Please Help before I have a breakdown.

ezmoney68

I have a set of Klipsch Quartets that I bought new over 20 years ago. Along the way I added a powered sub, center channel and surround speakers that were close to the best that Klipsch offered at the time. Recently, a teenage individual somehow managed to blow the woofers in the quartets as well as destroy the sub. I also noticed a hiss possibly coming from one of the midrange horns. I called Klipsch and the put me in touch with a company in Florida that can respool the woofers. My question is, will they ever be the same or am I throwing good money after bad by trying to repair them? Do you think that issues will continue to appear due to the magnitude of the damage? The cabinets are fine as well as the passive radiators. The tech in Florida said it was unlikely that the tweeter or midrange horn suffered any damage, but the hiss concerns me.

I assume the the teenager hooked up an ipod or other poor quality source and had the levels all turned up to ten. He has yet to come clean with the details of this adventure, but I am sure that the house was rocking. I can' t really afford to replace the system right now, but would the Cornwall be the way to go when I save my pennies? I haven't had the need to compare speakers for years, but am absolutely sold on Klipsch.

Any advice is appreciated!

I assume the the teenager hooked up an ipod or other poor quality source and had the levels all turned up to ten. He has yet to come clean with the details of this adventure, but I am sure that the house was rocking. I can' t really afford to replace the system right now, but would the Cornwall be the way to go when I save my pennies? I haven't had the need to compare speakers for years, but am absolutely sold on Klipsch.

Any advice is appreciated!

OK...RE: the blown Quartets: I see two options here, either repair the current woofers, OR get replacements ones. All other things being equal, I would go with the less expensive option of the two.

RE: Cornwalls...you can't go wrong with Cornwalls, but teenagers (and others who don't have a clue as to what they are doing) can destroy pretty much any speaker ever made, so keep that in mind. It helps if the amp doesn't put out more wattage than the speakers were rated for, though.

Personally, I would check on prices for parted out woofers on ebay and such (don't forget to fgure in the shipping), and compare that to the cost of rebuilding what you have.

As for the hiss...that could well be the amp or the tweeter...only way to tell is to hook up some a functioning speaker to the particular output terminal on the amp to check it.

Hope this helps! A number of years ago I came home early from work and could hear my Heresys blasting over 200 yards away from the driveway...and when I unlocked the door to the house and walked in I found that all the tone controls were turned full up, the contour was on, and the volume control was way past the point where I never wanted it taken, and could hear the clipping of the amp through the speakers, while my ex and her oldest were inside the neighbors house two doors down...and that is one of the reasons she is my ex. So, I understand your situation. Luckily, only 32 wpc were going into my Heresys and they survived with no damage. The ex and her kids never could figure out why the stereo never worked anymore when I was not at home....Can you say "amp fuses removed"??

-Andy

Set young one in a chair with car battery and jumper cables in front of him. Dim lights for better effect...Strike spark with jumper cables away from battery and sugest that he/she never do what they done again......[li] This can be done in garage with only park lights on and battery still in the car .........................[;)].......Taz

Any good-sized city will have a shop that can re-cone your woofers, generally shipping them back and forth becomes prohibitively expensive. I've had this done and done it myself. Putting new voice coil/diaphragm in mids or tweets is a DIY project very easy to do. I'm sure instructions are here somewhere or contact Forum member Bob Crites for parts/instructions.