Dynaco Mk III and my 1980 LaScala's

BassmanBruce

I have had my pair of laScalas now 4 months and still love them.

I started off with my Marantz 8b power amplifier that I tube and capacitor rolled till I got what I liked best. Mullard 60's xf2 and Russian K-40y coupling capacitors turned out to be the winners.

I have a pair of Dynaco Mk III's that I have done some mods to and tried them with the laScalas but perfered the Marantz 8b.

I put the Dynaco Mk III's on the bench and converted them to triode mode, and tried them again on the LaScalas. All I can say is wow, the Mark III's are now the winners!!!

Dynaco Mark III mod description-

Poseidon driver boards with Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plate first stage, RCA clear top 12AU7 second stage, GE 6550a outputs. Panasonic EF series coupling capacitors. Amps now in triode mode with output tube screens tied to plates through 100 ohm resistors.

These Mark III amps sound fantastic on my LaScala's now, and the poor 8b is now on my "B" system. Very sad!!!!

Hope you all have a marvelous Thanksgiving, Bruce

Hi Tony and thanks for your post.

The Poseidon boards are from Triode,USA

http://store.triodestore.com/diytubemk3.html

Also look at www.DIYTube.com

When I went to triode mode with my Mark III's is when they really started to shine.

I have had a pair of Mark IV's and sold them after I bought the 8b. I still have a Stereo 70 in my

collection. Thanks again, Bruce

Hi Moray and thanks for your post.

I have several dozen RCA 7025 tubes in my collection. Will sort out a high Mu pair and will try

them. I was using a pair of GE black plate 3 mica 5751's, but found that I liked the Telefunken

smooth plate 12ax7's better into the LaScalas. Into my previous speakers I perfered the 5751's.

Thanks for your comments and best to you, Bruce

Hey Bruce. That's good to hear. Ihave a pair of MK III's I've just gone through and recapped and changed out any out of spec resistors. Have been considering the Poseidon boards, but just haven't made a final decision. Sounds like quite a change from the original. Could you give a little more detail on the Poseidon board changed the sound?

BTW, what preamp are you using and do you know what the output impedance is? I was told that the Poseidon board necessitates having a preamp with low output impedance. I don't understand the details.