Biggest audio regret?

DizRotus

In a weak moment (many years ago) I let SWMBO persuade me to donate my AR XB table, to which I'd fitted an SME 3009 Series ii arm with Shure V-15III, to Purple Heart. What a huge mistake! Beat that.

It's especially distressing now that my 30 y.o. son is considering acquiring a vinyl collection, and also seeing what I could get for the rig on eBay. The eBay/donater's remorse is actually irrelevant since I'd give it to my son or keep it before I'd sell it.

In reality, a simpler Technics direct drive turntable would be better for a vinyl newbie, so I'd keep the AR/SME unit if I hadn't been such an idiot.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buying a pair of 'unheard' speakers for $7 Grand based on glowing recommendations from some audiophiles. One was a former Khorn owner (Not part of this forum however) that I put a lot of faith in. They sounded terrible. The 'audition' cost me $2 Grand. Speakers will go unnamed, but you can PM me if interested.

My biggest audio regret is too many years of unprotected hearing of lawn mowers, power tools, guns, motorcycles, flying airplanes and mixing sound for bands without a pair of these:

I hear ya' . . . barely.

Too much really LOUD music from 4 Speakerlab SKhorns driven by 600 watts of Dynaco SS power used in mid-70s DJ biz didn't help my high frequency hearing. The calendar doesn't help either.

It was some records that somebody borrowed (can't remember who) who never returned them and I can't remember the names of the records either it was so long ago. I gave my buddy the AR turntable with the Shure VIII which would start up occasionally and create tons of hum at about 98dbm SPL. I also gave him the Fisher 202B with the FM100 tuner which would still be nice to have except for the muddy bass with the K-horns.

JJK

Gave away my entire lp collection in the 80's when the "new" CD came out, making vinyl obsolete. Included in my collection were original Beatles, Rolling Stones,Led Zep, etc. I wonder how much 500 original LP's from the 60's thru 80's would be worth today? (I have an idea since I've been re-collecting!)

Failing to rescue an E. H. Scott AM/FM tuner from the Fort Bliss Center Information Office. I was Chief, Radio/TV Branch. OK, I WAS the Radio/TV Branch.

Anyway, this thing was stunning. Two chassis, probably 30 plus tubes in all. Chrome everything. Out of use for years when I got there. Probably from the late 30's to mid-40's as it had the old FM band.

At the time, I was only about 22 and while I knew it was beautiful I figured it was just a very heavy bunch of stuff neat to look at and had no reference for its real value. No doubt it wound up on a scrap heap. Real shame. I hope somebody came along a rescued it.

No doubt it would have been worth a lot of money today. I think the Scott "Quaranta" was one of the most complex tube radios ever at nearly 50 tubes and over 600 pounds.

Dave

Tie for biggest audio regret here:

When I joined the Army in 1972, I gave away about 150 LPs and 400 45rpm records in perfect condition. I wish I had the 45's most of all...since many were hard to find then and almost impossible to find now; All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix, Sunshine of Your Love by Cream, etc....

When I got out of the Army in 1976, I had been assigned in Italy, and I had recorded all 600+ LPs I had bought to reel tapes and then sold or gave the LPs away. Humidity and other things destroyed the tapes over the years, and I should have just kept those LPs and shipped them home, in retrospect...

You live and you learn....

-Andy

About four years ago I called on a CL listing in Boulder and went with my daughter to look at a "Luxman amp and pre-amp" that a guy had for sale. He was never in town and had someone else who knew nothing about the equipment set up a time when he would be home. So, not knowing model numbers or any other pertinent info we finally found the place about 50 miles away with really poor directions and no GPS. We were on a tight time frame and running late by the time we got there. I had come with cash in hand just in case there was something I wanted.

Turns out the guy was a driller that worked mostly internationally and when he was gone would let friends stay at his house. Lot's of parties from the looks of things. In the main house there was a couple of beat turntables and cassette decks, nothing of much interest. In the separate hot tub house was a luxman M6000 amp, C-12 preamp, T-12 tuner and a pair of speakers with multiple drivers and kind of an odd narrow slope design. I honestly can't remember the make or model. He said they were "expensive" when he bought them (even for him).

Well, I feel like an idiot now looking back but I really didn't know much about the M6000 at the time and was only interested in the amp and preamp anyway. Get this, he wanted $500 for everything! Speakers, turntables, cassette deck, tuner, pre-amp and the M6000. He wouldn't split it out, he wanted it all gone. I remember him saying "yeh, it seems to be that amp that everybody is interested in".

I passed. I had one in my hands, I sat it down, turned my back and walked away! It hurts just to type that. [:(]

My BIGGEST, well, that might be when I decided that $1800 for two brand new Khorns in 77 was too much. I suppose it was a good thing as I was in the army at the time and living in the barracks but GOSH DARN those would have sounded great in my room, not to mention every other place I lived since then.

Other regrets, not folowing up on a lead my son had in his navy barracks. He had a room inspection and he had just recieved the KG 5.5s and a Dennon AVR that I gave him. One of the inspectors had a set of speakers and offered them to my son at $1k, turned out to be a pair of very nice condition La Scallas. My son wasn't too interested (he didn't know better) but I never pressed him to follow up either. OH well [:S]