Biggest audio regret?

DizRotus

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a friend who does landscaping, yard work, etc. Atlanta in the summer... he never uses the air conditioning in his truck, the windows are down. I told him that having the windows down will kill his hearing, especially in the left ear. He was shocked and had never considered how the wind noise will do that. He's always turning his head to listen with his right ear towards you.

He wears earplugs when using the tools...

Bruce

I've got to agree with bhendrix et al, regarding not protecting my ears. Why are we so d@mn stupid when we're young?

I've been able to keep most of the good audio gear I've acquired, or at least sold it for respectable prices. That, of course, created a storage problem. It also is causing my wife to go nuts. Reading these tales is making me want to clutch this stuff closer! It's a real problem, especially since this personality glitch of mine applies to all sorts of objects. I don't mind getting rid of stuff, I really don't. But I have to get a decent price (or see that it goes to a deserving person). The regret comes in when I see something I sold/gave away has substantially increased in value.

Bruce, 25 years ago I found, at a garage sale, a beautiful, mint condition mid-60s Gibson L4-C. I already had a '73 D-28 (which I still own), so I sort of fancied myself a beginning guitar collector. Maybe 10 years later, with the kids small, and needing dough, I took the Gibson down to a well-respected guitar shop in Palo Alto (Gryphon Stringed Instruments) to consign it. They put a $1100 price tag on it, and it sold fast. I pocketed around $880, which was decent at the time (no eBay or Craigslist yet!). As they say, that money is gone, and I know that gee-tar is worth a whole lot more. I try not to think about it!