhausted your fiduciary responsibilities with more than required diligence. The buyer elected another course. About all you can do is send him the image of the license, as well as copies of the document, and offer your best wishes.

Then, go out and spend the cash on something really kewl...

Dave