Stylus bent, what should I do?

mustang guy

I have no idea what happened. Look at the picture below. Should I send this to Needle Doctor and let them fix it, or take it off and try to fix it myself? Since it is Christmas season, I fear it may not be on top of their priority list, so I may not be listening to vinyl for a long time.

I'm sad.... [:(]

post-49931-1381982491044_thumb.jpg

I've always considered it fatal...

Dave

Ditto[:(] The chances of getting it back in-line without further damage are pretty much like the odds for the current Power Ball[:o] I do love that Cart though, Seti has one that I borrowed while awaiting my Sound Smith and she's a beauty. Would love to have the 2M Black as a backup but at this time the budget cannot withstand that kind of blow.

Crazy that the replacement is only $46.00 cheaper than a new one[:|]

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-2M-Blue-Phono-Cartridge_2?sc=2&category=63

I would gently tweak it back. Your results may vary.

Trouble is, the cantilever may now be too stiff and will wear your vinyl. I'd try DIY only on a record you're willing to throw away, and basically would replace the stylus. You can order one from Needle Doctor if it's removable, or you may have to send it in. Except for doing an explicitly user-replaceable thing, I wouldn't try to fix it yourself. Call Needle Doctor.

Man, I didn't realize how lucky I've been tweaking needles over the years until now. Maybe while tinkering with all these turntables around here I've risen my talents to "needle docter" status..... but I doubt it. I estimate 4 needles tweaked, only 1 broken, No noticeable record wear so I'm calling it 75% success rate.[Y]

Oh, I do have an inspection microscope and I would have to give that instrument some credit. That and my surgical like skills with needlenose pliers.

I'd replace it too.

If budget is a problem any of the Ortofon 2M styli will fit that cartridge. You could get a 2M Red stylus for $100 less than the Blue. Then when you did spring for a new Blue stylus you'd have a spare on hand. I've had both a Blue and a Red at one time or another. I didn't think there was a whole lot of difference between them.

Both the Red and the Blue share the same cartridge body. The only difference between them is the stylus assembly.

That and my surgical like skills with needlenose pliers.

Indeed, as it appears you've done this successfully. However, most us audiophools would always have this nagging doubt, even if we got it straight and it sounded fine.

I'd rather just replace the dang thing...

Dave

That and my surgical like skills with needlenose pliers.

Indeed, as it appears you've done this successfully. However, most us audiophools would always have this nagging doubt, even if we got it straight and it sounded fine.

I'd rather just replace the dang thing...

Dave

I called Needle Doc and ordered a new needle. Kenneth told me I just slide the old one out and the new one in. No need to remove the cart. From now on, I lock the arm when not in use. Expensive lesson!

I called Needle Doc and ordered a new needle. Kenneth told me I just slide the old one out and the new one in. No need to remove the cart. From now on, I lock the arm when not in use. Expensive lesson!

It's a bit late now, but next time I'd look around for a better deal on the stylus. Needle Doctor's stylus prices seem to be on the high side.