Emotiva UMC-200

Rivernuggets

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I had a chance to preview it during the Audioholics GTG 2012 event in October. I spoke with the salesman about it and it's differences between it and the UMC-1 and it didn't seem like it was much of an upgrade. Not really sure what changes they made to it. You can see some additional pics I took of it here.

youth, it wouldn't surprise me if thats the case. You spend 2+ years tweaking the shit out of the UMC-1 to get it to work properly you might as well use that to your advanatge. Its obvious they want 2 tiers of processors and that $500-$600 range is a very good nitch to compete in.

On another note, the XMC-1 looks downright sexy....i want it or i think i want it.

"*Purchase the new UMC-200 and receive 25% off Emotiva processors for life (details). If you hold a Generation 2 processor upgrade certificate you may redeem it for 40% off the UMC-200."

25% off for life? That's incredible. I really like the video-on-standby feature. For a little more than a grand, you could have yourself a very nice processor/amp.

I had a chance to preview it during the Audioholics GTG 2012 event in October. I spoke with the salesman about it and it's differences between it and the UMC-1 and it didn't seem like it was much of an upgrade. Not really sure what changes they made to it. You can see some additional pics I took of it here.

I think the one "upgrade" they made was 3D 1.4hdmi. Other then that it seems very similar to the UMC-1. It still seems like a great deal to me at $599 for a preamp.

• Moderators

I think the one "upgrade" they made was 3D 1.4hdmi.

Ah ok, I don't use 3D. I was mainly wondering if it would be an "upgrade" for me. Don't think it will be but definitely a good deal for someone looking to get into separates. I'm guessing they have likely spent LOTS of time getting this one right so they don't have the issues they had with the UMC-1. I read last night that the UMC-200 is supposed to have much faster lockon times when switching video sources.

The description on the website says as low as 1 second time to switch. It't something they call "Xpressview switching technology". It also has EmoQ Gen 2, and video and audio pass through while on stand-by. Probably not worth it to upgrade from the UMC-1, but definitely worth it for someone looking to buy a processor imo.

• Moderators

Probably not worth it to upgrade from the UMC-1, but definitely worth it for someone looking to buy a processor imo.

THat was my thought.

I just received an email from Emotiva announcing the UMC-200.

From my understanding, I do not believe the EmoQ Gen 2 is probably still far below Audessey and some of the other room correction software.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 42" LG LCD/LED smart tv, and the UMC-200 looks like something I could afford. I really need a pre-amp/processor to connect all this crap together and have a remote to run everything. And it looks cool...

I'm just going the 2.1 stereo route, or 2.2? Right and left stereo subwoofers...

I'm going the ghetto 2.0 style route now. Optic digital audio out from the smart TV to a Behringer SRC2496 Ultra-Match Pro sample rate converter for a DAC. XLR analog out converted to single ended RCA, to a pair of 60K AB type "J" pots. From there to the amplifier, a Sonance Sonamp 275X3 SE.

It works, but it kinda sucks.

Mike.

Good lord, how does one break paragraphs with a google browser?! words all jammed together...#%&*!!

I'm thinking of going this route also, I figure if I can exhibit some self control and choose the Panasonic 60" GT50 instead of the 65", I can save myself $600. That should make enough room to pick up the XPA-5, and the UMC-200.

Question: I am a newbie when it comes to separates. What more is required as far as interconnects etc.? Aside from the cost of the equipment, what other costs are involved and where is a good place to shop?

Thanks!

Question: I am a newbie when it comes to separates. What more is required as far as interconnects etc.? Aside from the cost of the equipment, what other costs are involved?

You'll need RCA audio cables to connect your preamp to the amplifier and speaker wire from amp to speakers. Of course HDMI cables for TV and HD sources.

where is a good place to shop?

Accessories4less is a great place for A/V gear and cables and wire.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AudioCables/Audio-Cables/1.html

Bill

What about XLR's? If I decide to go with the Emotiva, I see XLR's on the amp but not on the Pre? Would I use XLR-RCA or just stick with RCA's?

Others may correct me here but my understanding is no sonic benefits if both preamp and amp don't have XLR's.

Bill