Klipsch RW-12d vs. Definitive Technology Powerfield 1800 (Need opinions)

Yoeddy

Hi all,

I currently have a Klipsch RW-12d that I bought about 3 years ago used. My HT is a movie only environment. The only beef that I've had with the RW-12d is the port chuff with high volume and extremely low frequencies. Other than that, it's a great sub. I have an opportunity to purchase a used Definitive Technology Powerfield 1800 for about 3 bills. It appears to be all there cosmetically and the owner stated that there aren't any mechanical issues. I don't know much about this sub other than it has a 500 watt amp, an 18" driver, no auto on/off, and that it is an older sub. I'm assuming this would hit low frequencies nicely.

If you guys have any advice, I'd appreciate any input. Keep my Klipsch? Go with the DT? Any differences? I plan to audition it this week, but I thought I'd get some opinions.

Thanks,
Jason

Port chuffing at high volumes meant that the sub may be being overdriven trying to keep up with the mains. Either that or it's calibrated too hot (or not calibrated at all). If it's set up properly, I'd look for another RW-12d to help take the load off the existing one. Stack them and you should be able to back down the gain on the existing one.

I have the RW-12D too and the plastic on the front at the bottom was vibrating. Read about it here or AVS and just shoved a piece of cardboard behind the plastic. I've also read about the port being loose and people re-glueing it. Might want check and try one of those "fixes" before assuming it's truly chuffing.

I have the RW-12D too and the plastic on the front at the bottom was vibrating. Read about it here or AVS and just shoved a piece of cardboard behind the plastic. I've also read about the port being loose and people re-glueing it. Might want check and try one of those "fixes" before assuming it's truly chuffing.

Good call.

definitely good call. one of my subs was perfect while the other one had that rattle....I took the speaker out and checked the port....turns out it was my plastic rattling as well.....so I pulled it off and used some gorilla super glue.....kept pressure on it an once it dried that got rid of the rattle....unfortunately I will never be getting that piece off ever again lol. Just another suggestion if you don't do the cardboard thing.

Oh ok. I'm sorry. Alright right below your speaker grill there is a plastic right below it that has that gold klipsch logo.....it hides the sub port....hence if you reach under it you will feel the port going up at an angle....basically your speaker grill sits right above it and is formed to match the curves of that piece....that piece comes off....usually its pretty tight but since it isn't permanently attached it may not be as tight as possible and it could rattle against the wood whenever the sub is playing stuff because of all the vibrations...so the other poster said he put a piece of cardboard behind it....he would have to elaborate on his procedure....I used super glue to form that tight bond. either way I'm sure you will have to take that entire bottom piece off....it just pulls straight out but it is tight so you have to play around with it and be careful. But the easiest way to mess with it is to take your grill off....that way you can see the entire top portion of the plastic piece we are talking about....the klipsch logo will be in the middle slightly raised.I will take a picture of it tonight and upload it

Sorry for the delay Yoeddy.

Finally got a pic for you. I had forgot what I had actually done until I took a look again, not pretty but helped. Jamed some folded up white paper behind the plastic and then took some black foam and shoved it in with a flat-head screw driver. I have no idea how to take the plastic or port off. I'm guessing you can tell if your port is loose by just sticking your hand up in it and feeling if it is loose.

Posted Image

No screws. It should just pull off but as I said it is in there tight but if you're careful you should be able to get it off.....and to access the port you have to take the speaker out.....the port rises as it goes to the rear of the cabinet. At the rear of the enclosure Klipsch glued the port to a wood riser block looking thing. sometimes that glue comes apart from shipping....if you do take your speaker off you will know right away of its loose or not....it shouldn't move at all. and yes you can stick your hand up the port at the front but I don't think you will be able to really move it but its worth a try.....and yes you were correct. I meant the whole plastic piece....now if you can't get it off then the option above doesn't look bad....its quick and simple and your grill will hide the paper unless you like to run your speakers naked (like i do sometimes)

ps you will need a sercurity bit to get the speaker off. I believe its a Torx screw. I already had a security bit set because I have upgraded numerous things and taken them apart such as tivos, palm pilots, game systems etc. The sets are cheap on ebay but if you don't already have a set then you have to weigh whether its worth the trouble or not. The port could be fine. After I glued the plastic on 1 of my subs I have heard nothing but clean bass. And I have pushed them pretty hard with The Dark Knight and Fast 5 Blu Rays among other movies known to give your entire system a workout....so as stated before if everything checks out and you are experiencing port noise then you will need to turn the gain down on the RW-12d and get a second sub. there is no reason why the Klipsch shouldn't work with the Definitive or any other sub. You will have to spend more time matching the levels and getting everything sounding right with a SPL Meter if you have 2 different subs compared to having 2 of the same subs...I think newegg is probably still having their "sale" on the rw-12d so it could come out cheaper for you to go that route. Of course getting a second sub is a last resort. I have 2 because my movie room is a converted garage so its huge. I had a ton of dead spots where I could not hear any bass....even when blasting movies....the second sub evened things out and took away the locality of the bass.....it fills the whole room.....and I can feel it too....and thats with the volume on both being set to -9db.....eq set to depth....hopefully you can find your problem. I've blabbed enough!

Thanks for the help guys. I gave it the 'ol college try and didn't really notice any results. Honestly, it's a great sub, but I think I was wanting it to do more than it is capable of. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Defintive Technology PowerField 1800 and by the time I bought this and sold my RW-12D, I actually made some money. The DT is in flawless condition...had to do it. It is one heavy sucker and she gets down ultra low.

Anyway, thanks again. Here's a picture of the new beast!

Jason

post-21058-13819825494372_thumb.jpg