Top DAC chips

mustang guy

PCM1704UK is the best DAC I've ever heard. the most analog-sounding in fact. I use Audio-GD Master-7 which is an ultimate design based on eight 1704s. it's the best DAC device I've heard so far among some dCs and Nagra DACs. it sounds out of this world. you won't believe how good this 15kg device sounds.

audio_gd_ref7-1_17.jpg

M75-150x150.jpg audiogdref71_9-150x150.jpg audiogdref71_7-150x150.jpg audiogdref71_4-150x150.jpg audiogdref71_1-150x150.jpg audiogdref71_2-150x150.jpg audio_gd_ref7-1_15-150x150.jpg audiogdref71_3-150x150.jpg audiogdref71_10-150x150.jpg  

I'm afraid to ask how much. And if you have to ask, you can't afford it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mark

Where would the ESS SABRE™ Ultra DAC ES9016S be on the list?

Real DAC'S don't use chips :)

PCM1704UK is the best DAC I've ever heard. the most analog-sounding in fact. I use Audio-GD Master-7 which is an ultimate design based on eight 1704s. it's the best DAC device I've heard so far among some dCs and Nagra DACs. it sounds out of this world. you won't believe how good this 15kg device sounds.  

I'm afraid to ask how much. And if you have to ask, you can't afford it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mark

Maybe we can draw out a few of the engineers to comment on DAC chips.  In the mean time, the PCM 1704 chip is actually out of production and becoming much more difficult to find.  Many believe that the end-of-life of this chip represents the end of the era since today's production of DAC's seem to focus on the Sigma-Delta type (also known as “one-bit” chips).  Although, Schiit seems to be exploring military R2R parallel multibit type chips in its more expensive multibit designs.

There appears to be a fairly large contingency of people that believe that using a R2R multibit type of chip will result in a much more "analog-type" of sound in music reproduction vs. designs based on the Sigma-Delta chips.  I've got examples of gear where some have the R2R multibit and others have Sigma-Delta chips and to me it seems that something like recreating the pitch and tone of a Saxophone from a recording involves developing a few system synergies with my other gear over the choice of DAC chip.  While I'm not "married" to either type of chip, I do have a latest "infatuation" and sure would like to try a Schiit Yggdrasil.  However, I fully understand that for others, YMMV greatly in this very subjective area of audio reproduction. 

The Sigma-Delta chips such as the ESS SABRE mentioned above tend to incorporate more technologies onto one chip such as, two channels for stereo and even eight channels on some versions, volume control, up-sampling, and many times the chip will have its own clock oscillators.  Overall, production costs of a Sigma-Delta chip vs. the R2R / parallel multibit chips are substantially lower, which becomes an additional very attractive feature in designing a component. 

As implied above, I’m not an engineer; however, the way I understand the differences between the ways the R2R / parallel multibit converters and the sigma-delta type work are that the R2R types use separate resistors and switches for each dynamic modulation of the audio signal, whereas the sigma-delta types, rely on a constant “comparator” to define changes in the audio signal's dynamic magnitude.

Just like comparing anything, each type will have its own advantages and disadvantages when considered for an implementation.

For example, the main advantage of multibit conversion is that it is theoretically less susceptible to the influences of clock jitter.  The main disadvantage seems to relate to its sensitivity to heat fluctuation.

The sigma-delta chips generally have an advantage over multibit by being less sensitive to heat fluctuations; however, the sigma-delta chip can have very negative reactions to any amount of clock jitter.

Can any of the more technical, or more experienced, add to the above, or correct anything that I may have misunderstood so others can benefit? 

• Like 1

100 nude 0.01% Vishay PG foil resistors per channel replace the usual integrated chips for D/A conversion and eliminate the need for I/V conversion. A custom IR filter compensates for the usual sin(x)/x -3dB loss at 20kHz which non-oversampling converters suffer.

closeup1.png

post-36163-0-59940000-1453172752_thumb.j